5.00 (2 reviews)
- Vermont Academy is a small college preparatory boarding and day school serving grades 9 through 12 plus a postgraduate year. Founded in 1876, Vermont Academy provides experiential education for the whole student, including exemplary academics, athletics, and arts.
- Students are encouraged to explore, to tinker, and to innovate.
- They are free to become their best selves: puck-shooting painters, math whizzes turned thespians, fashion-designing equestrian chemists, all-AP snowboarding cellists.
- Students benefit from a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, a robust advising program, top-notch learning skills support, and over 120 courses. Twenty-five percent of students are international, with 13 countries represented.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||246 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||44 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||24 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English, AP Environmental Science, AP French, AP Spanish, AP Statistics|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$56,550|
|Tuition Notes||$30,550 Day Students|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,873|
|Admissions Director||Andrew Millikin|
|Admissions Associate||Caitlin Wilkins|
|Endowment Size||$13 million|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, TennisAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Diversity Club, Math Club, Model UN|
- At Vermont Academy, we are committed to helping our students discover their talents while developing the character, skills, strength, and values that will help them grow into confident, independent learners who give back to their community and to the world. Our small community and classes, dedicated faculty, rigorous curriculum, and wide range of athletics and activities--set in the beautiful hills of Vermont--encourage every student to grow and discover their voice.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ashburnham Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
39 School Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978)827-7000 41.5 9-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413)498-3227 32.2 9-12
- Manchester Grades: 6-12 | 386 students
2108 River Road
Manchester, NH 03104
(603)669-4524 53.6 6-12
I can't say enough positive things about my experience at Vermont Academy. The support provided to the students, especially those who were furthest from home, was astounding, to say the least. The activities, athletics, and academics are balanced extremely well, with great opportunities to enhance many budding life-long friendships. After nearly 20 years, I am still very much in contact with many former classmates from VA. The experience set a foundation for me to build strong relationships in both personal and professional circles. I was most impressed with the athletics at VA. As a soccer player, I was challenged everyday by the competitiveness among New England prep schools, and looked forward to spending any time with my team, both on and off the field. My fondest memories are those from my days as a VA Wildcat. I am profoundly grateful to Vermont Academy and everything it offered me. I would highly recommend this private school to anyone.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - graph
If you send an innocent son or daughter to Vermont Academy, be prepare for the real possibility that he or she will come back as an expert drug and alcohol user. The opportunities for acquiring either of them are just as abundant as the chances to getting a good degree, if not better.
- Posted by Parent - Amod1
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.