Academe Of The Oaks
5.00 (6 reviews)
Academe Of The Oaks Photo #7 - In March 2016, Academe of the Oaks became only the second school in the State of Georgia to be awarded a Green School certification.
- Academe of the Oaks develops a different type of student: one who is resourceful and able to think beyond facts, developing his or her own informed opinions and perspectives.
- An Academe education is the difference between memorization and thoughtful consideration.
- Rather than focusing on standardized tests or textbooks, we emphasize active involvement, creative thinking, and the exciting process of intellectual discovery
- Academe of the Oaks is the only Waldorf high school in the state of Georgia
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||87 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 18 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,500|
|Admissions Director||Eva Handschin|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Golf,|
Soccer, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Amnesty International, Bee Keeping Lab, Community Service Club, Debate, Fencing Club, Film Club, German Club, Global Nomads, Green Club, Hope Education Project, International Club, Literary Magazine, Model UN, Venturing Crew, Yearbook Staff, Young Physician Initiative
Arts and Music Programs:
- Academe of the Oaks develops a different type of student: one who is resourceful and able to think beyond facts, developing his or her own informed opinions and perspectives. An Academe education is the difference between memorization and thoughtful consideration.
- All Academe students explore every aspect of our Waldorf curriculum-math and science, literature and history, social sciences and the arts. We believe that high school is not the time to specialize, but to open minds and hearts to the world.
- Classes at Academe are small enough for our teachers to know each student as an individual, and students are encouraged to find strength in independence.
- We believe the arts deepen academics and strengthen skills of observation, engineering, and imagination. All our students participate in music, drama, and the fine arts, regardless of skill level.
- People that viewed Academe Of The Oaks also viewed these schools: The Ellis School of Atlanta, Peachtree Academy School, Greenforest Mccalep Christian Academy, Threshold Community Program (formerly The Community School) and Young Americans Christian School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Decatur Grades: 1-12 | 6 students
189 Sams St Suite A-1
Decatur, GA 30030
(678)973-0483 0.1 1-12
- Decatur Grades: K-12 | 240 students
3250 Rainbow Dr
Decatur, GA 30034
(404)486-6737 4.5 K-12
- Decatur Grades: 7-12 | 26 students
308 Clairemont Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030
(404)308-8548 0.8 7-12
Academe has been a fabulous investment. Our student benefited from the small class size, hands-on experience and classroom debate, and opportunities to garden, keep bees, play music, and draw. Don't be fooled by the casual atmosphere. It's welcoming and supportive, but coursework is demanding. Teachers have very high standards for scholarship, personal responsibility, and kindness. Also, college/university admissions officers are keenly aware of the unique qualifications of Waldorf-educated students. Be prepared to talk to a lot of recruiters: there's big demand for independent young thinkers.
- Posted by Parent - DecaturMom
Academe of the Oaks prepared our child for the rigors of college. In addition, Academe helped foster a love of learning in our child, helped build leadership skills and personal character, and supported our child on a path to pursuing her passion. Our second child is now attending Academe, and we continue to be just as pleased.
- Posted by Parent - au73
Academe of the Oaks provide a rigorous academic program. The small environment is the perfect fit for our daughter. The curriculum is designed to promote learning and human development versus preparing for a standard test. We are amazed at the knowledge our daughter has acquired in one semester.
- Posted by Parent - James McKenzie
Academe is a wonderful school. They truly educate the whole child. In addition to setting high standards in intellectual, artistic, musical and social disciplines, this school truly is student focused. They do an extraordinary job of instilling a sense of responsibility to self and to the world. Teachers here are passionate, knowledgeable and invested in student's success.
- Posted by Parent - cgm
Academe offers a unique approach to high school which includes a fresh approach to teaching that prepares students for future academic work. Students receive more individualized attention than is available at more traditional, larger schools. Academe is situated on a beautifully landscaped campus that include flower, vegetable, and woodland gardens.
- Posted by Administrator - janic
Excellent school-- warm, supportive atmosphere, lots of enriching challenges for the students. High quality of teacher instruction, parental involvement, and administrative leadership.
- Posted by Parent - allto
Here is an overview of the private school admissions process, as well as the steps needed to find the right private school for your child.
What do teachers earn? Teachers' salaries vary from state to state, indeed, from school to school.
Contract cheating is more common than most of us realize. Finding somebody online to write essays or term papers is fairly easy to do. The way we parents counter immoral behavior like this is to discuss it frequently with our children.