The Winchendon School
5.00 (3 reviews)
The Winchendon School Photo #4 - Bryan Perla '17 describing the invention he developed during ColLABs that took him to "Shark Tank" and a winning investment.
- The Winchendon School (TWS) is a coeducational, boarding and day school for grades 9-12 & PG. Located sixty-five miles (105 km) from Boston on over 300 acres in central Massachusetts, The Winchendon School sits in the shadow of Mount Monadnock.
- We believe attention is the key to student success.
- Our 285 students work collaboratively in small group settings.
- Our program is designed to allow every student and their learning style to be known and celebrated.
The Winchendon School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||285 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP Computer Science A, AP Environmental Science, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition, AP Physics 1, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP United States Government and Politics, AP United States History|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$65,725|
|Tuition Notes||Massachusetts Boarding CampusDay: $26,000 5-Day Boarding: $54,500 7-Day Boarding: $65,725 7-Day "In-Network" Boarding: $54,500 - (For families living within 25 miles of the NYC Campus - who choose the MA campus as boarding students)|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$20,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Toffey|
|Admissions Associate||Thomas Hamilton|
|Endowment Size||$30 million|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, WeightliftingAlpine Skiing, Badminton,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Equestrian, Figure Skating,
Freestyle Skiing, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Nordic Skiing, Snowboarding,
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||22 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Digital Media, Green Key Student Ambassadors, Journalism, Math Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Robotics, Service Learning, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Acappella Singers, Ceramics, Drawing, Jazz Ensemble, Painting, Photography, Theater Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Aerobics, Fun Fitness, Strength and Conditioning
- At The Winchendon School, we are guided by real-world learning through innovation, relevance, and inquiry. Classes are exciting and energetic; teachers reject lecturing, and instead design active learning environments where students lead discussions, debate questions, and draw their own conclusions. We won`t give students the answer; rather, we will guide them to find it on their own. Our Signature Programs; Global Dynamics, Service Learning, and ColLABs reflect our commitment to providing an education rich in innovation, relevance, and inquiry-driven. Our classrooms aren't confined to four walls. Students have two opportunities a year (for a total of five weeks) to pursue a graded, single focus immersive. These ColLABs (Collaborative Laboratories) encourage academic risks, self-reflection, and practical learning. Whether studying street art in New York City, working on an internship studying gravitational waves at LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory), or designing web animation, students are actively engaged in learning.Students connect studying to life beyond school, preparing them to be leaders and innovators. Backed by recent research, we know students learn better when they have strong connections with the people around them. The leaders of tomorrow must learn to connect with their communities locally and globally. The School`s Service Learning program engages all of our students in a mutually beneficial, sustainable, community-driven development program for students to find their own story and identity.Engaged learning begins with asking "Why?" The day is designed around the discovery of information and connecting to real-world issues. Global Dynamics, our two-credit course blends English, history, and regional cultural understanding. In Global Dynamics (we call it GD) students go beyond rote memorization of facts. Could you live on two dollars a day in Honduras? Why isn`t there enough food in the world, or is there? In GD, students explore and present on topics. Global Dynamics, Service Learning, and ColLABs give students a platform to tell a richer story about who they want to be and how they will impact the world.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ashburnham Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
39 School Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978)827-7000 3.5 9-12
- Worcester Grades: 6-12 | 609 students
81 Providence Street
Worcester, MA 01604
(508)459-5440 31.7 6-12
- Fitchburg Grades: 5-12 | 27 students
171 South St
Fitchburg, MA 01420
(978)343-7635 13.9 5-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413)498-3227 22.9 9-12
I graduate from The Winchendon School in 2017 and I still miss it! The Winch helped me reach my full potential as a student and as a well rounded person. I was able to get accepted into Boston College because of the academic success I had during my time at Winchendon and the incredible array of opportunities and resources available to me. I was able to travel to Nicaragua, Haiti, Paris, Canada, participate in the Service Learning Program, play three varsity sports and participate in two ColLAB experiences during my time at Winchendon. I also met some of the most diverse people from counties all over the world and was able to exchange perspectives and cultures.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - soph
Our children were given more opportunities and were taught how to learn smarter, thereby opening up more college possibilities. They would not be in their highly selective colleges now if they hadn't gone to The Winchendon School.
- Posted by Parent - Devereaux French
My son loved this school, he graduated May of 2017 after getting into his dream college as a Computer Engineering major. The Robotics team, Model UN, and theater programs all helped him gain confidence and the skills needed for entry into a competitive college. Thank you, Winch!
- Posted by Parent - Martha D.
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.