The Unquowa School
Tel: (203) 336-3801
- The Unquowa School is an independent day school which has offered a traditional liberal arts curriculum with a progressive approach to families of both boys and girls from PreK-3 through eighth grade since its inception in 1917.
- Both class and school size are kept small to insure individual attention and to maintain a close community of children, faculty and parents.
- The schoolwide environmental science program includes habitat preservation and a sustainable nutrition component.
- Fine arts and both Spanish and Mandarin begin in early childhood, physical education occurs daily in each grade and Upper Schoolers participate in sports through the Fairchester Athletic League.
- High school placement service begins in late seventh grade for both day and boarding high schools.
- Whether students elect to attend independent or public high school, they find themselves well prepared academically, athletically and socially.
- Mission Statement: The Mission of The Unquowa School is to develop, educate and prepare our family of children with an unafraid spirit to achieve their personal best in a changing world.
- Unique Features: Unquowa is a school where children are truly known and parents are actively engaged.
- Our formal collaboration with The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, The Connecticut Audubon Center and The Fairfield Museum and History Center provides robust resources for the school’s “learning by doing” approach and allows students to apply knowledge to purpose.
- The Unquowa School hosts a farm camp and a variety of other summer programs on campus and serves as the summer home for Chamber Music Central, a classical ensemble program for students in Middle and High School.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||203 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies per grade|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chi Fit, Ski Club, Student Government, Yearbook, Yoga|
- Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
- Guitar Ensemble
- Choral Music
- Studio Art
- Graphic Design
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Science
- Daily P.E.
- Robotics/Computer Technology
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bridgeport Grades: PK-8 | 238 students
395 Anton St
Bridgeport, CT 06606
(203) 373-1552 1.7 PK-8
- Fairfield Grades: PK-9 | 252 students
2970 Bronson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
(203) 259-2723 3.4 PK-9
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.