The Madeira School
- Top Ranked VA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 325 students
- Acceptance rate: 48%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
The Madeira School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
60+ Clubs, Black Student Union, Chinese Culture Club, CLIPUS Foundation, Debate Club, FOCUS, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Generation Progress, Girl Up, Green Team, Hands on Housing, Japanese Club, Judaism at Madeira, Korean Students Association, Math and Computer Science Club, Mental Health Awareness Club, Muslim Student Association, Science and Engineering Club, South Asian Student Association, Spanish Club, Stress Relief Club, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella and Glee Groups, Chamber Orchestra, Dance, GATE: Literary Magazine, Madeira Arts Council, Slam Poetry Club, Technical Theater, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Karate
- Madeira`s curriculum is grounded in expert teaching and active involvement of the students when planning their academic paths. Personal academic advising enables girls to customize a schedule beyond graduation requirements, offering them the highest degree of challenge that best suits their interests. From AP Art History to iPad App Development, students may take advantage of the many upper-level courses offered.
- The innovative Co-Curriculum program at Madeira integrates
experiential learning with the cultural, political, and business
life of the nation`s capital. Every Wednesday, girls learn from
real-world experience, graduating with a solid resume that rivals
that of college students. The unique grade-level objectives of the
Co-Curriculum program progress from learning about identity and
community during freshman and sophomore years to experiencing
"real-life work" and leadership training during junior-year
internships in Capitol Hill offices and student-selected
internships during the girls` senior year.
Madeira has 13 inter-scholastic sports, including an equestrian team, as well as instruction in music, dance, film, visual and performing arts, which give students competitive and creative outlets.
- The campus, which overlooks the Potomac River from 376 scenic acres, is a place for study, play, and competition, home to superior academic, athletic, riding, and arts facilities. Sports facilities include a 32,000 square foot sports center with basketball and volleyball courts, indoor competition size pool, dance/aerobic studio, and strength and conditioning room. There are also eight hard-surface tennis courts, three playing fields, 49 stall barn, indoor riding arena, and extensive riding and hiking trails. The arts facilities includes a 500 seat proscenium theater, drama rehearsal space, scene shop, dance studios, private vocal and instrumental studios, and an art gallery.
- With Washington, D.C. is 15 minutes away, students take advantage of shopping in Georgetown, movies at Tysons Corner, and dim sum in Chinatown. The 20 other independent boarding and day schools (including all-boys and co-ed schools) nearby provide plenty of social opportunities on the weekends.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Katherine Graham - Publisher, Washington Post
- Mika Brzezinski - New Anchor
- Alice Rivlin - Former director, Office of Management and Budget
- Stockard Channing - Actress
- Brooke Astor - Philanthropist
- Francis Sternhagen - Actress
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the acceptance rate of The Madeira School?
The acceptance rate of The Madeira School is 48%, which is lower than the national average of 83%. The Madeira School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Virginia with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from The Madeira School?
The Madeira School famous alumni include: Katherine Graham, Mika Brzezinski, Alice Rivlin, Stockard Channing, Brooke Astor and Francis Sternhagen.
Does The Madeira School offer a summer program?
Yes, The Madeira School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What sports does The Madeira School offer?
The Madeira School offers 17 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Winter Track. The Madeira School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for most sports offered.
What is The Madeira School's ranking?
The Madeira School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for: Highest average SAT score, Lowest average acceptance rates, Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Largest student body, Most AP courses offered, Most sports offered, Most extracurriculars offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for The Madeira School?
The application deadline for The Madeira School is Jan. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse The Madeira School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards