Buckingham Browne & Nichols School
Tel: (617) 547-6100
- Buckingham Browne & Nichols School is an independent, co-educational day school of 1000 students in Cambridge, Massachusetts, educating bright and engaged students from pre-kindergarten (called Beginners) through twelfth grade.
- BB&N was founded in 1974 from the merger of two schools, Browne & Nichols School and the Buckingham School.
- The School occupies four campuses; a Lower School on Buckingham Street, a Middle School on Sparks Street, an Upper School on Gerry`s Landing Road, and an office building on Belmont Street.
- BB&N provides a broad and challenging academic program along with opportunities for personal growth outside the classroom.
- The working relationships between students and faculty are based on trust and mutual respect, and are enhanced by open and frank communication.
- Certain personal qualities are particularly appropriate at BB&N: strong verbal skills, a commitment to intellectual pursuits, a capacity to think and act independently, a well-directed use of abilities and talents, a genuine interest in diverse types of people, and a desire to contribute to the school community.
- The School has produced three of the 27 Presidential Scholars from Massachusetts since the inception of the program in 1964 and is a member of the G20 Schools group and the Round Square global education association. BB&N includes six Rhodes Scholars among its graduates.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1,015 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||156 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition Costs 2018-19 Beginners to Grade 3 - $34,120 Grades 4 and 5 - $37,960 Grade 6 - $44,560 Grades 7 nd 8 - $47,100 Grades 9 to 12 - $47,600|
|Admissions Director||Geordie Mitchell|
|Admissions Associate||Amy Pratt|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Fencing, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Affinity Lunch, Affinity Lunch. MS: Science Club, Chamber Music, Chorus, Community Council, Community Service, Jazz Band, Literary Group, LS Chess club, LS Orchestra, One World club, Players (Improv group, Spark newspaper|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 1020 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617) 898-1798 8.7 K-12
- Dedham Grades: 7-12 | 590 students
10 Campus Drive
Dedham, MA 02026
(781) 326-3700 8 7-12
- Belmont Grades: 7-12 | 460 students
350 Prospect Street
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 993-5220 3.3 7-12
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?