Saint Mary's School
Saint Mary's School Photo #2 - At Saint Mary's School, girls focus on the habits of lifelong learning - critical thinking, communication, and character, to build a strong foundation for college and life. More at www.sms.edu.
Saint Mary's School Photo #3 - Arts education at Saint Mary's School include studio art, dance, theatre, chorale and instrumental ensembles, and applied music studies. More at www.sms.edu.
Saint Mary's School Photo #4 - Saint Mary's School athletics offers 11 sports including volleyball, lacrosse, golf, tennis, cross country, soccer, field hockey, softball, swimming, basketball, track and field. The school is a member of the Triangle Independent Schools Athletic Conference and the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association. More at www.sms.edu.
Saint Mary's School Photo #5 - Located in downtown Raleigh, N.C., and in close proximity to the Research Triangle, Saint Mary's School students enjoy easy access to all this vibrant community has to offer. More at www.sms.edu.
Saint Mary's School Photo #6 - Saint Mary's School has a rich Episcopal heritage that informs community values and inspires girls to act with honor and to respect the worth and dignity all. More at www.sms.edu.
- Saint Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school dedicated to academic excellence and personal achievement for girls in grades 9-12.
- Founded in 1842, the historic, residential 23-acre campus is located in the heart of North Carolina's capital city of Raleigh, offering easy access to all the city has to offer as well as a peaceful oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle. With a mission to prepare girls for college and life, Saint Mary`s immerses girls in a dynamic learning environment offering both hands-on classroom learning and opportunities for real-world experiences.
Saint Mary's School places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Coalition of Girls
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||297 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$56,875|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$30,378|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kim Slade|
|Admissions Associate||Emily Smith|
|Endowment Size||$23 million|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBallet, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||47 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Animal Rights Club, Babysitting Club, Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Black Student Union, Bookmark Club, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Equity Club, Fashion Club, Film Club, Fine Arts in Business, FOCUS, Folding For Fun, French Culture Club, Granddaughters Club, Hopeful Thinking Club, Human Rights Alliance, Hype Squad, International Thespian Society, K-Pop Club, Latin Club, Leisure Sports Club, LGBTQ Alliance, Mathemagicians Club, Model United Nations Club, Mu Captains, Music Composition Club, Music Share, National Honor Society, One Love Club, Photography Club, Psychology Club, Robotics Club, Saints Who Code, Science Olympiad, Shop1842, Sigma Captains, Ski Club, SMS Trapshooting Team, Spanish Club, Student Government Association, The Chords, The Muse, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Ladies in Blue a capella group
- Saint Mary`s School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school for girls in grades 912. Established in 1842, the school is celebrating 175 years of academic excellence and personal achievement for girls.
- Saint Mary`s was founded on the belief that an educated woman can make a difference. That`s why Saint Mary`s offers honors and AP courses, three languages, 11 sports, a renowned arts program, college counseling, leadership education, service learning, travel opportunities and more. Dedicated faculty know each girl well and help guide her as she finds her voice, expands her understanding, and achieves more than she ever imagined. As a boarding and day school, Saint Mary`s students live and learn beside girls from around the state, the country and the world.
- An integrated hands-on academic program, challenges girls to embrace the habits of a lifelong learner critical thinking, communication, character and guides them in building a foundation for college and life. Leadership curriculum and real-life experiences empower girls to serve and shape their world with courage and purpose. Dozens of sports, clubs, music and arts studies, volunteer and real-world experiences mean girls can explore and discover new talents and passions. Saint Mary`s rich Episcopal heritage informs values and inspires girls to act with honor and to respect the worth and dignity all.
- In addition, Saint Mary`s historic, 23-acre campus located in downtown Raleigh, and within close proximity to the Research Triangle, offers a uniquely vibrant 24/7 learning and living community that provides every girl with what she needs to learn, grow and thrive as she becomes a young woman of intelligence, integrity, and purpose.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Winston Salem Grades: 9-12 | 92 students
500 E. Salem Ave
Winston Salem, NC 27101
(336)721-2643 91.2 9-12
- Oak Ridge Grades: 7-12 | 84 students
2317 Oak Ridge Rd.
Oak Ridge, NC 27310
(336)643-4131 79.4 7-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.