The Potomac School
- At The Potomac School, we believe that intellectual development, love of learning, and strength of character are complementary, and equally essential, educational goals.
- With a firm commitment to our core values and a rigorous academic program, we prepare students to lead lives of purpose, achievement, and generosity of spirit.
- PHILOSOPHY & PRACTICE We achieve The Potomac School`s mission through our educational philosophy and practice.
- At Potomac we foster a diverse, inclusive learning community where all voices and viewpoints are valued, provide a balanced educational experience that integrates academics, athletics, and the arts, empower our students to become independent thinkers and learners by emphasizing the rewards of inquiry, initiative, and reflection, emphasize appreciation for the natural world and each person`s responsibility for environmental stewardship, call upon all members of our community to act with compassion, civic conscience, and a commitment to serving others.
- CORE VALUES Since its founding, The Potomac School has steadfastly believed that developing a student`s character is as important as educating for intellectual growth.
- Informed by values, students learn to use their intellect and skills productively and in service to others.
- The school has identified the following five core values as the ethical and moral guideposts that enable all of us in the Potomac community to develop good judgment and live principled lives: COURAGE ~ INTEGRITY ~ HUMILITY ~ PERSEVERANCE ~ RESPECT.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1054 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||160 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 5|
|Tuition Notes||Our tuition ranges from $34,440 - $39,770|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Carson Roy|
|Admissions Associate||Lauren Bramlette|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
- The Potomac School mission is to foster each student's intellectual development, love of learning, and strength of character within an inclusive community distinguished by a spirit of support and challenge. We encourage students to become independent thinkers and learners. The School's richly varied curriculum draws students beyond a mastery of fundamental skills toward the rewards in inquiry, initiative and reflection. Believing that aesthetic and physical development are essential to an education, we offer students opportunities to excel in art and music classes, on stage, and on the athletic fields. We strive for diversity in the conviction that a learning community is intellectually and morally strengthened when many different voices, viewpoints and backgrounds are present. We expect students to act with kindness, civility, and generosity of spirit, and, in our daily activities, we find opportunities to foster their integrity of character and civic conscience. More than mere tolerance, this standard calls students to act with compassion for others and to reach beyond the school in service to the community. As we prepare students for a rapidly changing and demanding society, we encourage them to reflect on the beauty that surrounds them and to enjoy the company of their friends and the many traditions celebrated at school.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- OaktonGrades: PK-12 | 998 students
3320 Jermantown Road
Oakton, VA 22124
- WashingtonGrades: K-12 | 650 students
3000 Cathedral Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008
- FairfaxGrades: 4-12 | 137 students
9431 Silver King Court
Fairfax, VA 22031
- WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 1075 students
4530 Macarthur Blvd NW
Washington, DC 20007
- Falls ChurchGrades: NS-8 | 341 students
3229 Sleepy Hollow Rd
Falls Church, VA 22042
I have two children at Potomac, and I literally do not have any complaints. This is the school I wish I'd gone to when I was a kid! My kids look forward to going to school every day and are thriving! There is a wonderful balance of academic, social, athletic and performing arts at this school. We also enjoy the active parent community who support a variety of ventures, including service learning and community engagement. The whole child is important at Potomac and every child is nurtured and respected.
- Posted by Parent - Potomac Parent