Buckingham Browne & Nichols School
- Buckingham Browne & Nichols School is an independent, co-educational day school of 1000 students in Cambridge, Massachusetts, educating bright and engaged students from pre-kindergarten (called Beginners) through twelfth grade.
- BB&N was founded in 1974 from the merger of two schools, Browne & Nichols School and the Buckingham School.
- The School occupies four campuses; a Lower School on Buckingham Street, a Middle School on Sparks Street, an Upper School on Gerry`s Landing Road, and an office building on Belmont Street.
- BB&N provides a broad and challenging academic program along with opportunities for personal growth outside the classroom.
- The working relationships between students and faculty are based on trust and mutual respect, and are enhanced by open and frank communication.
- Certain personal qualities are particularly appropriate at BB&N: strong verbal skills, a commitment to intellectual pursuits, a capacity to think and act independently, a well-directed use of abilities and talents, a genuine interest in diverse types of people, and a desire to contribute to the school community.
- The School has produced three of the 27 Presidential Scholars from Massachusetts since the inception of the program in 1964 and is a member of the G20 Schools group and the Round Square global education association. BB&N includes six Rhodes Scholars among its graduates.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1015 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||156 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition Costs 2018-19 Beginners to Grade 3 - $34,120 Grades 4 and 5 - $37,960 Grade 6 - $44,560 Grades 7 nd 8 - $47,100 Grades 9 to 12 - $47,600|
|Admissions Director||Geordie Mitchell|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Pratt|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Fencing, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Affinity Lunch, Affinity Lunch. MS: Science Club, Chamber Music, Chorus, Community Council, Community Service, Jazz Band, Literary Group, LS Chess club, LS Orchestra, One World club, Players (Improv group, Spark newspaper|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 980 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617)898-1798 8.7 K-12
- Belmont Grades: 7-12 | 460 students
350 Prospect Street
Belmont, MA 02478
(617)993-5220 3.3 7-12
- Dedham Grades: 7-12 | 590 students
10 Campus Drive
Dedham, MA 02026
(781)326-3700 8 7-12
Nearby Homes for Sale
Every private school parent is encouraged to help the school in whatever way he can. Here are some things you can do to make a contribution to your school.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.