Kimball Union Academy
- Kimball Union draws from 200 years of experience to provide a 21st century curriculum which meets students where they are academically and prepares them for achievement in college and life.
- Guided by consistent and engaged leadership, KUA inspires "mastery, creativity, responsibility, and leadership" in a friendly, warm, holistic environment on its 1300-acre campus in Meriden, NH.
- Our extraordinary faculty delivers academic excellence from supported learning to advanced concentrations in specific academic areas.
- Kimball Union is often defined by our positive and inclusive community, which is advanced by our comprehensive Student Life program. This highlights a (purposeful) focus on leadership, character building, and ethics in the classrooms, dorms, studios, and playing fields.
- Signature Programs include varsity athletics; visual and performing arts; STEM, Global, and Art Scholar programs; Capstone projects; Fire Brigade; and sustainable farming. They provide students with opportunities to take their learning beyond the classroom.
- Some of the most experienced college division 1 level coaches in New England provide excellent training from skills development to the highest levels of competition while reinforcing our ideals of "the scholar-athlete" and have lead our alumni to compete professionally in the NFL, NHL, and Olympic Games.
- Virtual Event - Wed., September 23, 2020 5:30pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., October 13, 2020 8:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., October 20, 2020 7:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Sat., November 14, 2020 9:30am (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Sat., November 14, 2020 1:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Mon., November 16, 2020 7:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., December 05, 2020 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., December 09, 2020 11:00am (EDT) - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., December 12, 2020 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., December 16, 2020 8:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., December 19, 2020 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., January 09, 2021 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Tue., January 19, 2021 8:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Thu., January 21, 2021 4:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Fri., January 29, 2021 7:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- ...read more
Kimball Union Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in New Hampshire for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||The Gosselin Learning Center|
|Total Students||340 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||20 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Human Geography, Latin: Literature, Latin: Vergil, Physics B, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. History, World History|
|Average SAT score||1350|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$66,700|
|Tuition Notes||Day $42400|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$28,635|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Lindsey Ratliff|
|Endowment Size||$59.9 million|
|Total Sports Offered||21 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and FieldAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Freestyle Skiing, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Nordic Skiing, Rugby,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||38 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Camping, Community Service, Diversity Club, Dog Walking Club, Dorm Proctors, Environmental Club, Fire Brigade, Foreign Language Clubs, Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Honor Council, Literary Magazine, Math Club, Model UN, Newspaper, Outing Club (canoeing, hiking, etc), Peer Tutoring, Relay Diversity, Residential Proctor, School Tour Guides, Stem Club, Student Government, The Claw - Student Newspaper, The Penny Fellowship - Community Service, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance, Photography, Rock Ensemble, Theater Activity, Winter Musical Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing (recreational), Equestrian, Fitness Training, Instructional Golf, Instructional Tennis, Pottery Activity, Recreational Skiing, Strength and Conditioning
- Integrated college advising system prepares students throughout their KUA career to achieve their highest potential and attend highly competitive schools.
- Through our multi-layered learning center program, our faculty provides a range of expertise and support to students at all levels of performance.
- Facilities include a modern campus center, a beautiful arts center, SMART classrooms with state-of-the-art technology, an environmental science center and greenhouse, athletic center and hockey arena, indoor and outdoor turf fields, fitness center, tennis courts, library, and technology labs.
- Kimball Union`s highly qualified and dedicated faculty is committed to serving our students and families. Our faculty members get to know each individual student in the classroom, as dorm parents, coaches, and mentors. These close relationships and the individual growth our students experience during their time here are hallmarks of a Kimball Union education.
- Nestled in the intellectually vibrant Upper Valley in close proximity to Dartmouth College, Kimball Union benefits from world-class arts, entertainment, athletic, and cultural events that are staples of the community.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Manchester Grades: 6-12 | 386 students
2108 River Road
Manchester, NH 03104
(603) 669-4524 53.5 6-12
- Ashburnham Grades: 9-12 | 400 students
39 School Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
(978) 827-7000 61.1 9-12
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.