- Compass School serves grades 7-12 with a rigorous, relevant, and respectful learning opportunity in Westminster, Vermont. Compass School inspires and educates students to develop the knowledge, skills and personal qualities essential to pursuing their dreams and contributing positively to the world. The concepts that guide the design of the curriculum at Compass are: achieving academic excellence through engaging, relevant and diverse learning experiences
- connecting school to the community and the environment and fostering a community where all voices are valued and students confidently seek greater challenges.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
State or regional independent school association
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||all SLD; OHI; High functioning autism|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 8%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,130|
|Tuition Notes||Our tuition is set to match the per-student state average published by the VT Dept of Education each spring.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Brian Whitehouse|
- Compass School has ambitious goals for all its students. We expect every child to develop not only as a good student but also as a good person. For us, this means being knowledgeable and skillful academically, community minded, culturally aware, responsible, healthy, self-aware and self-directed.
- This doesn`t happen by chance nor can it happen only through the academic curriculum. We know that students need diverse, purpose-driven experiences to achieve these lofty goals.
- In addition to academic requirements, all Compass students are required to participate in a diverse and balanced curriculum that we feel educates the whole person and readies our graduates for life in the world beyond the school walls.
Profile last updated:
The Compass School is a leading example of how education is evolving and differing from the conventional to deliver a world class experience that develops passions, furthers understanding, and invokes a quest to expand one's knowledge in whatever realm the student chooses. During my time at Compass as a student, that realm was science. A science curriculum, especially, is never a "one size fits all" operation, and can be a tricky subject for many to fully grasp. This is why great efforts must be taken in order to fully communicate the capabilities, functions, and workings of all things science to our children and encourage them to be a part of the exciting realm of possibilities that science has to offer. I believe that there is no better place to take these efforts than the Compass School. Compass has proven that with an individualized approach to education, creative thinking, and determination, passions sprout from the fertile minds of today`s youth to form majestic and admirable individuals that perform the unthinkable, and ultimately prepare them to make a profoundly positive impact on the world.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Wilson Schreiber
Do you want your child to love school again? We enrolled one of our children at Compass School, and it has gone so well for her that we enrolled our second child, as well. Both our kids now love going to school everyday. Expect hands on learning, supportive community, small class sizes and dedicated staff. Compass School students are encouraged to think critically, ask questions, participate in school events, and talk to teachers outside of class if they need help. Compass takes learning out of the box, writing and performing skits, enacting history, 11th grade cultural trip, fiesta night, skiing winter excursions are some of our favorites. Each student is appreciated for the unique qualities they bring. Good financial aid, too!
- Posted by Parent - Scott
I cannot say enough about The Compass School and Staff. My son has grown and flourished because of the caring and supportive nature that is found at this organization. I would recommend this school to anyone who is searching for an education that promotes a love of learning and individuality. The classes are small in size with the teachers offering encouragement and individual attention not always found at larger schools. Students who need additional help are guided through the learning process while given tools to become individual scholars. To me Compass is not just a space for learning but is also a family. One my own family is very proud to be a part of.
- Posted by Parent - Kimberly G-O'
My son started at Compass as a 7th grader and is now a Junior. Compass has done so much for him socially & academically. I remember him telling me that they teach you how you learn. He is now looking at an endless number of college options. They balance education with life skills and teach kids to be good citizens.
- Posted by Parent - Charmion