5.00 (4 reviews)
Tel: (919)837-2336 Ext. 600
- Auldern Academy is a private therapeutic boarding school with an on-campus college preparatory high school program. We understand that students' needs are diverse, so we provide individualized support through small class sizes, through prosocial and community opportunities, and through therapy designed to empower young women in developing their personal identity, self-confidence, and self-efficacy. Our departments and the staff members within them integrate treatment and provide a trauma informed environment in which our students grow and learn.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Independent Private Schools Association|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, NLD, ASD, ADHD and other mild learning differences that have been remediated to some extent|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Because this is a year round school, all students attend summer classes and there are no additional costs.|
|Total Students||30 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki, slacks, knee length dresses)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$100,800|
|Tuition Notes||Our monthly tuition of $8400 covers school, therapeutic services, activities (including field trips and outings), and room & board. There is no enrollment fee.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Beth Ragland|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Home Ec, Student Government Association, Yoga Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Auldern Academy is a private therapeutic boarding high school offering 9th through 12th grade college prep education (we can accept a student completing middle school).
- We provide needed skills to enjoy long-term success.
- Our dedicated staff members understand that relationships are powerful.
- Our Academic team provides students with an education that prepares them for college and beyond.
- Proud and active member of the National Association of Therapeutic Schools and Programs (NATSAP).
- We offer small classes and a mix of traditional and progressive approaches to learning.
- Our teachers offer intensive support and coaching.
- Our Student Life counselors prepare students for relationships in the community and for independent living challenges.
- Our therapists offer specialized support for trauma, social skills building, relationship repair, and self-efficacy.
- Members of all departments communicate routinely to provide trauma informed care.
- Family matters! Therapy, Parent Education weekends, and social calls are some of the ways we integrate family into a girl's individual program.
- Average length of stay is 14 to 18 months.
- We are SEVIS approved.
- Girls can remain after age 18. We can offer educational and living options for those students who qualify.
- We offer sobriety education for those struggling with substance abuse as a secondary diagnosis.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Clayton Grades: 7-12 | 6 students
408 Covered Bridge Rd
Clayton, NC 27520
(919)550-8181 48.7 7-12
- Hookerton Grades: PK-12 | 118 students
532 E. Main St.
Hookerton, NC 28538
(252)747-8111 100.1 PK-12
- Kinston Grades: K-12 | 338 students
1936 Banks School Rd
Kinston, NC 28504
(252)522-4636 99 K-12
I went to Auldern for some time and have been gone for several months now. I have to say that I miss it everyday. The support I got there from staff and my peers was amazing. The SL staff were always there to talk to and get support from. The academics were the best I ever had and my therapist was everything to me, my family and my treatment. I made lifelong friends there and truly love the staff for their support and guidance. They became my second family. Trust me not everyone who went to Auldern loved being there but for those of us who did our work, it was life changing and made such a difference. I wouldn't be where I am at now, happy, sober and healthy had I not gone there.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - VA
My daughter attended Auldern. I would say we are 50/50 with the experience. The academics were outstanding. But I found the therapeutic side to be lacking. Some of the rules were ridiculous, like what shoes to wear in what season. If it's warm, they should be allowed to wear sandals, it's the south after all.We would hear that the girls were going on an outing, only to find out they never went. Seemed lazy on the part of the residence staff. it is in the middle of nowhere, so opportunities to get out into the world were very limited. So it seemed more like an RTC than a therapeutic school. There were girls there that should have been in an RTC! This place was not for them. They were disruptive. Their issues too deep to be tackled there. The parent weekends were ok, less of a workshop environment and more like lectures. All in all, my daughter did come home more prepared for her future, but I think if I had a choice, I would chose elsewhere.just 3 stars
- Posted by Parent - chs
I just came back from a parent education weekend at Auldern. I am so pleased with our decision to enroll our daughter at Auldern. She has been at the school now for roughly 4 months. I was so impressed with the progress I have seen in her in just this short of time. Academically she loves the school and is thriving. She is getting the best grades she has gotten in years. I did meet some of her friends on campus and they seem to have a good connection. I was really impressed with the work of the staff at Auldern and how they all seem to work together so well for the benefit of my daughter. I love their enthusiasm and commitment. You can feel their efforts in the way they interact with the students. I am more hopeful about her health and future than I have been in years!
- Posted by Parent - S. A
My daughter Auldern for a little less than 2 years. I have to say I was so impressed with the program. Academically she got a stellar education and I can't say enough about her therapy. She also made some great connections with the Student Life Staff. We both are certainly going to miss it when she leaves. I can't thank you enough Auldern!
- Posted by Parent - meaga
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.