Cedar Hill Prep School
- Top Ranked NJ School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-8
- Students: 268 students
- Acceptance rate: 30%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- St. Nicholas Day - 12/06/2021Through our imaginations, the Kindergarten children took their second Magic Carpet Ride of the holiday season to Germany and Turkey to see how children there celebrate St. Nicholas Day! It was exciting to envision!! We saw children place their polished shoes outside of their classrooms in hopes that St. Nicholas would visit with gifts of candy and toys. We wrote about this exciting journey in our Kindergarten passports!
- National French Week - 11/22/2021Organized by the American Association of Teachers of French (AATF), National French Week is an annual celebration of French language and francophone cultures. The purpose of National French Week is to increase our community`s understanding and appreciation of the francophone world by finding interesting and entertaining ways of looking at how French touches our lives. It`s also a chance to learn about the dozens of countries and millions of people who speak this beautiful language.
- CHP Fall Performance - 11/22/2021On Thursday, November 18th, Mr. Homiak and Miss Duncan, the CHP Drama teachers led an ensemble of CHP`s finest aspiring young thespians in a performance of a series of connected monologues about various Greek myths. Adapted from Myth-O-Logues by Janice Harris, the play featured solo recitations from students in Second through Eighth Grade as they embodied characters from throughout mythology. The audience heard about the tragic tale of Orpheus and Euridice, met mythical creatures like the Centaur and the Siren, learned about the heroic exploits in the Trojan War, and discovered the stories of legendary figures like Pandora, Pygmalion, and Persephone. A great time was had by the audience and the performers alike!
- CHP House System Officer Elections 2021-2022 - 11/15/2021On Friday, October 29th, the CHP House System held its officer elections for the 2021-2022 school year. The candidates each ran a great campaign, with promotional visuals designed by each student displayed all around the Middle School building, announcing their campaign message and candidate qualifications. Each House gathered as a group and listened to their candidates speeches, before taking turns voting electronically in booths divided by their respective Houses.
- Earth Architecture - 10/25/2021Cedar Hill Prep Students in art class from grades 4 8 create miniature homes built from mud, stones, and grass sticks. Post navigationHispanic Heritage Month Celebration at Cedar Hill PrepSearch News
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration at Cedar Hill Prep - 10/25/2021Cedar Hill Prep talent was once again on display as preschool to grade 8 students celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month through song, poetry, dance, and drama. CHP`s little biculturals started the celebration with their resounding recitation of the pledge of allegiance in Spanish "El Prometo de lealtad."
- Closing the PreK Gap - 10/25/2021Here at Cedar Hill Prep we recognize that the public health challenges of the previous school year have created an educational gulf for many of the youngest members of our local community. The concerns of area parents have not gone unheeded and we are here to reassure you of not only the safety protocols in place on campus at CHP, but the excellent support and instruction of our deeply caring and highly experienced teachers awaiting every student returning to CHP this year or joining us for the first time.
- A Safe and Happy Learning Environment - 10/18/2021As New Jersey students return to in-person schooling, we at CHP look ahead toward a year that we recognize may be marked by uncertainty but will be defined by our confidence and experience as a trusted destination for education and understanding in the greater Somerset County area. To address the concerns that are shared by so many families as we navigate the ongoing reality of the pandemic, Cedar Hill Prep reassures the families of all of our students of the seriousness with which we treat this public health crisis and the care we take in observing safety protocols as suggested by the CDC.
- Keeping COVID Under Control - 10/18/2021As we move into another autumn living with the outbreak of COVID and head toward the winter, when seasonal illness rates tend to spike even in a typical year, the need is greater than ever to heed the seriousness of this ongoing pandemic and to exercise precautions in a way that the vast majority of people are capable of. Evidence of the effectiveness of wearing masks and implementing regular testing can be found in recent activity at Boston`s Northeastern University. Northeastern has been conducting mandatory campus-wide testing since the beginning of the semester earlier in September in order to keep tabs on any potential variant breakthroughs.
This weekly form of health crisis management has helped keep COVID off of the university grounds. The numbers coming out of Northeastern`s campus offer clarity and encouragement around the continuing struggle with the pandemic and ongoing confusion as to the facts concerning the virus. In the first couple weeks of in-person attendance testing has been administered to everyone on the campus, whether they are vaccinated or not. This has yielded consistent lows in the campus presence of COVID, resulting in merely 23 students quarantining, and 146 students in isolation out of the entire undergraduate enrollment of over 15,000 students.
Click ont he link to read more...
- Mask Myths Debunked! - 10/18/2021In the face of the ongoing pandemic, and with variant strains on the rise, vaccination and sanitization alone may not be enough to mitigate the continuing spread of COVID-19. In order to further take measures to avoid the chance of infection in school we have mandated, in accordance with state health guidelines, the wearing of masks for all students and staff while inside the buildings of CHP`s campus.
4 Common Myths:
1. Myth: I`m not sick so I don`t need to wear a mask.
2. Myth: Wearing a cloth mask does not protect you from getting COVID-19.
3. Myth: Wearing a mask will increase the amount of carbon dioxide I breathe and will make me sick.
4. Myth: If I`m wearing a mask, I don`t need to practice social distancing.
- Drama Class - 10/04/2021Students with a flair for the dramatic throughout CHP have gotten into the acting spirit in Drama Class with the school`s new theatre instructors Miss Mary Blair Duncan and Mr. Scott Homiak. The younger students have been learning about both creation and performance in the theater through their work on story structure and articulation. They have also been practicing being good audience members and helping each other tell stories based on their real-life experiences. In the older students` classes, they began the year with a project showcasing theatrical disguise and the notion of taking on another identity. Each student decorated a papier-mache mask, using acrylic paint pens, in a style that was unique to their interests and personal aesthetic.
Then they chose a stage name in conjunction with the faces they had created. From there the students dove into performance-based activities, such as confidence-building ice-breaking games and enacting scripts aloud in small groups and as a solo monologue.
- Welcome Picnic - 09/27/2021Cedar Hill Prep opened its campus to the parents of our students and the families of our staff in order to celebrate the return of our annual in-person Welcome Picnic. The Welcome Picnic was an event for the entire CHP community to come together, get to know one another, and enjoy some great fun, food and games.
- CHP will ease your concerns about coming back to school! - 08/10/2021We take every measure to make CHP a safe place to learn. Every student has remained healthy on campus at CHP, where safety and security is our number one priority.
Visit our website to know more.
#cedarhillprepschool Fosters a Sense of Belonging!
- CHP Elementary School - 07/19/2021CHP Elementary School is geared towards giving a strong foundation in academics and social skills to the students, including developing positive social interactions.Did you find the right school yet?
- Parents Testimonial - 07/19/2021Parents of students of various ages from across the Cedar Hill Prep community share their feelings on the connection their children found within our school and the value of the education they receive each day.
Please visit our website to discover more about one of the best private schools in New Jersey and read additional testimonials from other families.
#cedarhillprepschool Fosters a Sense of Belonging!
- CHP Transportation - 07/12/2021Distance should not keep you from a CHP Education. We Offer 3 Options of Transportation:
3. Nonpublic School Transportation
- Singing and Dancing Competition - 06/21/2021What a challenge it was for the 3 judges of the Singing and Dancing Competition to choose the first and second place winners amongst all of our talented students. Our students` talents were displayed on video for "House" points! As per our tradition, the first-place winners of the Singing and Dancing CompetItion performance videos will be aired via Zoom in Mr. Seeley`s virtual assembly for all students, families, and faculty to excitedly watch. Throughout the entire process of the competition, students received an outpouring of encouragement and support from their teachers and peers. The performances are truly sensational! Congratulations to all!
- Debate Tournament Awards - 06/14/2021On Tuesday, June 8th students were presented with the debate awards. The April 10th Debate Tournament Topics were Prohibit Privatization of Water, and Space Exploration is Good for America.
CHP 2nd Place School for Total Points
Bridgeton Middle School was represented by one team since they were also on Spring Break. They made history for the Debate Club at Bridgeton Middle School (5 years) by winning the tournament.
- Butterflies - 06/07/2021Preschool:
Cedar Hill Prep School preschoolers had the awesome experience of watching caterpillars transform into beautiful butterflies in their classrooms over the past few weeks. They learned about the stages of a butterfly by observation. The class received 5 little caterpillars in a jar with food already provided. The children watched each day as the caterpillars ate and ate and grew and grew.
Imagine the smiles on the faces of the Pre-Kindergarten children when they walked into class after the weekend and saw that all 5 of our pupas opened up. The children in Pre-Kindergarten so enjoyed learning about the life cycle of a butterfly. We learned about the 4 stages and we witnessed the 2nd through the 4th stages right before our eyes. After observing the butterflies we went outside and released them into their natural environment. It was so amazing watching them fly off to begin their journey.
Kindergarten and grade one watched the metamorphosis of our caterpillars turn into butterflies. Today we set our butterflies free! Enjoy the video!
- Happy Mother's Day - 05/10/2021Our Mother's Day Celebration was awesome! The Pre-Kindergarten classes celebrated their wonderful, stylish moms with a fun get-together. Our moms joined us on Zoom and each child shared with their mom why they love her. The moms then received a "Best Mom" certificate. Moms rock and CHP has the best! Cedar Hill Prep School Wishes Everyone a very Happy Mother's Day!
#cedarhillprepschool Fosters a Sense of Belonging!
- CHP VEX IQ ROBOTICS - 03/29/2021VEX IQ is a robotics platform designed to transform the STEM learning paradigm for young students. When students have the ability to jump right in and snap robots together using an intuitive tool-less system, it can unlock curiosity and a passion that will stay with them for life.
- CHP Debate Award Winners - 03/29/2021Cedar Hill Prep School has participated in two debate tournaments this year as a member of the Garden State Debate League. Each tournament involves more than 100 students debating on topics that are considered relevant to Middle School Students.
- Decoding Education - LEADERSHIP DURING COVID - 03/01/2021Listen to this Podcast in the link shared.
Hear Multiple Perspectives and Insights
Please share the podcast with your friends and families.
- CHP Decoding Education - Podcast - 02/22/2021Decoding Education - HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR CULTURAL IDENTITY IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY.
Listen to this Podcast in the link shared.
View the Cedar Hill Prep School yearly calendar below.
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Advanced Art Club, Chess, Debate League, Drama Club, Drawing Club, Lego Club, Mad Science, Reading and Writing Club, Robotics
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Studio, Chorus, Piano
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Cedar Hill Preparatory School is a private school which holds the philosophy of the curriculum and instruction is based on the premise that all children are gifted. However, the makeup of the Educational Environment is key to harnessing each child`s special gift. We feel children learn best in a safe, caring and nurturing environment that fosters partnerships between the family and the school. We aim to provide a diverse environment, abundant space and stimulating activities and we strive to empower children to reach their unique potential socially, physically, intellectually, and emotionally.
- We encourage all of our students to: develop valuable intellectual and social skills, appreciate the richness of the world`s cultures, think independently, be curious and explore, reach their own unique potential, develop their character to become positive, confident and productive citizens.
- Cedar Hill Preparatory School is a private school that offers a combination of a forward thinking and clearly defined curriculum, a faculty promoting excellence in learning, and an environment that encourages social awareness and a commitment to cultivating meaningful relationships with our families. The small class sizes help each child get individual attention. Cedar Hill Prep School students perform consistently in the top 10% in the nation in standardized tests.
- Graduates from Cedar Hill Prep School have been accepted to The Pingry School, Peddie School, Princeton Day School, The Hun School, St. Josephs High School, Bishop Ahr School, Immaculata High School and Rutgers Prep.
- We give direct explicit instruction in Spelling, Grammar, Vocabulary, Writing, and Reading. We teach Singapore Math and Math applications in real life. Our Science program is a fully integrated curriculum including online and print text sources, interactive notebooks, and journals. Students connect Science to Current Events and debate issues. The Social Studies program enhances the NCSS C3 framework curriculum which includes multi-cultural studies. The program is a fully integrated integrated curriculum including online and print text sources. Students connect Social Studies to Current Events, debate issues, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, and Literature. Students learn World Language including French and Spanish. In Grades 6 through 8, students take the National Spanish Honor Exam, receiving honors in gold, silver, and bronze. In addition, Engineering and Technology are taught once a week as separate subjects and are integrated into the content areas. Tutoring is available for students each week.
- Community Service: Mandatory for all students. - Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation - Environmental and Team Building - Stewardship Certificate - Team Building and Leadership Retreat
- Music is part of the curriculum from Preschool through Grade 8. Students can take additional voice and instrument lessons after school. We offer Acapella, Choir, Ukulele, Recorder, and Piano.
- Visual Art is part of the curriculum from Preschool through Grade 8. After school art programs are available.
- The Drama Program is part of the curriculum from Grade 3 through Grade 8. Students perform two events per year.
- Competitions / Leagues: Robocup Junior (World Champions) - Garden State Debate League - Scripps Spelling Bee - National Geography Bee (Finalists) - National History Bee (Finalists) - Math League (Top 10 in the Country - Math Counts (Best New School) - AMC 8 (Top 5% in the Country) - National Science Bowl - National Academic Quiz Tournament -Junior Solar Sprints (Regional Champions) - Bright School Science Competion (Finalists) - Verizon App Challenge
- Clubs: Art Clubs, Swim Club, Concert Choir, Book Club, Brickz for Kidz, Cermaics, Creative Writing, Instruments, Acapella, Debate Club, Piano and keyboarding, Reading and Writing Club, Mad Science and Robotics.
- Athletics: Middle School Basketball League, Middle School Soccer League
Endorse Cedar Hill Prep School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards