BASIS Independent McLean
5.00 (7 reviews)
BASIS Independent McLean Photo #5 - Middle School players perform the commedia dell'arte play "A Servant of Two Masters".
BASIS Independent McLean Photo #6 - Primary students rehearse a traditional Chinese dance in the gymnasium.
BASIS Independent McLean Photo #7 - PreK students parade in vehicles they built from boxes as part of a transportation themed project.
- BASIS Independent McLean is an age 2-grade 12 private school that offers a liberal arts curriculum with a STEM focus. Since being founded in 1998, BASIS Curriculum Schools' mission has remained the same: to educate students to the highest international levels. The BASIS Curriculum combines best educational practices from high-achieving school systems worldwide with the creativity and innovation of top U.S. schools. BASIS Curriculum Schools rank in the top 5 high schools according to U.S. News and World Report. Our Subject Expert Teachers, who have professional expertise or advanced degrees in the discpilines they teach, are knowledgeable, passionate, and bring material to life.We offer a Twos Program, which lays the building blocks for physical, social, emotional, and language development in a supportive classroom setting and nurtures an early love of learning. Students take a robust schedule of courses and electives, including Mandarin, engineering, logic, economics, humanities, Latin, advanced mathematics and other STEM courses, and high school capstone courses such as Inorganic Chemistry and Civil Rights in the Vietnam War Era. Students in grades 8 through 12 are also eligible for The Academy, a seminar-style, writing-intensive humanities program built around history, literature, and philosophy, and which deeply prepares students for college-level reading, writing, and discussion. We facilitate a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in n/a|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,000|
|Tuition Notes||Fall 2019 Tuition: Twos Program: $22,000 Preschool: $24,700 Grades K-4: $27,900 Grades 5-12: $29,000|
|Admissions Director||Stephanie Hedge|
|Admissions Associate||Lauren Knapp|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Fencing, Flag Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, TennisBallet, Basketball,|
Flag Football, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||42 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
App Design Club, Art of Anime, Budding Entrepreneurs, Chess Club, Classics Club, Coding Club, Cryptocurrency Club, Cyber Patriots, Dance Club, Diplomacy Club, Drone Flight, Engineering Club, Harry Potter Club, Indian Classical Dance, Intro to Python Programming, Junior CEOs, Lego Club, Lego Mechanics and Engineering, Math Club, Minecraft Game Design, Mini Mighty Maestros, Model UN, Music Technology, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Peer Tutoring, Poetry Out Loud, Pre-Ballet, Preschool Pilots, Programming with Minecraft, Quiz Bowl, Rock Pro, Speech and Debate, Student Ambassador Program
Arts and Music Programs:
Beginning Band, Beginning Strings, Clarinet, Flute, Intermediate Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball Club, Fencing, Yoga
- BASIS Independent McLean is redefining education in Northern Virginia. Students thrive in a well-rounded curriculum rooted in the liberal arts and sciences. Our program challenges students to master content across disciplines, centered on the belief that with the right support and encouragement, any motivated child can excel. Our students learn to stretch themselves intellectually and to use knowledge as a tool in order to become critical thinkers and problem solvers. They develop organizational, time management, and study skills as they grow comfortable with challenge, discover new passions, and pursue their ambitions. At BASIS Independent McLean, students become active participants, not spectators, in their education, school, and larger communitiy.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mc Lean Grades: PK-K | 236 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)790-1049 3.7 PK-K
We have three children (primary, middle, and high school) at Basis Independent McLean and have been very pleased with the curriculum and teachers so far. Our kids are all engaged in and challenged by their classes, despite having different academic styles. (This is a huge difference from the last school they attended.) They really like their fellow classmates as well. The school emphasizes student responsibility (kids are responsible for their homework, not the parents); and our kids have bought into this.
- Posted by Parent - Basis McLean Parent
Basis Independent McLean provides my 5th-grade son with an outstanding, truly world-class education. In his second year at Basis, he continues to meet challenges that push him to work harder, study smarter and identify opportunities which require him to find individual support from his teachers. Basis Independent McLean is not an "old school" school. There are no great lawns to maintain. The tuition fees are far more affordable than the "old school" private schools. Our money is funneled into my son's education, not great lawns and first class tennis facilities that require large maintenance crews. Basis Independent McLean, as with all Basis schools, demands diligent and enduring academic effort, along with artistic expression in the music and visual arts programs. Basis Independent McLean recognizes and rewards academic achievement. Every student is not a "winner." We are a community that values and recognizes hard work that results in academic excellence. While Basis does not identify its program as STEM, my son finds challenges in mathematics, science, and technology every week. And yes, there are soccer teams and math clubs, along with fencing and computer programming clubs, among many other opportunities offered to enrich and challenge students after classes end every day.
- Posted by Parent - JDK
Last year, my child started as a 5th grader at Basis Independent McLean and so for this year, she still loves the school. The academic program is rigorous, wide and deep, but the school also makes an effort for students to understand why all the subjects are relevant and important to them. All the teachers and staff are highly motivated to make this a great school, and they are very responsive to ideas and requests of students and parents. The two key skills she learned from BIM are; effective and productive way to study, and time management. Both are important in rigorous learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Daisuke Utagawa
We are in the second year with this school and we could not be happier. The school is a vibrant and exciting place for my students to attend each day. The teachers are passionate about what they teach and their infectious attitude spreads to the students. Things my kids were never interested in before now have new life. To me this is the definition of a "whole child," one who knows about a lot of different fields, and has life skills to go out into the world.
- Posted by Parent - BASIS Parent
This school is amazing! We took a leap of faith to sign on with a school that wasn't even open yet and we are so glad we did! My child is in the Lower School and is thriving and loving going to school and learning. The standards are high and the expectation is that kids will put forth full effort and it shows. When you visit the school, you will see kids eager to learn and engaged in their lessons, then playing hard at the many recesses. There is an emphasis not only on math and science, but also drama, art, engineering, foreign language and music, creating a whole child environment. In an area where so many schools are cutting out the arts, this school delivers.
- Posted by Parent - BASIS McLean parent
My child is a 5th grader at Basis Independent McLean and loves the school. The academic program is rigorous, wide and deep, but the school also makes an effort for students to understand why all the subjects are relevant and important to them. All the teachers and staff are highly motivated to make this a great school, and they are very responsive to ideas and requests of students and parents.
- Posted by Parent - Daisuke Utagawa
We have had a fabulous experience with BASIS Independent McLean. Our son couldn't be happier socially and is blossoming in an accelerated and supportive learning environment. The teachers are highly motivated, care deeply about his success and share an enthusiasm for learning that is infectious. The administration is the most professional team I've ever seen within an academic institution and has been extraordinarily responsive to our requests. We couldn't be more satisfied with our choice and look forward to watching our son develop in this unique program.
- Posted by Parent - Amy Sue
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.