5.00 (4 reviews)
- Westminster School is dedicated to providing a superior elementary and middle-school education whose fundamental goals for each child are a disciplined and well-informed mind, strength of character, dedication to learning, generosity of spirit, and joy in the possibilities of life.
- The Westminster program is founded on a traditional curriculum, rigorous academic standards, and an atmosphere that promotes respect, integrity, kindness, and a sense of excellence.
- Westminster's academic program provides thorough training in basic subjects within a broad humanities curriculum. The Classical tradition, great books, and exposure to the arts are emphasized and integrated throughout an accelerated, thoroughly rounded program.
- Especially unique is Westminster School's dedication to building poise, self-confidence and positive personal presentation. This is achieved in many ways, but most exceptionally in the strong drama program at the school. Each student participates in a play every year, culminating with a Shakespeare production in the 7th grade and a musical in the 8th grade. Every student has a speaking role.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||271 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,139|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid is available.|
|Admissions Director||Nancy Schuler|
|Admissions Associate||Bodil Lund|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Basketball Team, Builders Club (Community Service), Chess Club, Chorus, French Club, Karate Class, MathCounts, Odyssey of the Mind, Orchestra, Piano Lessons, Science Olympiad, Soccer, Soccer Team Chess Club, Chorus, French Club, Karate Class, MathCounts, Orchestra, Piano Lessons, Soccer, Soccer Team, Basketball Team,|
Builders Club (Community Service),
Odyssey of the Mind,
- Accelerated Academic Program (Math, Science, English, Reading)Classical Studies/HistoryJunior Great BooksFrenchLatinMusicArtDramaDaily PEMultiple Field TripsEmphasis on Character, Kindness, and Courtesy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- AlexandriaGrades: NS-8 | 198 students
5917 Telegraph Rd
Alexandria, VA 22310
- AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 275 students
3700 Burgundy Road
Alexandria, VA 22303
- Falls ChurchGrades: NS-8 | 341 students
3229 Sleepy Hollow Rd
Falls Church, VA 22042
- Mc LeanGrades: NS-8
1411 Balls Hill Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
- Mc LeanGrades: K-12 | 1054 students
1301 Potomac School Rd
Mc Lean, VA 22101
To offer a contrast to the negative review of May 12, 2014, I would suggest that any stress on the children comes not from Westminster's programs, policies, or faculty, but rather from parents who cannot allow their children to be anything less than perfect. What I have found at Westminster is that the faculty and staff encourage each child to put forth his/her very best efforts which may, or may not, result in perfect, or near perfect, scores. What I have witnessed is that this is a school which places a high value on the process of learning, not necessariliy the result. If you are the type of parent who allows your child/ren to fall and to then learn from the experience, who can accept that perfection is a goal, not a reality, and who can self reflect to ascertain who is really bearing and/or breeding the stress, this is the perfect school for you and your child. My family and I have never been so impressed by a school or its faculty and staff before; Westminster is a very hard act to follow.
- Posted by Parent - cheri
After a traumatic introduction to Kindergarten in another private school we began a frantic search for another school for our son. After visiting Westminster, my first reaction was, "Wow!" We moved in mid-year K and our son just started 3rd grade, and my "Wow" has never diminished. The best decision we could have ever made. He is thriving in a caring, professional, progressive educational experience. Small classes, specialized teachers, and a culture that fosters excellence and respect.
- Posted by Parent - bfede
This school upholds high standards of conduct and academic excellence. It was never my intention to look for an easy school. I admire that it encourages the students to expect much more of themselves. Some times are challenging, however I know my son will graduate an assertive and well rounded student ready for his high school years. I personally think this is a testament to the school and its commitment to a better education for our children.
- Posted by Parent - merce
As a current mother and parent of a Westminster School student, I would like to firmly say to all parents thinking about sending their daughter to this school to PLEASE RECONSIDER! Westminster severely lacks a proper educational environment. The extreme stress placed on students by the faculty is vastly detrimental to the mental well being of adolescents. There is no school counselor, the headmaster also fills this position and his focus is on discipline while completely neglecting the mental and emotional health of the student body. Many current students parents have confided in me, as their 3rd/4th graders, about the horrifying lack of sleep they suffer, the emotional anguish they experience trying to achieve perfect grades, and the physical illnesses they suffer from overworking themselves due to the high expectations of their teachers. (A book to board to notebook process) Surely, while no school is perfect, there must be a better way to give a young woman an education without leaving her mentally scarred throughout her early years.
- Posted by Parent - lonac
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.