BASIS Independent McLean
5.00 (6 reviews)
- BASIS Independent McLean is a PreK-Grade 12 private school located in Northern Virginia.
- We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis for PreK through grade 10.
- Our acclaimed liberal arts and sciences curriculum sets the pace for global education.
- Our teachers are Subject Expert Teachers who are knowledgeable and passionate, and believe that with the right support and encouragement, any motivated child can achieve academic excellence.
- We create a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes!
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,900|
|Tuition Notes||Fall 2017 Tuition: Preschool: $22,500 Grades K-4: $25,900 Grades 5-12: $26,900|
|Admissions Director||Stephanie Hedge|
|Admissions Associate||Lauren Knapp|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Fencing, Flag Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, TennisBallet, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||42 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
App Design Club, Art of Anime, Budding Entrepreneurs, Chess Club, Classics Club, Coding Club, Cryptocurrency Club, Cyber Patriots, Dance Club, Diplomacy Club, Drone Flight, Engineering Club, Harry Potter Club, Indian Classical Dance, Intro to Python Programming, Junior CEOs, Lego Club, Lego Mechanics and Engineering, Math Club, Minecraft Game Design, Mini Mighty Maestros, Model UN, Music Technology, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Peer Tutoring, Poetry Out Loud, Pre-Ballet, Preschool Pilots, Programming with Minecraft, Quiz Bowl, Rock Pro, Speech and Debate, Student Ambassador Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Band, Beginning Strings, Clarinet, Flute, Intermediate Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball Club, Fencing, Yoga
- BASIS Independent McLean is a PreK-12 private school in Tysons Corner, VA. Our nationally acclaimed curriculum inspires students to discover their passions and learn at the highest international levels in an academic program consistently ranked as one of the top in the country.
- Our teachers are Subject Expert Teachers who are knowledgeable, passionate, and invested in their students' success. We offer a diverse range of foundational courses from Mandarin to engineering to logic to the performing arts, as well as an exciting array of extracurricular options to encourage students to explore their interests. We believe that with the right support and encouragement, any motivated child can achieve academic excellence.
- Our school works to create a warm, joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: PK-6 | 97 students
6300 Florence Ln
Alexandria, VA 22310
(703)960-3498 12.7 PK-6
- Mc Lean Grades: PK-K | 236 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)790-1049 3.7 PK-K
- Alexandria Grades: PK-6 | 128 students
8334 Mount Vernon Hwy
Alexandria, VA 22309
(703)780-8484 15.5 PK-6
- Mc Lean Grades: K-12 | 1054 students
1301 Potomac School Rd
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)749-6313 3.5 K-12
- Alexandria Grades: NS-8 | 200 students
5917 Telegraph Rd
Alexandria, VA 22310
(571)451-1006 12.3 NS-8
Basis Independent McLean provides my 5th-grade son with an outstanding, truly world-class education. In his second year at Basis, he continues to meet challenges that push him to work harder, study smarter and identify opportunities which require him to find individual support from his teachers. Basis Independent McLean is not an "old school" school. There are no great lawns to maintain. The tuition fees are far more affordable than the "old school" private schools. Our money is funneled into my son's education, not great lawns and first class tennis facilities that require large maintenance crews. Basis Independent McLean, as with all Basis schools, demands diligent and enduring academic effort, along with artistic expression in the music and visual arts programs. Basis Independent McLean recognizes and rewards academic achievement. Every student is not a "winner." We are a community that values and recognizes hard work that results in academic excellence. While Basis does not identify its program as STEM, my son finds challenges in mathematics, science, and technology every week. And yes, there are soccer teams and math clubs, along with fencing and computer programming clubs, among many other opportunities offered to enrich and challenge students after classes end every day.
- Posted by Parent - JDK
Last year, my child started as a 5th grader at Basis Independent McLean and so for this year, she still loves the school. The academic program is rigorous, wide and deep, but the school also makes an effort for students to understand why all the subjects are relevant and important to them. All the teachers and staff are highly motivated to make this a great school, and they are very responsive to ideas and requests of students and parents. The two key skills she learned from BIM are; effective and productive way to study, and time management. Both are important in rigorous learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Daisuke Utagawa
We are in the second year with this school and we could not be happier. The school is a vibrant and exciting place for my students to attend each day. The teachers are passionate about what they teach and their infectious attitude spreads to the students. Things my kids were never interested in before now have new life. To me this is the definition of a "whole child," one who knows about a lot of different fields, and has life skills to go out into the world.
- Posted by Parent - BASIS Parent
This school is amazing! We took a leap of faith to sign on with a school that wasn't even open yet and we are so glad we did! My child is in the Lower School and is thriving and loving going to school and learning. The standards are high and the expectation is that kids will put forth full effort and it shows. When you visit the school, you will see kids eager to learn and engaged in their lessons, then playing hard at the many recesses. There is an emphasis not only on math and science, but also drama, art, engineering, foreign language and music, creating a whole child environment. In an area where so many schools are cutting out the arts, this school delivers.
- Posted by Parent - BASIS McLean parent
My child is a 5th grader at Basis Independent McLean and loves the school. The academic program is rigorous, wide and deep, but the school also makes an effort for students to understand why all the subjects are relevant and important to them. All the teachers and staff are highly motivated to make this a great school, and they are very responsive to ideas and requests of students and parents.
- Posted by Parent - Daisuke Utagawa
We have had a fabulous experience with BASIS Independent McLean. Our son couldn't be happier socially and is blossoming in an accelerated and supportive learning environment. The teachers are highly motivated, care deeply about his success and share an enthusiasm for learning that is infectious. The administration is the most professional team I've ever seen within an academic institution and has been extraordinarily responsive to our requests. We couldn't be more satisfied with our choice and look forward to watching our son develop in this unique program.
- Posted by Parent - Amy Sue
August 16, 2018
If you have been teaching for a few years, chances are that you will need to consider rebranding yourself.
August 14, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
July 24, 2018
We identify changes in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 which impact not-for-profit private schools.