Wilmington Academy Of Arts & Sciences
5.00 (1 review)
Wilmington Academy Of Arts & Sciences Photo #2 - WAAS is the only school in Wilmington dedicated solely to the gifted, talented and highly-motivated student in grades 4-8. Come check us out. You and your student will love what you see.
- The Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences (WAAS) in Wilmington, North Carolina is an independent private school for academically motivated and gifted students in grades four through eight.
- In partnership with supportive families, WAAS offers a challenging and nurturing environment for students of academic and personal promise.
- WAAS fosters the abilities, imagination and motivation of each student so that he or she may grow academically and personally.
- The Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences (WAAS) operates on the belief that children are successful in educational settings that are created to meet their specific needs. Meeting the middle school population's needs drives the school's format and structure; meeting each student's learning needs drives the daily lessons.
- Making a positive difference in the middle school years makes a positive difference in the rest of the student's life.
- The goals at WAAS are to create a learning environment that inspires and encourages students to become life long learners and help them to be confident and competent in all skills.
Wilmington Academy Of Arts & Sciences places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||GIfted Students|
|Total Students||84 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Advanced Courses||Biology 1, Earth and Environmental, Math 1, Math 2, Math 3, Spanish 1|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,900|
|Tuition Notes||A one time long term building maintenance fee is added to the first tuition. Depending on the grade of the student, it could range from $100.00 -$500.00. The price is determined by how long the student could attend our school.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Upton|
|Admissions Associate||Jill VanCleef|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
MathCounts, National History Day, Science Olympiad (Elementary and Middle School), Speech and Art Competitions, Writing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Tennis Club (Male and Females)
- Wilmington Academy of Arts and Sciences (WAAS) serves students in grades 4-8 who are academically gifted and/or highly motivated. Typically, our students score 85-99% on the IOWA Assessments. WAAS students appreciate the fast paced, advanced and rigorous curriculum that prepares them for high school and college. If students attend all three years of middle school at WAAS, then they can earn up to five high school course credits. In addition to being an environment where success breeds success, students build and strengthen their skills in organization, time management, reading, writing, critical thinking, public speaking, technology and research.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wilmington Grades: PK-8 | 184 students
350 Peiffer Avenue
Wilmington, NC 28409
(910)791-8221 6.3 PK-8
- Wilmington Grades: NS-8 | 371 students
806 Piner Rd
Wilmington, NC 28409
(910)392-2067 1.3 NS-8
WAAS has been a wonderful school for my son. Not only do the teachers challenge him and encourage him daily, but the lesson plans are often coordinated across the subjects. Lots of opportunities for field trips and contests, if you want. He will enter HS with a lot of credits already completed.
- Posted by Parent - MomMomMom
Nearby Homes for Sale
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.