Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School
- Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School is a classic Montessori school for children 2-12 that follows both the method and the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori.
- In the spirit of Montessori education, all children are treated with dignity and respect.
- Care for ourselves, care for others and compassionate activism are the touchstones of belief at AGBMS. Here children are encouraged and challenged to develop their own unique gifts.
- Teachers are certified by the Illinois State Board of Education and the American Montessori Society.
- The school serves as an official practicum and observation site for Illinois State University and National Louis University.
- It is also affiliated with and designated as a model by the American Montessori Society.
- AGBMS is approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Deaf and Hard of Hearing|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||117 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies according to programs. Please see tuition info at http://www.agbms.org/tuition.html|
|Admissions Director||Debra Trude-Suter, PhD|
|Admissions Associate||Kim Roscoe|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Dance, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballDance, Field Hockey,|
Flag Football, Indoor Soccer,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Kolor Me Kids
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Physical Education, Soccer, Yoga
- Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School is a classic Montessori school affiliated with the American Montessori Society (AMS). All AGBMS teachers are AMS certified. AGBMS was founded in 1986 by a group of dedicated educators and parents whose goal was to build a school where children could experience the very best Montessori education. These parents, some of whose children were hard-of-hearing, also wanted a place where all children could learn together regardless of their ability to hear. Today, about 10% of our students are deaf or hard of hearing and work side-by-side with hearing students, who make up the other 90% of our students.
- We are named for the great inventor who was also a teacher of the deaf and married to a deaf woman, Mabel Hubbard Bell. Mr. Bell was a vigorous supporter of advances in education, and invited Dr. Maria Montessori to bring her progressive methods to the United States. The Bells started one of the first Montessori schools in the parlor of their home, with Mabel Bell as one of its first teachers.
- Whether you're looking for a preschool to jump start your child's education, or an alternative to traditional elementary school that provides a more individualized, holistic education, we invite you to come on in and explore all that Montessori has to offer children ages 15 months to 12 years.Our student/teacher ratio is on average 15:1 - compared to a national average public school ratio of 18:1. Our enriched curriculum includes foreign language, music, art, physical education and individualized reading instruction. And our new state-of-the-art facility, completed in the fall of 2008, is both beautiful and respects the environment by adhering to 'green' building standards.
- AGBMS has been designated as a model site by the American Montessori Society (AMS), and serves as an official practicum and observation site for National Louis University, Illinois State University, and Northern Illinois University. Our teachers are all certified by the AMS, and many have won national awards for excellence. Read on- and then stop in for a visit!Alexander Graham Bell Montessori School is located in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, serving Wheeling, Arlington Heights, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights, Des Plaines, Buffalo Grove, Northbrook, Glenview and other surrounding communities.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Buffalo Grove Grades: PK-K | 92 students
950 Ellen Dr
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847)541-8111 3.4 PK-K
- Deerfield Grades: PK-K | 22 students
1500 Wilmot Rd
Deerfield, IL 60015
(847)945-7581 5.3 PK-K
- Highland Park Grades: PK-K | 117 students
1301 Clavey Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
(847)433-3383 6.4 PK-K
Nearby Homes for Sale
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.