- The Unquowa School is an independent day school which has offered a traditional liberal arts curriculum with a progressive approach to families of both boys and girls from PreK-3 through eighth grade since its inception in 1917. Both class and school size are kept small to insure individual attention and to maintain a close community of children, faculty and parents.
- The schoolwide environmental science program includes habitat preservation and a sustainable nutrition component. Fine arts and both Spanish and Mandarin begin in early childhood, physical education occurs daily in each grade and Upper Schoolers participate in sports through the Fairchester Athletic League. High school placement service begins in late seventh grade for both day and boarding high schools.
- Whether students elect to attend independent or public high school, they find themselves well prepared academically, athletically and socially. Mission Statement: The Mission of The Unquowa School is to develop, educate and prepare our family of children with an unafraid spirit to achieve their personal best in a changing world. Unique Features: Unquowa is a school where children are truly known and parents are actively engaged.
- Our formal collaboration with The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum, The Connecticut Audubon Center and The Fairfield Museum and History Center provides robust resources for the school’s “learning by doing” approach and allows students to apply knowledge to purpose. The Unquowa School hosts a farm camp and a variety of other summer programs on campus and serves as the summer home for Chamber Music Central, a classical ensemble program for students in Middle and High School.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||203 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies per grade|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chi Fit, Ski Club, Student Government, Yearbook, Yoga Chi Fit, Ski Club, Yearbook, Yoga, Student Government,
- Mandarin Chinese and Spanish
- Guitar Ensemble
- Choral Music
- Studio Art
- Graphic Design
- Public Speaking
- Environmental Science
- Daily P.E.
- Robotics/Computer Technology
Profile last updated: 10/04/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
FairfieldGrades: PK-8 | 230 students
605 Stratfield Rd
Fairfield, CT 06825
TrumbullGrades: K-12 | 424 students
575 White Plains Rd
Trumbull, CT 06611
BridgeportGrades: K-8 | 62 students
283 Lafayette Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
BridgeportGrades: K-9 | 267 students
395 Anton St
Bridgeport, CT 06606
StratfordGrades: PK-8 | 225 students
500 Wigwam Lane
Stratford, CT 06614
April 21, 2017
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
April 20, 2017
Private high schools offer strong college counseling programs which are ongoing and fully integrated into the daily activities.
April 19, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.