The Madeira School
- Top Ranked VA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 325 students
- Acceptance rate: 48%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
The Madeira School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
60+ Clubs, Black Student Union, Chinese Culture Club, CLIPUS Foundation, Debate Club, FOCUS, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Generation Progress, Girl Up, Green Team, Hands on Housing, Japanese Club, Judaism at Madeira, Korean Students Association, Math and Computer Science Club, Mental Health Awareness Club, Muslim Student Association, Science and Engineering Club, South Asian Student Association, Spanish Club, Stress Relief Club, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella and Glee Groups, Chamber Orchestra, Dance, GATE: Literary Magazine, Madeira Arts Council, Slam Poetry Club, Technical Theater, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Karate
- Madeira`s curriculum is grounded in expert teaching and active involvement of the students when planning their academic paths. Personal academic advising enables girls to customize a schedule beyond graduation requirements, offering them the highest degree of challenge that best suits their interests. From AP Art History to iPad App Development, students may take advantage of the many upper-level courses offered.
- The innovative Co-Curriculum program at Madeira integrates
experiential learning with the cultural, political, and business
life of the nation`s capital. Every Wednesday, girls learn from
real-world experience, graduating with a solid resume that rivals
that of college students. The unique grade-level objectives of the
Co-Curriculum program progress from learning about identity and
community during freshman and sophomore years to experiencing
"real-life work" and leadership training during junior-year
internships in Capitol Hill offices and student-selected
internships during the girls` senior year.
Madeira has 13 inter-scholastic sports, including an equestrian team, as well as instruction in music, dance, film, visual and performing arts, which give students competitive and creative outlets.
- The campus, which overlooks the Potomac River from 376 scenic acres, is a place for study, play, and competition, home to superior academic, athletic, riding, and arts facilities. Sports facilities include a 32,000 square foot sports center with basketball and volleyball courts, indoor competition size pool, dance/aerobic studio, and strength and conditioning room. There are also eight hard-surface tennis courts, three playing fields, 49 stall barn, indoor riding arena, and extensive riding and hiking trails. The arts facilities includes a 500 seat proscenium theater, drama rehearsal space, scene shop, dance studios, private vocal and instrumental studios, and an art gallery.
- With Washington, D.C. is 15 minutes away, students take advantage of shopping in Georgetown, movies at Tysons Corner, and dim sum in Chinatown. The 20 other independent boarding and day schools (including all-boys and co-ed schools) nearby provide plenty of social opportunities on the weekends.
Endorse The Madeira School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards