Community High School
Community High School Photo #2 - Our open green space next to the school building is available for student use throughout the day. Students use this space to eat lunch, play frisbee and soccer, and sit or study in the sunshine when the weather is nice. We also have a basketball court, and a small patio area with a picnic table.
Community High School Photo #3 - Community High School is a small, independent, college preparatory high school grounded in the liberal arts with a commitment to seminar-based classes. We were founded in 2002 by a group of parents who were looking for a more innovative and responsive high school environment for their own children.
Community High School Photo #4 - In 2011, Community High moved to a beautiful permanent home in a restored historic warehouse in downtown Roanoke. The building boasts original wide plank flooring, exposed brick walls, and heart pine timbers, along with a flexible 150-seat theater, band rehearsal facilities, painting and film-editing studios, and a fully equipped science laboratory.
Community High School Photo #5 - Students who thrive at Community High School value trust, humor, empathy, curiosity, and respect for the free exchange of ideas. They tend to find joy in academic pursuits and form strong bonds with their CHS peers and teachers. The community is small with 65 total students and about 15 faculty members, which allows for small class sizes and individualized attention.
Community High School is a small, secular independent college preparatory high school grounded in the liberal arts, founded with a commitment to seminar based classes, and located in Roanoke's city center.
Our mission is to foster creative and independent problem solvers with diverse backgrounds and abilities into scientifically and culturally literate, globally conscious, locally engaged citizens.
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 64 students
- Yearly Tuition: $5,500
- Application Deadline: Apr. 1 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Apr. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Club or Organization:
- Community High School is a small, secular, independent school located in downtown Roanoke. Our curriculum emphasizes critical thinking in preparation for a rigorous liberal arts education. Classes operate in a college-seminar based format and are taught by a highly and widely qualified faculty committed to the progressive tradition. The downtown campus allows our students direct access to many of Roanoke`s cultural institutions. Our students come from backgrounds diverse by faith, ethnicity, interest and economic position-we have never lost a student to financial need-and are committed to becoming responsible, culturally literate, globally conscious, and locally engaged citizens.
- Our Mission is to develop creative and independent problem solvers with diverse backgrounds and abilities who will be scientifically and culturally literate, globally conscious, locally engaged citizens.
Profile last updated: 03/01/2021
Endorse Community High School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Understanding Private School Tuition
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
Books About Private School
What's private school really like? Find out from people who have been there.
You Won't Find....
You won't find several things in private schools which you will find in public schools.