Shady Hill School
- Top Ranked MA School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 524 students
- Acceptance rate: 18%
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 10
- Source: Verified school update
Shady Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Shady Hill is a coeducational Pre-K through 8th Grade day school on 11 acres in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Our unique village-style campus is a collection of child-scaled buildings set around courtyards and greens with a web of connecting pathways, play spaces, athletic fields, and wildlife areas.
- Founded in 1915 on the back porch of Harvard Professor Ernest Hocking and his wife, Agnes Hocking, the goal was for children to experience an education enriched by the same kind of open-mindedness, inquiry, intellectual rigor, and passion for learning that they valued in their own experiences.
- Today, the school continues to strike a balance between innovation and tradition, providing a fundamentally different approach to teaching and learning.
- The curriculum is built around Central Subject-a year-long, in-depth study of a people, period of history, an idea or movement-and stresses the interrelationships of many disciplines and the use of original sources. Each grade's Central Subject has been purposefully designed around the developmental stage of that particular age to captivate and challenge students.
- Through exploration and discovery, rigorous and engaging activities, the mastery of skills, purposeful dialogue and meticulous guidance, our students develop into independent, critical thinkers and life-long learners.
- Our beliefs in a diverse and inclusive community, cooperation and collaboration, self reflection, and individual responsibility help students grow into confident, ethical citizens of the school and the world beyond.
- In 2016 Shady Hill opened a new state-of-the-art STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) Center, the Hub, which houses a makerspace, fabrication lab, math classrooms, science labs, and break out spaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are Shady Hill School often compared to?
Shady Hill Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Buckingham Browne & Nichols School by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Shady Hill School?
The acceptance rate of Shady Hill School is 18%, which is lower than the national average of 71%. Shady Hill School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Massachusetts with low acceptance rates.
What sports does Shady Hill School offer?
Shady Hill School offers 12 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball.
What is Shady Hill School's ranking?
Shady Hill School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for: Lowest average acceptance rates, Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Largest student body and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for Shady Hill School?
The application deadline for Shady Hill School is Jan. 10.
Endorse Shady Hill School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards