- ENGAGING THE MIND | FORMING THE HEART | INSTRUCTING THE WILL. Ambleside is a Christ-centered K-8 school located in McLean, Virginia, that applies the philosophy of British educator Charlotte Mason.
- In partnership with the family, we encourage children to discover and embrace God`s truth, to link knowing with doing and to love learning.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)|
National Council for Private School Accreditation
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||119 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||~ Tuition is $7,750 for Kindergarten. ~ Tuition is $10,050 for Grades 1-5. ~ Tuition is $10,300 for Grades 6-8.|
- At Ambleside School, we believe that God creates each child with a natural hunger for knowledge and that the mind is fed by ideas more than by facts and information. These ideas, which inform our conscience and the choices that we make, find their source in God Himself, and are communicated to us through His Word, through people of the past and present, and through His creation.
- Education properly understood is not merely the assimilation of data and technique; it is the mind feeding on ideas given expression in God`s creation, great art, beautiful music, and "living books." Real learning occurs when students engage with novelists, poets, philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, artists, musicians, historians, and explorers; they wonder, asking why and how.
- Our aim is to train students in the habits of learning so they can acquire knowledge for themselves and to fuel their God-given hunger for ideas.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: NS-12 | 1128 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703) 212-2704 12.1 NS-12
Our two daughters (2 years apart) were students at Ambleside through 8th grade, then went on to public HS and are now both at selective universities. The school delivered on its promises: they really are "lifetime learners", joyful, mature, engaged with many subjects, genuine in their faith, and committed to serving. Our youngest has had a more difficult journey, both emotionally and academically. We always felt like we had a real partner in the school though, and through the patient and loving attention of the teachers and staff our son has made great gains in maturity and learning. We came to Ambleside after reading its website, which in our experience accurately describes the school. It's a wonderful school where Christ is modeled and learning is encouraged every day.
- Posted by Parent - Parent of 3 Students
Amazing Charlotte Mason philosophy based education. Encouraging environment where a child can really learn and not just regurgitate information. Small class sizes enable teachers to know each student as an individual.
- Posted by Parent - Current Parent
We are so grateful for Ambleside school and the Ambleside community. We knew almost nothing about the Charlotte Mason philosophy when we joined the school but were drawn to the joyful attitude we found in the staff and the kids. We've since discovered how impactful the CM teaching style is and how much our kids have thrived in this environment. We've watched them learn to take control of their own behaviors as they feel supported and encouraged, as well as challenged, in their school relationships. It's a unique place and we're so grateful to have found it. We know it's going to shape our kids learning experiences for the rest of their lives.
- Posted by Parent - Victoria Ro
Excellent Charlotte Mason school, focusing on love of learning, character and spiritual development. Parent community has been a highlight. Highly recommend.
- Posted by Parent - Parent