Westchester School For Special Children
- The Westchester School is a New York State approved, non-public school that provides educational and therapeutic services to students from New York City, Westchester County, Long Island, and Connecticut.
- The program provides services to students, ages 3-21, with the classifications of Autism, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, and Preschool Student with a Disability.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||255 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Students are referred by their home school district.|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Swimming, WeightliftingBasketball, Bowling,|
- The Westchester School is an ungraded, self-contained program with a student to staff ration of 12:1:4 in the school-aged classrooms and 10:1:2 in the preschool classrooms. The school provides Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and Psychological Counseling as per each student's Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The majority of students enrolled in the school-aged program are diagnosed with cognitive impairments that preclude them from taking state exams. For this reason, the school's certified teachers create learning experiences that are relevant to each student's IEP and special emphasis is placed on functional academics, daily living skills, socialization, and pre-vocational skills. Teachers collaborate with therapists and administration to create a multidisciplinary approach when working towards realistic, yet challenging goals to motivate, without discouraging, students. In order to provide structured education for our students, the program utilizes components of the TEACCH model along with select components of ABA. In addition to the related services listed above, the school also has three full time behavior therapists and two full time nurses on staff.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Rochelle Grades: 1-12 | 290 students
97 Centre Ave
New Rochelle, NY 10801
(914)636-6600 6.1 1-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 72 students
180 Amsterdam Ave., 3rd floor
New York, NY 10023
(646)795-3850 12.4 K-12
- White Plains Grades: 1-9 | 525 students
13 Windward Avenue
White Plains, NY 10605
(914)949-6968 8.7 1-9
- Albertson Grades: PK-12 | 186 students
201 I U Willets Rd
Albertson, NY 11507
(516)465-1695 16.8 PK-12
Nearby Homes for Sale
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.