5.00 (1 review)
- Commonwealth Academy is a coeducational, college preparatory day school for bright students who benefit from small classes and instruction designed to address various learning styles, including those students who have organizational, attention, or learning differences.
- We empower students in Grades 3-12 to reach their highest achievement levels, reflective of their true potential, by teaching personal responsibility for learning and behavior in a comfortable community, conducive to academic risk-taking and social success.
- We offer a broad-based curriculum, compensatory strategies, and a focus on technology to prepare our students for the challenges of college, career, and life pursuits.
Commonwealth Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, and mild to moderate learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||162 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Computer Programming, AP Physics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Regular jeans & Khaki pants, etc.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,500|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid available|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Josh Gwilliam|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
January Term, Model United Nations Club, Senior internships and trip, SGA, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Annual Theater Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Soccer and Basketball
- Accomodations: All accommodations are based on documention from a qualified professional. Mandatory implementation of individual student accommodations by every teacher, made possible by class sizes of 10 or less
- As students move through Lower, Middle, and Upper School, they become aware of their learning differences, learn to accept them, and are taught how to advocate for what they need.
- Executive Functioning/Social Support: Emphasis on school-wide organizational strategies and time management skills. Study skills are directly taught, and there are scheduled daily advisory period(s), Integrated team- building and character education. Every quarterly progress report includes an Executive Function component documenting executive function skills.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Springfield Grades: 2-12 | 93 students
8519 Tuttle Rd
Springfield, VA 22152
(703)451-8041 10.3 2-12
- Alexandria Grades: NS-12 | 1128 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703)212-2704 2.6 NS-12
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 803 students
201 Cambridge Road
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703)751-7606 1.7 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 442 students
1200 North Quaker Lane
Alexandria, VA 22302
(703)933-4062 2 9-12
Great school for preparing students to succeed in college. Worth every bit of the investment for the best trained and dedicated teachers, comprehensive instruction and careful attention and support for each and every student's success. Best kept secret among all the private school choices in the northern Virginia and DC metro area.
- Posted by Parent - Dmull
Sometimes a regular school is not the right fit for a child. Perhaps she needs an alternative school.
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.