The Rivers School
- The Rivers School is a coeducational, college preparatory day school currently for students in grades 6 through 12.
- Rivers challenges students to attain their highest levels of excellence in academics, arts, and athletics.
- We set high standards and expect students to participate actively in their learning.
- We cultivate a caring, respectful, and collaborative environment that encourages student performance, including demonstration of logical thought, informed and articulate voice, creative vision, and strong character.
- Rivers is dedicated to preparing its students for leadership in a world that needs their talents, imagination, intellect, and compassion.
The Rivers School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||514 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||91 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||19 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1400|
|Average ACT score||33|
|Average Percentile SSAT||78%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No ripped clothing or athletic attire)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$53,450|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Gillian Lloyd|
|Admissions Associate||Sabrina Particelli|
|Endowment Size||$29 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
A Capella Group, Community Service Club, DECA, Diversity Club, Environmental Action Club, Fan Zone, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Middle School Book Club, Model United Nations/Model Congress, Philosophy Club, Red Key, Rivers Givers, Robotics Team, School Council, Service Council, Speech & Debate Club, Student Advisors, Teaching Assistants, Technology Club, The Current (literary magazine), The Forum, The Nonesuch (yearbook), The Rivers Edge (newspaper)
Arts and Music Programs:
- At The Rivers School in Weston, "Excellence with Humanity" is the cornerstone of its educational philosophy. This co-educational college preparatory day school for grades six through 12 maximizes the potential of its young people by challenging them as scholars, artists, athletes, and global citizens. Rivers` Upper School curriculum ranges from traditional honors and AP courses to interdisciplinary classes like ethics and global environmental history, while the Middle School`s innovative curriculum and culture includes a nationally recognized leadership program. Award-winning arts programs offer a rich array of opportunities in the studios, on stage, or in vocal, jazz, and classical ensembles. Students also participate in co-curricular activities such as robotics, Model UN, publications, or science summer internships. Rivers fields 64 varsity and sub-varsity athletic teams in 16 different sports. Over the past 10 years, varsity teams have won 30 ISL and New England championships.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Dedham Grades: 7-12 | 590 students
10 Campus Drive
Dedham, MA 02026
(781) 326-3700 8.3 7-12
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 395 students
166 Main Street
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 402-2250 9.6 9-12
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 410 students
1400 Lowell Road
Concord, MA 01742
(978) 371-6524 12.1 9-12
- Braintree Grades: 6-12 | 688 students
745 Washington Street
Braintree, MA 02184
(781) 843-3580 18.3 6-12
This is my first year at Rivers and I really have loved the school. The workload is definitely a lot but the teachers go out of the way to make sure you understand. Rivers also has a very strong community and great sports teams and an awesome music program.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Wyatt
I have a daughter who graduated from Rivers and a son who just started and I can't say enough about the quality of the faculty, the diversity of the school's programs and the excellent sense of community. My kids are very different (the oldest is more into the arts, music, and clubs and the other into sports) and Rivers has been a great fit for each of them. The academics are very challenging but at the same time the teachers make the kids want to learn and push themselves. Great school!
- Posted by Parent - Peter
We have been very impressed by the teachers at the school. They are substantive and encourage rigor, but they're also extremely available and helpful and want the students to do their best. The school has a number of great electives and interdisciplinary programs and very thoughtful pedagogy. The school is also making real efforts in the realms of diversity and inclusion.
- Posted by Parent - Colleen