Baker Demonstration School
Think more deeply. Baker classrooms are alive with inquiry, investigation and ideas, and these ideas, often imagined into being by students like your sons and daughters, enrich and sometimes even spontaneously direct the focus of a class in unexpected ways, ultimately empowering students to think more deeply about their world.
Be a doer. Baker students actively apply what they have learned - strongly advocating for what they think and believe, fearlessly asking The Big Question in class, thoughtfully planning a community service initiative - and develop into young men and young women who are doers and more often leaders in any endeavor they pursue.
Celebrate your you-ness. Whether taller or smaller, funny or shy, city-born or North Shore-raised, Baker is a once-in-a-lifetime learning environment where your sons and daughters can safely explore and discover what really makes them them, leading to a celebration of their uniqueness and a self-confidence that will last a lifetime.
Stand out in high school. Creative and independent thinkers who are also confident, humble, thoughtful, socially aware, and endlessly inquisitive, your sons and daughters will leave eighth grade with the tangible knowledge and the intangible tools to stand out to teachers and peers in the high school of their choice.
- Baker Demonstration School nurtures each child to become a creative, confident and reflective learner, strong in mind, body and heart.
- Baker students think independently, engage collaboratively, make connections across disciplines, realize their talents and apply their learning beyond school.
- Baker's inclusive community celebrates individual, family and cultural differences. Baker serves an ever-changing world through research-based curriculum that promotes academic excellence through active inquiry, exploration and continual innovation by our entire learning community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||316 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / Mar. 20 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,500|
|Tuition Notes||Full day Kindergarten tuition listed Full tuition schedule: http://bakerdemschool.org/tuition-financial-aid.html|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Hilary Holder|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Actors Gym, Chess Wizards, CircEsteem, Einstein by Design, Elementary Etiquette Society, Kids Table, LLC, Mad Science, Mandarin, Mudlark Theatre, Music, Play-Well Tek Engineering/Architecture, Science Olympiad, Swimming, Tae Kwon do, The Northwest Passage & Polar Expeditions, Zumba Actors Gym, Chess Wizards, CircEsteem, Kids Table, LLC, Mad Science, Mandarin, Music, Swimming, Tae Kwon do, Zumba, Einstein by Design,
Elementary Etiquette Society,
Play-Well Tek Engineering/Architecture,
The Northwest Passage & Polar Expeditions,
- Baker Demonstration School is an independent coeducational school, serving toddler through eighth grade children, dedicated to creating well-rounded students through the principles of progressive education. Less formally, Baker is a school where children learn by doing.
- It is sometimes easy to overlook the fact that, from the Toddler Program through eighth grade, a student`s academic career at Baker can span as many as 12 years. Throughout the arc of those many years, the school`s commitment to a broad curriculum grounded in progressive education, and the goal of creating citizens fully prepared to contribute to society, never wavers. The emphasis on experiential, real-life learning over pre-packaged curricula forms the cornerstone of Baker`s educational philosophy. With smaller classrooms It is what makes every Baker day engaging and every Baker student eager for more.
- Founded in 1918 by Clara Belle Baker, a leader in progressive education, the curriculum today still reflects the philosophy she shared with the likes of Francis Parker, John Dewey, and Jean Piaget. In broad strokes, the school emphasizes hands-on learning over lectures and memorization of facts. Furthermore, as the North Shore`s only demonstration school, Baker is a place where students from leading college- and graduate-level education programs come to learn from our master instructors as teachers-in-training. Consequently, the majority of the classrooms have both a teacher and an associate teacher. It is the unique combination of demonstration school and progressive curriculum that makes Baker uniquely suited to teach children tolove to learn, cherish the journey and serve the world.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
NorthfieldGrades: PK-12 | 367 students
315 Waukegan Rd
Northfield, IL 60093
BellwoodGrades: PK-8 | 121 students
425 Bohland Ave
Bellwood, IL 60104
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?