Chesapeake Montessori School
Tel: (757) 547-7673
- Chesapeake Montessori Pre-School was established in 1991. It is located in the heart of Great Bridge near Chesapeake City Hall.
- The school operated as a one-room Children's House (ages 3- 6 years) for 11 years.
- In 2002 it was purchased by Shanna and Joe Honan.
- After teaching and directing the school for one year, in 2003, Shanna added a second Children's House classroom.
- In 2006, Shanna and Joe decided to change the name of the school to Chesapeake Montessori School (CMS) in order to better identify the school's new direction.
- In September 2007, a Lower Elementary classroom opened, educating children ages 6 through 9 years.
- Chesapeake Montessori School now houses three classrooms with an approximate enrollment of 80 students.
- Preschool children have the option of attending 3, 4 or 5 days per week.
- Kindergarten and elementary aged children must attend 5 days per week.
- Chesapeake Montessori School also houses the Virginia Montessori Teacher Education Center.
- This is a training center for individuals who wish to become certified Montessori teachers.
- Students will be prepared to teach children ages 2.5 - 6 years after completing this year long curriculum.
- Candidates are also required to complete a 540 hour internship.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-7|
|Total Students||117 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chesapeake Grades: PK-3 | 175 students
1101 Volvo Parkway
Chesapeake, VA 23320
(757) 547-9530 4.1 PK-3
- Chesapeake Grades: PK-5 | 102 students
825 Greenbrier Parkway
Chesapeake, VA 23320
(757) 548-9280 3 PK-5
- Norfolk Grades: PK-8 | 124 students
610 Mowbray Arch
Norfolk, VA 23507
(757) 622-8174 10.1 PK-8
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?