Shady Hill School
- Shady Hill is a coeducational Pre-K through 8th Grade day school on 11 acres in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Our unique village-style campus is a collection of child-scaled buildings set around courtyards and greens with a web of connecting pathways, play spaces, athletic fields, and wildlife areas.
- Founded in 1915 on the back porch of Harvard Professor Ernest Hocking and his wife, Agnes Hocking, the goal was for children to experience an education enriched by the same kind of open-mindedness, inquiry, intellectual rigor, and passion for learning that they valued in their own experiences.
- Today, the school continues to strike a balance between innovation and tradition, providing a fundamentally different approach to teaching and learning.
- The curriculum is built around Central Subject-a year-long, in-depth study of a people, period of history, an idea or movement-and stresses the interrelationships of many disciplines and the use of original sources.
- Each grade's Central Subject has been purposefully designed around the developmental stage of that particular age to captivate and challenge students.
- Through exploration and discovery, rigorous and engaging activities, the mastery of skills, purposeful dialogue and meticulous guidance, our students develop into independent, critical thinkers and life-long learners.
- Our beliefs in a diverse and inclusive community, cooperation and collaboration, self reflection, and individual responsibility help students grow into confident, ethical citizens of the school and the world beyond.
Shady Hill School places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||536 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10|
|Tuition Notes||2020-2021 tuition ranges from $28,550 for Beginners to $42,850 for Grade 8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Sarah Wooten|
|Admissions Associate||Deanna Connor|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Fencing, Field Hockey,
Flag Football, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
- In 2016 Shady Hill opened a new state-of-the-art STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) Center, the Hub, which houses a makerspace, fabrication lab, math classrooms, science labs, and break out spaces.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-6100 0.1 PK-12
- Belmont Grades: PK-8
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 484-3078 3 PK-8