The Howard Gardner School
Tel: (703) 822-9300
- The Howard Gardner School is a small independent school based in the tradition of progressive education, serving college-bound learners in grades 7-12 in Alexandria, Virginia.
- With a focus on environmental science and the arts, the school's mission is to help bright, creative non-traditional learners use their unique strengths to thrive academically, intellectually and emotionally.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||44 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$34,125|
|Tuition Notes||High school tuition for 2019-2020: $34,125Middle School tuition for 2019-2020: $29,610|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Erick Johnson|
|Admissions Associate||Kayla Brazee|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,|
- Learning at HGS is active and hands-on, based on Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, rooted in a tradition of progressive education, and clearly related to students own lives.
- Cooperative learning plays an important role in facilitating learning and group skills.
- Teaching of course content is fully integrated with weekly field studies trips throughout the area, and internships in the student's field of interest.
- The school environment and procedures are based on well-researched principles of adolescent development. The most fundamental tasks in adolescence are establishing identity and developing relationships. So, we make sure that our curriculum feels relevant to our students, that their internships help them explore different aspects of themselves, and we include a lot of group work so they can work on their relationship skills.
- We also believe in making learning fun.The Howard Gardner School features: enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff, very small classes, exciting, active hands-on learning, creative, college-prep curriculum, experienced college counseling, support for different learning styles, reduced homework load, 10:00 A.M. start time for high school, 9:30 A.M. start time for middle school, accelerated graduation for academically gifted students
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 793 students
201 Cambridge Road
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 212-5190 2.4 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 442 students
1200 North Quaker Lane
Alexandria, VA 22302
(703) 933-4062 2.8 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: NS-12 | 1128 students
1000 Saint Stephens Road
Alexandria, VA 22304
(703) 212-2704 2.2 NS-12
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.