Saint Mary's School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked NC School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 312 students
- Yearly Tuition: $31,600
- Acceptance rate: 85%
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 30 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Saint Mary's School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Admission Ambassadors, Animal Rights Club, Art Share Club, Babysitting Club, Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Black Student Union, Bookmark Club, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Development Ambassadors, Diversity-Equity-Inclusion Ambassadors, Equity Club, Fashion Club, Film Club, Fine Arts in Business, FOCUS, Folding For Fun, French Culture Club, Granddaughters Club, HOLA (Hispanic/LatinX) Affinity Group, Hopeful Thinking Club, Human Rights Alliance, International Thespian Society, K-Pop Club, Knitting Club, LGBTQ Alliance, Mathemagicians Club, Model United Nations Club, Mu Captains, Music Composition Club, Music Share, National Honor Society, One Love Club, Photography Club, Pickleball Club, Psychology Club, Quill and Scroll International Honor Society for High School Journalists, Robotics Club, Saints Who Code, Science Olympiad, Service League Club, Shop1842, Sigma Captains, Ski Club, Spanish Club, Student Government Association, The Belles (Student Newspaper), The Chords, The Outing Club, Trapshooting Club, Undivided Attention Club (tutoring), Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorale, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Ladies in Blue a capella group
- Saint Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school that challenges girls in grades 9-12 to BE BOLD, BE INSPIRED, BE PREPARED, and BE EXTRAORDINARY. Established in 1842, the school is celebrating 175 years of academic excellence and personal achievement for girls.
- Saint Mary`s was founded on the belief that an educated woman can make a difference. That`s why Saint Mary`s offers honors and AP courses, three languages, 11 sports, a renowned arts program, college counseling, leadership education, a unique four-year seminar program, service learning, travel opportunities, and more. Dedicated faculty know each girl well and help guide her as she finds her voice, expands her understanding, and achieves more than she ever imagined. As a boarding and day school, Saint Mary`s students live and learn beside girls from around the state, the country and the world.
- An integrated hands-on academic program, challenges girls to embrace the habits of a lifelong learner critical thinking, communication, character and guides them in building a foundation for college and life. Leadership curriculum and real-life experiences empower girls to serve and shape their world with courage and purpose. Dozens of sports, clubs, music and arts studies, volunteer and real-world experiences mean girls can explore and discover new talents and passions. Saint Mary`s rich Episcopal heritage informs values and inspires girls to act with honor and to respect the worth and dignity all.
- In addition, Saint Mary`s historic, 23-acre campus located in downtown Raleigh, and within close proximity to the Research Triangle, offers a uniquely vibrant 24/7 learning and living community that provides every girl with what she needs to learn, grow and thrive as she becomes a young woman of intelligence, integrity, and purpose.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bevin Prince '00 - Actress, known for "One Tree Hill"
- Alex Marshall-Brown '03 - Actress, stunt woman
- Sara Rose Nordgren '00 - Writer, Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize-winner
- Anne Russell '43 - Broadway star, "Hello, Dolly!"
- Betty Ray McCain '50 - First female to lead the NC Democratic Party
- Mary Dana Hinton '88 - Hollins University President
- Betty Debnam Hunt '49 - Founder and creator of the Mini Pages
- Cara Bayley Bosca '41 - Women’s Airforce Service Pilot, WWII
- Raven McDonald '96 - Women's professional soccer player, New York Power
- Marjorie Buckley Bryant '60 - Founder, NC Outward Bound
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Saint Mary's School cost?
Saint Mary's School's tuition is approximately $31,600 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Saint Mary's School?
The acceptance rate of Saint Mary's School is 85%, which is lower than the national average of 87%.
Who are famous alumni from Saint Mary's School?
Saint Mary's School famous alumni include: Bevin Prince '00, Alex Marshall-Brown '03, Sara Rose Nordgren '00, Anne Russell '43, Betty Ray McCain '50, Mary Dana Hinton '88, Betty Debnam Hunt '49, Cara Bayley Bosca '41, Raven McDonald '96 and Marjorie Buckley Bryant '60.
What sports does Saint Mary's School offer?
Saint Mary's School offers 12 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball. Saint Mary's School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for most sports offered.
What is Saint Mary's School's ranking?
Saint Mary's School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for: Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Largest student body, Most AP courses offered, Most sports offered, Most extracurriculars offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Saint Mary's School?
The application deadline for Saint Mary's School is Jan. 30 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 30 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Saint Mary's School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards