De Sales High School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (502) 368-6519
- DeSales is a self-sufficient Archdiocesan-sponsored Catholic high school for boys, serving families in and around the Louisville area.
- DeSales is a learning community made up of its students and their families; its faculty, staff and administration; its alumni; and, community supporters.
- The mission of St. Francis DeSales High School is to provide each student a unique learning experience that daily recognizes his God-given dignity; promotes his spiritual, academic and personal growth; guides him to more fully live a Christian values-based life; challenges him to achieve high standards in pursuit of ever higher goals; and instills confidence in his ability to successfully face the future.
- The DeSales learning community seeks to nurture the unique talents and abilities of its members by providing a variety of learning experiences both in and out of the classroom.
- It sets standards in all areas and holds each member accountable for meeting these standards.
- It continues to be an educational leader by encouraging and promoting best practice and by proactively addressing the ever-changing needs of the community.
- DeSales Prepares for Governor's Scholars Program - 10/10/2019 - Individualized education at DeSales affords opportunities to provide specialized attention to students at all levels, including students who are candidates for the Governor`s Scholars Program. Established in 1983, the Governor`s ...moreScholars Program (GSP) strives to enhance Kentucky's next generation of civic and economic leaders through a five week summer residential program that immerses an incoming senior in a college experience. Assistant Principal Mr. Aaron Gottbrath `06 leads the charge to prepare interested students at DeSales for this summer program. "GSP provides high-achieving high school students with a valuable experience. They are exposed to new people, ideas, and cultures while given the freedom of living in a college dorm and taking care of themselves," said Mr. Gottbrath. One component of the selection process includes an evaluation of the student`s volunteer experience. "Throughout the year, students are involved in community-focused activities from tutoring at-risk youth to volunteering in hospitals and soup kitchens. As an applicant to the Governor`s Scholars Program, our leadership-focused volunteer program allows DeSales students to stand out in a way that complements their academic success," continued Gottbrath. On the state-wide level, more than 2,000 students apply for the Governor`s Scholars Program each year, but only 1,000 are selected in this highly competitive program that includes Kentucky`s best and brightest. However, first, the student must make it through a selection process at the district level. At DeSales, the process begins in September with a parent meeting for all interested junior, sophomore, and freshmen families. Applications are released in September and rate students in the categories of academics, awards, extracurricular activities and work experience, recommendations, and writing. Applicants meet in November to peer edit their essays before the December final draft deadline. Over the past three years, 13 of the 19 students who have competed at the Archdiocesan level have been accepted to the state program. hide
- DeSales Granted STEM School Certification - 07/01/2018 - DeSales High School has earned the coveted status as a STEM certified school following a rigorous, yearlong review by AdvancED, an organization affiliated with the Southern Association of Colleges and ...moreSchools (SACS).The designation makes DeSales only the second school overall in Kentucky to complete the certification process, and the only school in the state serving boys.AdvancED describes STEM Certification as "a mark of excellence that provides institutions a research-based framework and criteria for awareness, continuous improvement and assessment of the quality, rigor and substance of their STEM educational program."The review team made note of DeSales` collaborative style of teaching, its community outreach projects with Louisville Metro Public Works, Hexion Chemical, and the Kentucky Science Center, and its long-standing dedication to the use of technology in the classroom. In 2004, DeSales was the first high school in the area to launch a 1:1 technology device program, equipping every student and teacher with an IBM Thinkpad."Because we had spent time examining the evidence provided prior to the on-site visit, we expected to see some great things happening at DeSales," said Dr. David Barnett, AdvancED Lead Evaluator. "We were not disappointed. As the team interviewed students, teachers, parents, and other stakeholders it became apparent that there were special and significant things happening at DeSales. Observations in the classroom verified that students were involved in identifying and solving real-world problems, with their teachers providing the guidance and support needed to tackle inquiry-based learning."The leaders and educators at DeSales are to be commended for envisioning an environment where students are not just preparing for success at the next level, they`re experiencing that success through partnerships with a variety of external stakeholders."Principal Anastasia Quirk praised the faculty for their commitment to incorporate STEM throughout the curriculum and shared that plans are already underway to extend the school`s STEM outreach further."For us, STEM school certification not only recognizes and affirms the way we are affecting 21st Century learning, but it also raises our awareness about how we can best provide young men the tools they need to succeed at the next level. Ongoing dialogue with new community partners will help us determine how we can engage our students in unique opportunities that challenge them in a variety of cross-disciplinary ways."Our STEM approach is formalized in our strategic technology plan, which incorporates all students in STEM learning and emphasizes continuous STEM develop at the faculty level. It is truly a whole-school approach."Read more about AdvancED STEM Certification at http://www.advanc-ed.org/services/stem-certification. hide
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Most|
|Total Students||319 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 9%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, tie, dress shirt, polo shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Justin Lewis|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingArchery, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Team, Ambassadors Club, CABO, Chemistry Club, Chess Club, Environmental Club, Key Club, KUNA, Math Team, National Honor Society, Peer Leaders, Student Government, Technology Leaders, Yearbook Club
- DeSales is a self-sufficient Archdiocesan-sponsored Catholic high school for boys, serving families in and around the Louisville area. DeSales is a learning community made up of its students and their families; its faculty, staff and administration; its alumni; and, community supporters. The mission of St. Francis DeSales High School is to provide each student a unique learning experience that daily recognizes his God-given dignity; promotes his spiritual, academic and personal growth; guides him to more fully live a Christian values-based life; challenges him to achieve high standards in pursuit of ever higher goals; and instills confidence in his ability to successfully face the future. The DeSales learning community seeks to nurture the unique talents and abilities of its members by providing a variety of learning experiences both in and out of the classroom. It sets standards in all areas and holds each member accountable for meeting these standards. It continues to be an educational leader by encouraging and promoting best practice and by proactively addressing the ever-changing needs of the community.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Louisville Grades: 9-12 | 1346 students
1609 Poplar Level Rd
Louisville, KY 40217
(502) 637-4712 4.7 9-12
- Louisville Grades: 9-12 | 1218 students
4011 Shelbyville Road
Louisville, KY 40207
(502) 893-7625 9.1 9-12
I had an excellent experience at DeSales. I was academically and socially prepared for college and still use the life lessons I learned in high school today. A wonderful school and community.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Justin
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?