First United Methodist Kindergarten & Daycare
Tel: (256) 249-2300
- First united Methodist kindergarten program had kicked off its 60th year on August 6th, 2007.
- The program was started in 1947 when Rev. Dan Whitsett was just starting his ministry in Sylacauga.
- There have been thousands of girls and boys whose lives have been enriched by the dedication and hard work of many wonderful teachers.
- Sylacauga Cooperative School for Children Under Six sponsored by the First Methodist Church opened under the direction of Mrs. Cloyd Smith as a kindergarten and first grade in 1947.
- The staff was kept to a minimum as parents who had a child in the school were required to volunteer a set number of hours per month as part of their tuition.
- The Brown family donated a bus and children were picked up and returned home after school.
- Lunch was prepared daily by the Kindergarten cook. The philosophy of First united Methodist kindergarten is the parable of the Good Samaritan Jesus says a person keeps the commandment to love God and neighbor by ministering to his neighbor.
- When you read the context in which that parable was first given, you see that Jesus was responding to a question from a teacher of the Law asking about who his neighbor was.
- Like many of us, he was entangled in the interpretation of the commandment to love God and neighbor rather than focusing on its implementation.
- Belief will express itself in ministry. Authentic faith in Jesus will cause us to respond to human hurts and hopes as he did.
- Such ministry cannot be done from a distance. Operation Inasmuch challenges our children to get "up close and personal" with their involvement in missions.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||122 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||1 teacher|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baxley Grades: K-10 | 42 students
211 Knollwood Lane
Baxley, GA 31515
(256) 249-4750 1.6 K-10
- Columbiana Grades: PK-12 | 196 students
24975 Highway 25
Columbiana, AL 35051
(205) 669-7777 19.4 PK-12
- Talladega Grades: 1-12 | 38 students
905 Ashland Hwy
Talladega, AL 35160
(256) 362-4314 20.4 1-12
- Alexander City Grades: K | 11 students
210 South Rd
Alexander City, AL 35010
(256) 234-2089 21.7 K
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?