Fayerweather Street School
- Fayerweather Street School is an independent, progressive school that provides a child-centered approach to learning from PreKindergarten through 8th grade.
- Fayerweather educates children to become self-confident and self-directed learners, critical and reflective thinkers, explorers of ideas, and risk-takers.
- We are respectful of individual learning styles. Our integrated and thematic curriculum is designed to spark questions and concerns about the world while providing a structure in which strong academic skills are developed.
- Fayerweather supports educational research, professional development, and engagement in community action.
- Fayerweather strives to build and sustain a community with varied backgrounds of race, religion, ethnicity, and sexual orientation.
- We are committed to preparing students to engage in an interdependent and diverse world.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||200 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $22,000-$35,000 for the 2019 - 2020 school year.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Karina Davis|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Soccer,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Build It Yourself/ Lego Robotics, Math Olympiad, Young Scientists Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Afterschool Band, Chorus, Drama, Glee Club, Middle School Play, Private Music Lessons
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Basketball Club, Parkour, Soccer Club
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cambridge Grades: PK-8 | 536 students
178 Coolidge Hill
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 520-5200 1.5 PK-8
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-6100 1.6 PK-12
- Belmont Grades: PK-8
55 Day School Lane
Belmont, MA 02478
(617) 484-3078 1.6 PK-8
Fayerweather Street School is able to achieve the best of both child-centered yet rigorous academics and a supportive social environment that values diversity and social justice. It's a small school that offers a big variety of offerings in the arts, academics, and community engagement. This is my child's 4th year attending the school and our family couldn't be happier.
- Posted by Parent - bohre
I chose Fayerweather because I wanted to kindle my son's love for learning, creative thinking, and global citizenship. At FSS, the teachers get to know each child and leverage their interests and passions. The Shakespeare play, the Colonial Fair, and the cities project are just a few examples of the engaging experiential approach to learning at Fayerweather. The community is diverse (nearly 40% are families of color and about 30% receive tuition assistance). I've have made many good friends among the close-knit parent community. I couldn't be more pleased with the progress my son has made at FSS.
- Posted by Parent - c4woo