Curtis Blake Day School
- The Curtis Blake Day School of the Children`s Study Home is a private special education day school that provides instruction to students with language based learning disabilities.All aspects of the curriculum focus on understanding language and effectively communicating one`s knowledge.Language intervention, integrated throughout the day, is a systematic collaboration between our certified teachers, many of whom are reading specialists, and our speech-language pathologists.
- The goal of our unique curriculum, which integrates multiple methodologies, is the internalization and independent application of strategies.
- Students learn to read by reading, to write by writing, to use language through discourse, and to understand mathematical concepts through extensive use of manipulatives and problem solving approaches.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-9|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||23 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$42,562|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is set by the Operational Services Division of the state of Massachusetts|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
|Admissions Director||Jennifer Morrisino|
Our curriculum integrates multiple strategies that have proven highly successful!
- Our decoding strategy incorporates a unique combination of the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program (LiPS) and Benchmark Word Identification approaches, while symbol imagery instruction enhances rapid reading, spelling, and self-correction.
- Comprehension Strategies Instruction (CSI) class targets strategies proven to be effective in fostering comprehension. Vocabulary instruction focuses on words that provide the greatest impact on expanding word knowledge. Emphasis is placed on listening, speaking, reading and writing new vocabulary in authentic contexts.
- The Story Grammar Marker and ThemeMaker & Research Writer tools facilitate language development at the discourse level. Both narrative and expository discourse are targeted. These tools are used extensively throughout the content areas of language and literature, science and social studies.
Licensed reading and special education teachers provide one-on-one instruction to develop close and attentive reading utilizing high-quality children`s literature and informational text. The reading session skill building includes:
- Sentence Structure
In addition, students receive instruction in science and social studies as outlined in the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks Common Core State Standards. In addition to the core curriculum, Social Thinking instruction facilitates students` understanding of the unwritten social expectancies necessary for class and peer interactions. This curriculum is designed to facilitate thinking strategies that must occur prior to social interactions. We also employ a part time School Adjustment Counselor to address the multiple issues faced by our diverse population of students as needed. All students receive art, music and physical education instruction.
Referrals to the Curtis Blake Day School are accepted from the student `s Director of Special Education or, in the case of private payment, the student`s parent/ guardian. Parents, guardians, students, and advocates are encouraged to speak to our staff and to observe our program in action. We are proud of our curriculum and the compassionate and dedicated professionals who implement it.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Westfield Grades: 1-12 | 62 students
533 North Rd
Westfield, MA 01085
(413) 562-9500 13.2 1-12
- West Springfield Grades: Inquire with school | 38 students
511 Main St
West Springfield, MA 01089
(413) 785-5462 5.9 Inquire with school
- West Hartford Grades: 1-12 | 43 students
840 North Main St.
West Hartford, CT 06117
(860) 236-2049 25.8 1-12
- Springfield Grades: PK-8 | 19 students
797 State St
Springfield, MA 01109
(413) 731-2220 3.6 PK-8
what a difference a school can make in a childs academic success. My son has found a place where he can finally learn and do well.The Curtis Blake school is terrific.
- Posted by Parent - rleue