Alexandria Country Day School
5.00 (1 review)
- Alexandria Country Day School provides its students with an educational program that inspires curiosity and intellectual engagement, prepares them to succeed in the most challenging high schools, and allows them to discover who they are in a safe and caring environment.
- The development of strong communication skills, with particular emphasis on public speaking, is a hallmark of the School`s academic program.
- Small class size allows for frequent individual attention. Technology is integrated into all classrooms, and every student is issued his or her own iPad.
- Among Alexandria Country Day`s greatest assets is its Kindergarten through eighth grade structure.
- From the teachers we hire to the facility we occupy and the curriculum we teach, this configuration allows us to focus on the unique needs of children ages 5 to 14 without the distractions and very different social and academic dynamics a high school brings.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||200 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, skirt or dress and a green or white shirt or blouse)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 12 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Grades K-3 tuition: $28,500 Grades 4-8 tuition: $30,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Julie Lewis|
|Admissions Associate||Liz Hendrickson|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
We have a robust after school program with a wide range of activities offered
Application Process Age Requirements Kindergarten applicants must be five years of age by September 1 of the year they plan to enroll.
- Application The first step in the process is to submit an application along with the $75 fee.
- Student Visit Student visits occur after an application has been submitted. Kindergarten and Grade 1 prospective students will visit for a half-day. Grade 2-8 prospective students will visit for a full-day. Additionally, if at all possible we will visit a Kindergarten applicant`s current school to observe the child in a familiar environment.
- Parent Interview The parent interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about ACDS, to further inform us about your child, and for us to get to know you. The interview will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- Teacher Recommendations Kindergarten and Grade 1 One current teacher recommendation is required. Grades 2-8 Two current teacher recommendations are required.
- Testing Kindergarten applicants are required to take the WPPSI-IV (Wechsler Preschool Primary Scale of Intelligence Test, Fourth Edition). First grade applicants, depending on their age, are required to take either the WPPSI-IV or the WISC-V (Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Fifth Edition). Applicants for grades 2-5 are required to take the WISC-V. Applicants for grades 6-8 are required to take the ISEE or SSAT. The school code is 472603 for ISEE and 1190 for SSAT. Please register at www.erbtest.org (ISEE) or www.ssat.org (SSAT).
- School Records Kindergarten and 1st grade: please submit any records and testing information that is available. Grades 1-8: please include a transcript of all courses and grades for past years and the current year and all testing information available.
- Student Writing Sample Grades 6-8 applicants only: Questions for writing sample are included in the application.
- A completed file includes: Application Application Fee WPPSI-IV, WISC-V, ISEE or SSAT Test Results School Transcript (current year and past two years) if applicable Teacher Recommendation, one for K-1 and two for grades 2-8 Writing Sample (Grades 6-8 only) Student Visit Parent Interview
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- AlexandriaGrades: NS-8 | 198 students
5917 Telegraph Rd
Alexandria, VA 22310
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 275 students
3700 Burgundy Road
Alexandria, VA 22303
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-12 | 1120 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-6 | 128 students
8334 Mount Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
- AnnandaleGrades: PK-3 | 141 students
6820 Pacific Lane
Annandale, VA 22003
My son attends this school and we have been extremely pleased with our experience. The teachers are caring and provide a top-notch education. The environment integrates play into learning. My son is excited to attend school and is doing great in this type of school culture.
- Posted by Parent - Amanda Schneider
February 21, 2018
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
February 19, 2018
Think of the school search process as a series of checkpoints, each of which has a due date. We show you when to do the various items in the search process.
February 07, 2018
After conducting a survey of the educational backgrounds of current U.S. senators we were able to draw some interesting conclusions. Keep reading to learn more.