Cushing Academy, an independent, coeducational boarding school for students in grades 9-12 and post-graduate.
Founded in 1865, the Academy is home to students from over 28 countries and 26 states, with challenging and supportive programs in academics, arts and athletics.
The 162-acre campus is located in a bucolic setting approximately one hour west of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Top Ranked MA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 400 students
- Yearly Tuition: $65,950
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild learning differences, Language based learning differences
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 30%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Feb. 1 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
Total Sports Offered
- Cushing Academy, founded as a coeducational boarding school in 1865, exists for students, their academic growth and their personal development. We are dedicated to educating the mind, shaping the character, and nurturing the creativity of young men and women. In a community that is academically and culturally diverse, we challenge each individual, support excellence in every aspect of the learning process, and promote active participation in all areas of life and learning. We offer a demanding college preparatory curriculum, teach skills that build confidence, and instill values that endure.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bette Davis '26 - American actress of film, television, and theater
- Nate Berkus '90 - American interior designer, author, and television personality
- John Lilley '91 - Retired American professional ice hockey player and member of 1994 men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck '99 - King of Bhutan
- John Cena '95 - American professional wrestler, actor, rapper, and television presenter
- Tom Poti '96 - American former professional ice hockey player and member of the 2002 silver-medalist men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- Chris Bourque '04 - American professional ice hockey forward
- Erika Lawlor '05 - Member of the silver-medalist 2010 women's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
- Meghan Duggan '06 - American ice hockey forward and member of the 2010 and 2014 women's U.S. Olympic ice hockey teams (two silver medals) and captain of the 2018 U.S. women's gold-medal Olympic ice hockey team
- Broc Little '07 - American professional ice hockey forward in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) and member of the 2018 men's U.S. Olympic ice hockey team
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Cushing Academy cost?
Cushing Academy's tuition is approximately $65,950 for private students.
Who are famous alumni from Cushing Academy?
Cushing Academy famous alumni include: Bette Davis '26, Nate Berkus '90, John Lilley '91, His Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck '99, John Cena '95, Tom Poti '96, Chris Bourque '04, Erika Lawlor '05, Meghan Duggan '06 and Broc Little '07.
What sports does Cushing Academy offer?
Cushing Academy offers 19 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Figure Skating, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Weightlifting. Cushing Academy is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for most sports offered.
What is Cushing Academy's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Cushing Academy?
The application deadline for Cushing Academy is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Cushing Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Examining the Current State of Vouchers in Arizona
This comprehensive article explores the current state of voucher programs in Arizona, examining the relevant state laws, pros and cons, and their impact on education. Gain authoritative insights into the Empowerment Scholarship Accounts (ESA) program, equity concerns, and the ongoing debate surrounding educational choice in Arizona.
Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.