The Sycamore School
- The Sycamore School is an independent non-profit secondary school in Arlington, Virginia serving middle and high school students.
- We provide personalized, engaging and experiential learning, helping students make connections across content areas and to the real world.
- We’re intentionally small, maintaining a 1:10 teacher to student ratio.
- Our goal is to provide high-quality self-paced, inquiry-based experiential learning to a cross-section of students.
|Grades Offered||Grades 5-12|
|Total Students||35 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Karyn Ewart|
- We offer middle and high school students a different type of learning community that actively engages students through providing:
- //Small classes in a safe, nurturing and inclusive community
- //Self-paced competency-based learning
- //Engaging “hands on” and cooperative learning opportunities
- //Curricula that incorporates student interests and connects to life outside school
- //Students choices of how they engage with the curriculum and display mastery
- //Tools to increase self-awareness, self-monitoring and mindfulness
- //Real world learning experiences
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 803 students
201 Cambridge Road
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703)751-7606 5.3 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: 9-12 | 441 students
1200 North Quaker Lane
Alexandria, VA 22302
(703)933-4062 4.3 9-12
- Alexandria Grades: 6-12 | 55 students
4913 Franconia Road
Alexandria, VA 22310
(703)822-9300 6.4 6-12
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.