Westchester School For Special Children
The Westchester School is a New York State approved, non-public school that provides educational and therapeutic services to students from New York City, Westchester County, Long Island, and Connecticut.
The program provides services to students, ages 3-21, with the classifications of Autism, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, and Preschool Student with a Disability.
- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Prekindergarten
- Enrollment: 234 students
- Acceptance rate: 75%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Students are referred by their home school district.
National avg.: 85%
- The Westchester School is an ungraded, self-contained program with a student to staff ration of 12:1:4 in the school-aged classrooms and 10:1:2 in the preschool classrooms. The school provides Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and Psychological Counseling as per each student's Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The majority of students enrolled in the school-aged program are diagnosed with cognitive impairments that preclude them from taking state exams. For this reason, the school's certified teachers create learning experiences that are relevant to each student's IEP and special emphasis is placed on functional academics, daily living skills, socialization, and pre-vocational skills. Teachers collaborate with therapists and administration to create a multidisciplinary approach when working towards realistic, yet challenging goals to motivate, without discouraging, students. In order to provide structured education for our students, the program utilizes components of the TEACCH model along with select components of ABA. In addition to the related services listed above, the school also has three full time behavior therapists and two full time nurses on staff.
Source: Verified school update
I am a Graduit from Westchester school for special children and I played ball and I like to read I loved science and I love reading book's and I singed the national anthem
Endorse Westchester School For Special Children. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
A Timeline of Private School Events and History
What was the first private school? What's the oldest school? What are some of the educational philosophies commonly found? Some answers here.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.