Westchester School For Special Children
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (914) 376-4300
- The Westchester School is a New York State approved, non-public school that provides educational and therapeutic services to students from New York City, Westchester County, Long Island, and Connecticut.
- The program provides services to students, ages 3-21, with the classifications of Autism, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, and Preschool Student with a Disability.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||234 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Students are referred by their home school district.|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Swimming, WeightliftingBasketball, Bowling,|
- The Westchester School is an ungraded, self-contained program with a student to staff ration of 12:1:4 in the school-aged classrooms and 10:1:2 in the preschool classrooms. The school provides Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, and Psychological Counseling as per each student's Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The majority of students enrolled in the school-aged program are diagnosed with cognitive impairments that preclude them from taking state exams. For this reason, the school's certified teachers create learning experiences that are relevant to each student's IEP and special emphasis is placed on functional academics, daily living skills, socialization, and pre-vocational skills. Teachers collaborate with therapists and administration to create a multidisciplinary approach when working towards realistic, yet challenging goals to motivate, without discouraging, students. In order to provide structured education for our students, the program utilizes components of the TEACCH model along with select components of ABA. In addition to the related services listed above, the school also has three full time behavior therapists and two full time nurses on staff.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Rochelle Grades: 1-12 | 290 students
97 Centre Ave
New Rochelle, NY 10801
(914) 636-6600 6.1 1-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 398 students
301 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
(212) 722-0610 14.5 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 72 students
180 Amsterdam Ave., 3rd floor
New York, NY 10023
(646) 795-3850 12.4 K-12
I am a Graduit from Westchester school for special children and I played ball and I like to read I loved science and I love reading book's and I singed the national anthem
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Kaleema
Nearby Homes for Sale
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.