Baker Demonstration School
- Baker Demonstration School nurtures each child to become a creative, confident and reflective learner, strong in mind, body and heart.
- Baker students think independently, engage collaboratively, make connections across disciplines, realize their talents and apply their learning beyond school.
- Baker's inclusive community celebrates individual, family and cultural differences. Baker serves an ever-changing world through research-based curriculum that promotes academic excellence through active inquiry, exploration and continual innovation by our entire learning community.
Baker Demonstration School places among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||269 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 14 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,565|
|Tuition Notes||Full day Kindergarten tuition listed Full tuition schedule: http://bakerdemschool.org/tuition-financial-aid.html|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Wizards, CircEsteem, Einstein by Design, Kids Table, LLC, Mad Science, Mandarin, Mudlark Theatre, Play-Well Tek Engineering/Architecture, Science Olympiad, Tae Kwon do
Arts and Music Programs:
Actors Gym, Music
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Swimming, Water Polo, Zumba
- Baker Demonstration School is an independent coeducational school, serving preschool through eighth grade children, dedicated to creating well-rounded students through the principles of progressive education. Less formally, Baker is a school where children learn by doing.
- Nationally recognized for educational excellence, Baker balances academic rigor with whole child development, giving students the sklls, stamina, and ethical framework to succed in life. From preschool through eighth grade, students thrive in Baker's innovative, experiential environment.
- Founded in 1918 by Clara Belle Baker, a leader in progressive education, the curriculum today still reflects the philosophy she shared with the likes of Francis Parker, John Dewey, and Jean Piaget. In broad strokes, the school emphasizes hands-on learning over lectures and memorization of facts.
- The emphasis on experiential, real-life learning over pre-packaged curricula forms the cornerstone of Baker`s educational philosophy. For those who prefer an education that's anything but textbook, it's time to experience Baker.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bellwood Grades: PK-8 | 141 students
425 Bohland Ave
Bellwood, IL 60104
(708)547-9980 16.3 PK-8
We choose Baker because of the focus on experiential learning and its philosophy that puts the child at the center where each student can take ownership and help direct his/her learning. This was crucial for my son, who entered Baker in 4th grade, because I knew he learned best when he was "doing" and also needed to build confidence in speaking and learning the skills of self-advocacy. We have been gratified with our Baker experience within weeks of entering school, he was thrust into "Baker Business School", where the 4th and 5th graders pitched product ideas, formed companies, applied for jobs, negotiated loans, developed marketing plans and websites and had "manufacturing week" where they built their products. The 8-week unit culminated in a product fair where parents, students and teachers could purchase the wonderfully creative items. Our son came home each night animated about his job as CFO and talking about things that I might have thought were out of his grasp but really weren`t. Thank you Baker!
- Posted by Parent - Andrea
Baker has been an outstanding education and social experience for our entire family. The environment is kind, progressive, thoughtful, and intelligent, and the new leadership has set the school on a continued path to success. My daughters are known well by their teachers, for whom they have great affection, and I see how they are allowed to BE THEMSELVES as valued members of the community. They are excited to go to school and have learned more than I ever imagined through hands-on, experiential learning that is tied to a strong and coordinated curriculum. Learning is differentiated in small classrooms with additional associate teachers on hand, allowing for extra attention and guidance when needed. In fact, Baker has some of the hardest working teachers I've ever known, continually adjusting and modifying their curriculum to meet student interests and enhance learning. It is a dynamic and profound experience to see in action.Teachers and administrators are communicative, welcoming, and accessible at all times, and parent involvement is encouraged. Values such as integrity, respect, tolerance, and compassion are part of the fabric of the school.When I meet Baker graduates, I constantly notice how compassionate, intelligent, articulate, curious, and civic-minded they are, able to advocate for themselves and stand up for others. It is a joy to be part of a place where children are put front and center in a safe, caring, and truly exciting learning environment.
- Posted by Parent - Pamela
We absolutely love Baker. We intended to leave after preschool and put our children in the public schools (Evanston) but now have been there almost 8 years. Our two girls are excited every morning to go to school, and we love who they are becoming at Baker. The school is educating them as citizens of the world--the girls are curious learners and thoughtful community members. The teachers care deeply for the students, and help them both academics as well as socio-emotional learning, which are deeply connected. The girls are becoming advocates for themselves, and developing flexibility and openness for a changing world. We are both professors at Northwestern and see a lot of college students missing important traits and skills (many lack independence and are full of anxiety, fear of risk taking, and rigidity/performing to the test, etc.), and think a place like Baker is an important antidote to such problems that characterize many of today's college students. We couldn't be happier. We love Baker and want to share it with others.
- Posted by Parent - Beth