Burgundy Farm Country Day School
The barn and garden are unique to Burgundy's campus, and we use them to bring learning to life by integrating barn and garden activities with classroom curriculum. We do the same with our 500-acre Burgundy Center for Wildlife Studies.
- You've discovered a one-of-a-kind independent school for students age 4 through grade 8.
- We believe children learn best in an inclusive, creative, and nurturing environment that engages the whole child.
- Students here are active partners in their education, and learning is joyful. The magic of Burgundy comes from 4 parts: campus, curriculum, culture, and community.Burgundy students enjoy two amazing campuses.
- Our main campus is a former dairy farm, 26 partially wooded acres, just off the busy Beltway of metropolitan Washington, DC. Our West Virginia campus, the Burgundy Center for Wildlife Studies is nestled in 506 acres of a secluded valley in West Virginia and provides our students with exposure to nature and the natural world.Our curriculum grows out of and often takes inspiration from these incredible natural resources.
- The curriculum is also hands-on and integrated for all our students.
- We are a progressive and rigorous school that empowers children to explore, discover, and grow - in many ways, not just academically.
- There is a strong social-emotional component to our curriculum in all grades.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||275 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||44 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition: $27,944-Junior Kindergarten; $29,052-Kindergarten; $30,387-Grades 1-5; $31,970-Grades 6-8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$14,387|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lori Adams|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After School Enrichments: Chess Club, Barn Club, Cooking, Drumming, etc., Model U.N., Music, Sustainability Club
Arts and Music Programs:
ceramics, Instrumental music (piano, guitar, violin, saxophone, flute, clarinet, oboe), painting, Performing Arts-drama, sculpture, Shakespeare, Visual Arts-drawing, Vocal music
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- AlexandriaGrades: NS-8 | 198 students
5917 Telegraph Rd
Alexandria, VA 22310
- AlexandriaGrades: K-8 | 200 students
2400 Russell Rd
Alexandria, VA 22301
- AnnandaleGrades: NS-8 | 271 students
3819 Gallows Road
Annandale, VA 22003
- Falls ChurchGrades: NS-8 | 341 students
3229 Sleepy Hollow Rd
Falls Church, VA 22042
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-6 | 128 students
8334 Mount Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.