Atlas International School
- Atlas International School is a preschool, elementary and middle school, with a student to teacher ratio of 6 to 1 for all grades.
- All students learn Spanish, French, violin, and piano, in addition to a fun, challenging core curriculum. (We do not follow Common Core Standards.) We also place a strong emphasis on health, providing our children with ample time for physical activity, and allowing only healthy lunches on site. Another plus at Atlas is that Fridays are optional school days.
Atlas International School places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(White or navy collared shirt with logo, Khaki or navy pants/shorts/skirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||PreK-$300 to $400 per month per language K-3: $9,800 per year 4-8: $10,800 per year|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Howdeshell|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
French, piano, Spanish, violin
- Atlas International School is a preschool, elementary and middle school. The student to teacher ratio at Atlas is 6 to 1 for all grades. We use the Core Knowledge Curriculum for our core classes. We do not follow the Common Core standards. In addition to the core subjects, all Atlas students learn Spanish, French, violin, and piano. We also stress the healthy child, providing our students with ample time for physical activity and allowing only healthy foods for lunch. Atlas is an independent, non-sectarian school. We are also a parent-cooperative school whereby parents agree to actively help with homework each night. We meet for a shorter day than most schools (9:30 to 2:00 or 9:30 to 2:30), thereby giving your child more time to pursue individual interests. Before-school and after-school programs are provided for elementary, and middle school students.Friday is an optional school day for elementary and middle school. Parents can keep their children home for individualized academics, educational trips, more family time, or all of the above. We easily cover the full curriculum required by the state because of the low student/teacher ratio and the parent involvement. At 6 to 1 you get more done! As for parent involvement, it is one of the best indicators of student success, at any school. At Atlas, our teachers send parents the lesson plans and homework for the following week, every Thursday night. We consider parents to be our co-teachers! Although we have many gifted students at Atlas, we are not only for gifted children. Many average or slower learners join us too (often to find they are actually gifted). We've even had students who were slated for special education classes, come to us and turn into straight A students (both at Atlas and in the schools they attended after their years at Atlas).We are not equipped for remedial or special education classes. However, we do wonders for children who simply need more attention, a quieter learning environment, or more careful placement. We place children according to their ability, not their age.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cary Grades: K-12 | 776 students
1330 Old Apex Rd
Cary, NC 27513
(919)303-2560 6.3 K-12
- Raleigh Grades: 4-12 | 111 students
400 Cedarview Court
Raleigh, NC 27609
(919)782-5082 6.2 4-12
For the past 4 years, my children have blossomed at Atlas. I am beyond satisfied with the quality education as well as the kindness of the teachers and staff.
- Posted by Parent - Stacy
Atlas is a wonderful school and my kids are thriving there. Some of my favorite things about Atlas are the shorter school day and Fridays off, the language and music, and the close contact between parents and teachers. Another favorite thing is the way the education can be tailored to fit each child. For example, if a child tests at a higher grade level in math, he/she can go to that higher grade class during math time each day. This is huge because it keeps smart kids excited about learning and school instead of bored and frustrated. Another benefit of it being a small school is that my siblings get a lot of interaction with each other and have many of the same friends even though they are in different grades. This strengthens the sibling relationships which strengthens families. The Atlas environment is very friendly and positive!
- Posted by Parent - Kim
My kids started attending Atlas last year, but I wish we had found it years ago! The small class size, in addition to wonderful and caring teachers, is just perfect. They focus on healthy food as well as emphasizing the need for allowing children to play outside. It truly is a wonderful find.
- Posted by Parent - Ella
My son is thriving in Atlas. Having no previous private school experience, I was worried about fitting in, and meeting the demands of a private education. Atlas sets expectations to the student. They expect great things from all students, but only to each individual's potential. They don't expect all students to be math pros because Johnny is, but they DO expect each child to reach or exceed his potential. The whole mind body philosophy works!! We will stay with Atlas as long as I can financially make it happen!
- Posted by Parent - Mommy
My child had problems earlier this year and the school staff really knew what was happening with my child in both the classroom and on the playground. They were able to help me and my child fix the problem. Small groups really got my child the attention she needed. Yay for Atlas!
- Posted by Parent - wmhca
I love teaching at Atlas because of the individualized instruction I am able to provide my students on a daily basis!
- Posted by Teacher - kimno