Alexandria Country Day School
5.00 (1 review)
- It All Starts Here Your child`s kindergarten through eighth grade years are a crucial time for developing all dimensions of his or her intellect and character. At ACDS, we provide a more personalized experience for your child, which leads to superior preparation for continuing academic and personal success.Our curriculum and instruction challenges top students while meeting the needs of all students by offering flexibility, effective assessment, an array of methodologies, thoughtfully integrated use of technology, and a student-centered approach.
- Our unique emphasis on speaking, writing, and multimedia communication skills across all curricular areas better prepares students for school, work, and life.
- Our approach to assessment encourages reflection, self-awareness, and critical thinking, skills that are essential to future academic success. Our students are better able to work with others, ask questions, organize workload, and seek both challenge and support.
- Our attention to balance and social-emotional learning help our students become kind, empathetic, and community-minded citizens who are able to work effectively with others and know how to engage in respectful discourse.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||200 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, skirt or dress and a green or white shirt or blouse)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Grades K-3 tuition: $28,500 Grades 4-8 tuition: $30,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Liz Hendrickson|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
We have a robust after school program with a wide range of activities offered
Application Process Age Requirements Kindergarten applicants must be five years of age by September 1 of the year they plan to enroll.
- Application The first step in the process is to submit an application along with the $75 fee.
- Student Visit Student visits occur after an application has been submitted. Kindergarten and Grade 1 prospective students will visit for a half-day. Grade 2-8 prospective students will visit for a full-day. Additionally, if at all possible we will visit a Kindergarten applicant`s current school to observe the child in a familiar environment.
- Parent Interview The parent interview is an opportunity for you to ask questions about ACDS, to further inform us about your child, and for us to get to know you. The interview will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- Teacher Recommendations Kindergarten and Grade 1 One current teacher recommendation is required. Grades 2-8 Two current teacher recommendations are required.
- Testing Kindergarten applicants are required to take the WPPSI-IV (Wechsler Preschool Primary Scale of Intelligence Test, Fourth Edition). First grade applicants, depending on their age, are required to take either the WPPSI-IV or the WISC-V (Wechsler Intelligence for Children, Fifth Edition). Applicants for grades 2-5 are required to take the WISC-V. Applicants for grades 6-8 are required to take the ISEE or SSAT. The school code is 472603 for ISEE and 1190 for SSAT. Please register at www.erbtest.org (ISEE) or www.ssat.org (SSAT).
- School Records Kindergarten and 1st grade: please submit any records and testing information that is available. Grades 1-8: please include a transcript of all courses and grades for past years and the current year and all testing information available.
- Student Writing Sample Grades 6-8 applicants only: Questions for writing sample are included in the application.
- A completed file includes: Application Application Fee WPPSI-IV, WISC-V, ISEE or SSAT Test Results School Transcript (current year and past two years) if applicable Teacher Recommendation, one for K-1 and two for grades 2-8 Writing Sample (Grades 6-8 only) Student Visit Parent Interview
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: PK-8 | 265 students
3700 Burgundy Road
Alexandria, VA 22303
(703)329-6968 2.6 PK-8
- Alexandria Grades: PK-12 | 1120 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703)212-2706 1.9 PK-12
My son attends this school and we have been extremely pleased with our experience. The teachers are caring and provide a top-notch education. The environment integrates play into learning. My son is excited to attend school and is doing great in this type of school culture.
- Posted by Parent - Amanda Schneider
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
Your school's website and your social media sites are essential tools in your marketing program.
Choosing the right private school for your child is a lengthy process. I want you to achieve the success which you deserve without making these common mistakes other parents have made.