Vincent Smith School
- Vincent Smith is an alternative 1-12 school that excels at offering differentiated curriculum for students with Learning Disabilities including Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Auditory & Language Processing Disorders; school reluctance; or AD/HD. We value assessing over testing and offer: Small, supportive classes (avg.
- 5 students/class); Academic Excellence; Differentiated Instruction; Strong Home/School Connection; Social-Emotional Learning; On-site speech, reading, counseling & occupational therapy.
- Taking Care of Kids with Special Learning Needs - 05/30/2020 - The Vincent Smith School on Long Island in New York serves youngsters with learning disabilities such as dyslexia. Some of the children also have sensory disorders (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity ...moredisorder (ADHD) or school anxiety. Back in early March, In anticipation of the remote-learning model that he realized was bound to occur in all New York schools, headmaster John Baldi set a plan in motion to serve his kids, way before politicians announced that schools would close. Out of concern that a lack of continuity would irrevocably set back his extremely vulnerable students, Baldi had his teachers and students training on Zoom early on, so they could hit the ground running once the inevitable occurred. When it did, they were able to convert to online learning in a heartbeat.Today, he Zooms from one online classroom to the next, so that schedules and routines are maintained. He also makes sure that each student continues to receive much-needed therapeutic services like speech, reading, and occupational therapy. Without that, these kids could fall behind quickly and, in some instances, irrevocably. Knowing that parents need as much support as students, Baldi spends much of his time talking, texting, and emailing them. He has even taught some of them how to use Zoom, alleviating their frustrations, and calming their fears.Baldi is also working hard to make sure his kids know they are cared about and missed by their teachers. He created a feel-good video montage of educators from the school, telling the students they`re missed. He`s also working to make sure that the students` families, including extended family members, don`t feel left out, by keeping the school`s social media platforms full of photos of the school`s remote-learning classes.The Vincent Smith School motto: "We teach differently because every child learns differently." That`s never been more apparent than during this very different environment of distance learning, and Baldi has been living and breathing that motto every day. hide
Vincent Smith School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language & Auditory Processing Disorders, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, School Anxiety|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants or skirts, collared white or blue shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$53,600|
|Tuition Notes||2019-2020 tuition for grades 1-12 includes ALL related services--speech, occupational therapy, reading, counseling, etc.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Baldi - Head of School|
|Admissions Associate||Michelle Hoyos|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anime, Art Club, Board Games Club, Chess, Dance, Debate, Music, PSAT/SAT Review, Self Advocacy and Mentoring Program, Sports Club, Superhero, Yearbook Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton, basketball, Gaga
- Vincent Smith School is Long Island`s premier prep school for students in grades 1-12 seeking small, supportive classes or need an individualized program for Dyslexia/Dyscalculia/Dysgraphia, Auditory & Language Processing Disorders, School Anxiety, AD/HD, and high-functioning ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).
- We provide an exceptionally warm and nurturing learning environment, specifically differentiated for personal growth as well as academic success. 85% of our HS graduates go on to college.
- Our students learn self-discipline, self-advocacy, and self-respect. We emphasize personal responsibility as an integral part of our academic and social-emotional program. On-site related services such as speech, reading, counseling, and OT are available in dedicated therapy rooms for all students.
- Vincent Smith School is chartered by the NYS Board of Regents and accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools. As an independent school, we are free of many public school restrictions such as state tests and common core requirements. We value individual assessing over rigorous testing.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 398 students
301 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
(212) 722-0610 16.4 K-12
- Manhasset Grades: 9-12 | 800 students
51 Clapham Avenue
Manhasset, NY 11030
(516) 627-2711 1.7 9-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 333 students
1713 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10029
(212) 995-1987 14.1 K-12
Vincent Smith, helped my daughter gain entrance into college where she did very well. This is a good , caring school with very professional and intelligent instructors and staff. It been 20 years since my daughter graduated, and we still speak fondly of this great school with a big heart. Hooray!
- Posted by Parent - Frances