The Village School: An Acton Academy
5.00 (6 reviews)
- The Village School is a 21st century micro-school offfering a self-paced, project-based and learner driven education in a character-forging community.
- Our students learn together in mix-aged classrooms and learn to mentor and be mentored by one another.
- We are a part of the global network of Acton Academy Affiliate Schools and are accredited by The Association of Learner Driven Schools. We currently serve children in grades K-6 and will grow by one grade level each year until we are a full K-12 school, like our flagship school, Acton Academy in Austin, Texas. 2019-2020 School Year Studios Spark (Kindergarten): Ages 4 1/2- 6 Lower Elementary: Ages 6-9 Upper Elementary: Ages 9-12 *Our Middle School will launch in the Fall of 2020.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,900|
|Admissions Director||Lauren Quinn|
- What Sets Us Apart:
- Small class size
- Mixed-age studios
- Independent thinking
- Strong community utilization
- Students learn at their own pace
- No homework
- Hands-on & e-learning
- Socratic Guiding
- Travel is encouraged
- Outdoor Education and Play
- Character Development
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Annandale Grades: NS | 78 students
6531 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003
(703)941-9791 0.6 NS
- Falls Church Grades: PK-6 | 252 students
3433 Rose Lane
Falls Church, VA 22042
(703)992-0255 1 PK-6
- Annandale Grades: 1-12 | 200 students
7010 Braddock Rd
Annandale, VA 22003
(703)941-8810 1 1-12
This is a small learner driven school that not only engages our daughter with project based learning but pushes her to use her own resources to problem solve her educational and social issues. She is learning how to navigate school and the world by gaining confidence through the Action program and the unique structure of the classroom studio and learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Christy892
The Village School focuses on the whole child and promotes a growth mindset, facilitating a love of learning, independence, grit, and an academic approach for a 21st century world. I saw incredible growth in my child after just one session and with a year under her belt she grown emotionally, academically, and socially. I 100% recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - Cheryl
Our 7 and 9 year old kids are thriving at The Village School. The student-directed learning environment is what really drew us to the school. They have ample opportunity to explore the things that matter to them, and they can work at a pace that is right for them. They are happy, they look forward to school and they love to learn. The guides are patient, curious and supportive of the heroes. There are a lot of field trips and opportunities for the heroes to get out and explore, there are music, art and physical education programs, and ample time for them to just play and be kids. We couldn't be more pleased with the decision to entrust our learners to The Village School.
- Posted by Parent - Jean B
As a former teacher, I always had a dream of what I wanted education to look for my own children. Lauren and Christian have made that dream come true and exceeded any expectations I had. I am so excited to have my daughter in the Spark studio!
- Posted by Parent - Bridget
Our daughter has thrived at The Village School. She has learned a new level of independence, personal responsibility, and dedication. We have seen her confidence grow and she is excited for every new day.
- Posted by Parent - Cecili
As a parent, I have been very impressed with how intentional, thoughtful, open-minded, and truly child-led The Village School founders and guides are. This is a community of engaged learners (and families) who support, encourage, and inspire one other.
- Posted by Parent - SM
Nearby Homes for Sale
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.