5.00 (1 review)
Oakwood School Photo #2 - This playground built by parents and volunteers is a symbol of how working togther achieves great things!
- Oakwood School, founded in 1971 is a private, non-profit, co-educational day school for elementary and middle school students with mild to moderate learning differences.
- Our students are of average to above average potential and exhibit a discrepancy between their potential and their current level of achievement.
Oakwood School places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to Moderate Learning Differences including Dyslexia, ADHD, Dycalculia, Executive Functioning|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||99 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$36,320|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Muriel Jedlicka|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Technology Club *Fitness Club *High School Placement Test Prep *Science Clu
- Oakwood School promotes a multisensory educational program in which students with learning differences are guided to achieve their unique academic and social potential in a nurturing community environment.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fairfax Grades: 3-12 | 45 students
11230 Waples Mill Road, Ste. 100
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703)591-1146 9 3-12
- San Marcos Grades: 4-12 | 21 students
1145 Lin Da Vista Dr Ste 105
San Marcos, CA 92078
(760)744-4870 2252.9 4-12
- Annandale Grades: 1-12 | 200 students
7010 Braddock Rd
Annandale, VA 22003
(703)941-8810 1.6 1-12
After 8 years at Oakwood, my son recently started 9th grade at an area college prep school. Although I already thought the world of Oakwood, I was thrilled and amazed to see how well prepared he was for high school. I am now able to "norm" his skill level against "typically developing" students, and am so grateful to realize his abilities are certainly on par with, and in many areas beyond, those of his peers. Oakwood is an excellent educational experience for any student. We initially went to Oakwood to protect my son's self-image and grow his confidence as he learned to cope with his learning differences, and we ended up with a strong learner well-equipped to handle the demands of a college prep curriculum.
- Posted by Parent - Mother of 9th grader alumnus
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
Seemingly never-ending school shootings prompted me to find out whether private schools were safer than public schools. Some answers and opinions on the matter here.
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.