Rocky Mount Academy
RMA students are required to give back to the community during their high school years. These students cleaned up yards in the vicinity of RMA after Hurricane Irene.
RMA seniors historically have the highest SAT scores among local public and private schools. They are accepted into some of the best colleges and universities in the nation each year. Since the first graduating class, almost 100% of graduates have attended college.
Interscholastic sports are a big part of the RMA Experience. About 88% of our 7th-12th graders play on at least one sports team each year. RMA is a member of the NC Independent School Athletic Association.
RMA students live life on the EDGE. That's our technology initiative of Educating the Digital Generation in Education. Every 6th-12th is issued a laptop/tablet for school and home use that does not replace teachers or textbooks. Every Lower School classroom has four desktop computer stations and four iPads with educational apps on them, and all classrooms have interactive data projectors.
RMA has a wonderful music department, with many opportunities to discover and use your talents. Music is taught from day one at RMA, and, in high school, there are electives such as a music performance class for students who perform instruments. They are showcased many times during the year. There are equal opportunities for vocalists through choruses.
- Rocky Mount Academy is a co-ed college preparatory day school for grades PK-12.
- It is the only non-sectarian independent school in the area and attracts students from several surrounding counties and communities.
- For 45 years, RMA has provided a nurturing community where an emphasis on academics, character, and community has prepared students for the challenges, opportunities, and responsibilities that they will encounter in life and college.
- With a strong college prep curriculum that produces well prepared, independent learners and with abundant opportunities to participate in sports, clubs, and leadership organizations, RMA is an outstanding educational option for families in the area.
- RMA is proud to serve the community and to contribute the independent school option to the area's education choices.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||401 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Calculus AB, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature, Environmental Science, Government & Politics, Modern European History, Psychology, Statistics, US History|
|Average SAT score||1240|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No uniforms but enforced dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Please call for current tuition information. Tuition can be paid once a year, in three equal installments, or monthly.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,252|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tom Maze|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Stone|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Marksmanship, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||23 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Marshals, Accelerated Reader, Chess Club, Chorus, Drama Club, Environmental Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Film Club, French Club, Guitar Club, Honor Council, Key Club, Longboarding Club, Middle School SGA, National Honor Society, Odyssey of the Mind, Pep Club, Ping Pong Club, Science Olympiad, Spanish Club, Stock Market Club, Ukulele Club, Upper School SGA Chess Club, Chorus, Drama Club, Film Club, French Club, Guitar Club, Honor Council, Key Club, Pep Club, Ping Pong Club, Spanish Club, Ukulele Club, Academic Marshals,
Fellowship of Christian Athletes,
Middle School SGA,
National Honor Society,
Odyssey of the Mind,
Stock Market Club,
Upper School SGA,
- Rocky Mount Academy is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Every classroom at RMA is equipped with an interactive data projector which provides teachers with an additional teaching tool. Each teacher has a Microsoft Surface that interacts with the projector. Each Lower School classroom has state of the art computer workstations and iPads, both loaded with education apps. Every student in grades 6-12 is provided a Microsoft Surface for school and home use. Crome books available for use in class for 1st-5th grades.
- RMA Pre-K is considered the most academic program in the area, with language arts and math curicula in addtion to the special classes in PE, Music, Library, Guidance, and Technology, and learning through play centers.
- 92% of high schoolers take at least one Honors or AP course.
- Twenty four of the Class of 2013 graduates (31 of 31) received $2.787 million in merit scholarships. RMA had the only Morehead-Cain Scholar (UNC-CH), the only Johnson Scholar (Washington and Lee University) and the only National Achievement Scholar in the area. Also, the only Alvey Scholar (University of Mary Washington) in the US for 2013 was from RMA.
- 88% of grade-eligible students play on at least one team a year.
- Opportunities for national and regional summer academic and leadership programs.
- Classroom education augmented by dayfield trips. Overnight class trips that tie into curriculum begin in 5th grade.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Rocky MountGrades: PK-12 | 411 students
1333 Faith Christian Dr
Rocky Mount, NC 27803
Rocky MountGrades: PK-8 | 108 students
315 Hammond St
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Rocky MountGrades: PK-KG | 100 students
1350 S Winstead Ave
Rocky Mount, NC 27803
Rocky MountGrades: PK-KG | 71 students
100 S Church St
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
WilsonGrades: PK-12 | 309 students
Po Box 3525
Wilson, NC 27895
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?