- Fay School is a day and boarding school for students in Kindergarten through grade nine.
- While the School has grown and evolved since its founding in 1866, our central purpose has remained constant: we provide our students with the foundation for a meaningful life.
- Fay's broad and challenging program empowers students to discover their talents, develop their intellectual abilities, establish essential academic skills and knowledge, and define their moral character - all essential to living a life of meaning and making a positive difference in the world.
- Our community is built on five core values: Academic Excellence, Honorable Conduct, Dedicated Service, Earnest Effort, and Wellness of Mind, Body, and Spirit.
- Our school motto, Poteris Modo Velis ("You can if you will") highlights our community's emphasis on determination, effort, and resilience.
Upcoming Events and News
Fay School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-9|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15 / Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Day Students $25,690 - $43,750, Domestic Boarding Students (7-Day) $67,690 - $71,330, Domestic Boarding Students (5-Day) $60,860 - $64,500, International Boarding Students $70,830 - $74,470, International Boarding Students - ELP $74,470 - $78,110Many private schools charge additional fees on top of tuition. At Fay, comprehensive tuition includes all fees for books and supplies, lunch and snacks, local field trips, programmatic trips, and athletics.Boarding tuition also includes housing, 24/7 supervision, daily breakfast and dinner, meals on weekends, laundry, and evening and weekend activities and trips.For international boarding students, tuition also includes fees for administering and supporting students and families whose residence is outside the United States.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Beth Whitney|
|Endowment Size||$54 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Chess Club, Contest Math, Debate Club, Literary Magazine, Newspaper, Quilting, Robotics Team, Student Government, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Outdoor Adventure, Skiing, Tennis
- Fay School's 66-acre campus is located in Southborough, MA, just 25 miles west of Boston. Our community includes 475 students in Kindergarten through grade nine. Of those, 150 students are boarders who come from across the United States and 24 countries. Each year, our day students come from over 40 surrounding towns in MA. We are proud of our authentically diverse, multicultural, and inclusive community.
- Fay is recognized around the world for its superior educational program, and our graduates are accepted to top secondary schools, including Phillips Exeter Academy, Phillips Academy Andover, Deerfield Academy, and Groton School (click here for the complete list). In addition to the core courses of mathematics, science, English, and history, students take art, music, and world languages. Students also focus on the design thinking process with courses in our 3,000 square-foot Innovation Lab.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Belmont Grades: PK-8
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617)484-3078 18.1 PK-8
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 390 students
166 Main Street
Concord, MA 01742
(978)402-2250 13.4 9-12
My son has attended Fay School since first grade. We live in a town where the public schools are excellent, but I felt his interest in learning was fading and the distractions were many in those large classrooms. Upon entering Fay, that spark for learning returned. There was a consistency between what we wanted for him in a classroom/educational setting and what the school expected of him. His teachers through the years have reminded me of favorite professors, with their passion for educating the whole child, bringing challenging subjects to life in a fun way, really seeing my child's strengths and helping him grow in the areas that were weaker. Fay is more than just a private school, it really is a warm, welcoming community that has built an incredible foundation for my son that will last him a lifetime.
- Posted by Parent - Mom
As an alum of Fay, I can say that my experiences there have shaped my life forever, and provided me with so many positive memories. During the years that I spent at Fay, I became a more confident student, person and friend. I have a better understanding of the world today because of what I learned through community service, and the education I received. I learned how to manage my time, and homework at an early age, and this has significantly helped me throughout my life so far. The countless leadership opportunities allowed me to become very involved and gave me responsibilities at a young age. The faculty, staff, and coaches at Fay provide as a strong influence on the students, as they are always willing to help, give feedback, and support your endeavors. I still remain in contact with some, and I have never encountered such caring teachers at any other school. Even though I was a day student, Fay became my home away from home, because I created friendships, connections, and relationships that will last a lifetime. I am happy that I came to Fay, but my family and I wish we had made the switch earlier. I recommend thinking about Fay for students who are willing to work hard, and for families who want to be involved in their school, and love traditions that junior boarding schools have to offer!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - fay alum
Fay School has provided a rigorous and supportive environment. In addition to the academic challenge, students are encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities and sports. As parents, we have been amazed at the level of support and communication from each of our daughter's teachers. We couldn't be happier with our choice of schools.
- Posted by Parent - Leslie
I am a Fay alum who graduated in 2007, and I had an extremely rewarding experience at Fay as a student. Coming from South Korea, there were inherent cultural barriers that I had to overcome, and I thank all the Fay faculty/staff who helped me to get to where I am right now. They supported my intellectual curiosity, emphasized the importance of diversity in today`s world, and reminded us that we should always strive to be global leaders.Fay was good at providing students with unique opportunities to gain cultural insights that we could not have gotten elsewhere. I also remember Fay as an avid supporter of philanthropy, where there were numerous service learning projects for students to participate in. I specifically remember one project where the entire school participated in repainting and decorating a school in Worcester.One aspect about Fay that I cherish the most is that Fay embraces every member of the community as if we were one big family. Born as an only child, my siblings are Fay friends and teachers, and Steward Dorm became my second home. I am grateful for the unconditional love that Fay has shown for me and feel very proud to be a Fay alum.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - JK
I have three very different children, and they have all thrived at Fay. The teachers in the Upper school are incredible and they form strong connections with their students. The visual and performing arts are second to none and add so much to the life of the school! The traditions such as the speech competition, open mic nights, and the spring musical are truly memorable. The placement process is incredible and the guidance and support through this important time is so helpful... and gets results!
- Posted by Parent - Mom of three
Immediately after my oldest daughter enrolled at Fay several years ago, her "spark" returned (it had gone out during her years in public school). Her younger brother now attends too. Both children love Fay, love school, and love learning. Their teachers are intelligent, professional, friendly, and encouraging, and their classes are stimulating and challenging. They are truly eager to get to school each day, and they are full of exciting stories from school every night. I appreciate that my children are getting a first-rate academic education, arts education, service learning education, athletics education, and character education -- all while having a fun childhood experience with their friends at Fay. I am very grateful to Fay School. My kids are learning that they have unlimited potential, and that they can achieve anything. As a parent, I could not be more satisfied.
- Posted by Parent - 1354j