The Putney School
5.00 (1 review)
The Putney School Photo #2 - The Putney School is located on a working dairy farm. We value the dignity and relevance of physical work, which shows through our Work Program. Students carry out daily chores, collaborate in teams, learn skills, and sometimes lead crews in various areas: barn, kitchen, land-use, dining & maintenance.
The Putney School Photo #3 - We are not a 'prep' school. While many of our students head off to the top colleges in the country, their experiences at Putney are about engaging material, expanding interests, and gaining tools, not 'preparing' to be somewhere else.
The Putney School Photo #4 - Art is a part of every student's daily life. We take the arts seriously while supporting a spirit of discovery. We offer 20 art forms, including blacksmithing, ceramics, chorus, creative writing, dance, drama, fiber arts, jazz, jewelry, orchestra, Latin dance, photography, sculpture, stained glass & woodworking.
The Putney School Photo #5 - Sustainability is at the center of a Putney education. It is embedded in our campus, our community, and our curriculum. We are located on a 500-acre working dairy farm in southeastern Vermont, this serves as a laboratory and partner for studying the world around us and applying the lessons we learn about ecology, forestry, energy and agriculture.
The Putney School Photo #6 - The community at Putney is warm, open, mutually respectful and rousing. We come together as a whole school three times per week. Every Thursday is All School Sing (pictured here), a tradition dating back to Putney's founding in the '30's, which spans a fun and eclectic assortment of styles.
- We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received.
- When students learn by doing rather than being told, they develop confidence, deeper understanding, and resolve.
- Our continued commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs, and our deliberate choices for our community and curriculum have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||226 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$59,400|
|Tuition Notes||Day students: $35,300|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||John Barrengos|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Climbing,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Literary Magazine, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber Orchestra, Madrigals, Orchestra
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Horseback riding, Mountain Biking
- The Putney School is designed for independent, motivated, and capable students seeking intellectual freedom, responsibility and opportunities for competence in a variety of fields. The school's 500-acre campus is situated on a working Vermont dairy farm that supports a rich curriculum in sustainability. As a progressive school, we think of our curriculum as everything we do. This includes course work, student-driven projects, our Work Program, Afternoons, Evening Arts, independent studies, and off-campus learning opportunities.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ashburnham Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
39 School Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978)827-7000 36.3 9-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413)498-3227 22 9-12
- Manchester Grades: 6-12 | 386 students
2108 River Road
Manchester, NH 03104
(603)669-4524 55.6 6-12
Putney is a wonderful and nurturing school with a fantastic arts program. It's been more than 10 years since I graduated and every passing year increases my understanding of what a special place Putney is and how blessed I was to attend. I received so much personal, academic, and creative support. I was given space and fantastic resources to discover myself as a person and an artist. I met lifelong friends and mentors. I was taught the value of hard work and time management. They met the superficial 'prep school' goal of helping me get into a top college. Going to Putney altered the course of my life in a wonderful way. I am forever in their debt.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - junk
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.