Floris UMC Preschool
Tel: (703) 793-0749
Floris UMC Preschool offers a program that fosters the wholesome development of each individual child.
Using basic principles of early childhood and Christian education we provide a safe, friendly environment where children experience and learn love and acceptance.
Much of this is accomplished through play situations and social interaction.
Close rapport between parents and teachers allow the child to develop to his/her potential and satisfy his/her basic needs, including social, emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual growth.
Our program will accept children without regard to race, color, creed or religion.Floris UMC Preschool is operated as an outreach program of Floris United Methodist Church and is subject to all church policies.
Our mission at Floris UMC Preschool is to build a Christian foundation for lifelong learning.
Through positive experiences and Christian values, the children will appreciate God’s love, which will stay with them throughout their lives.
Children of all faiths are accepted into the program. Staff is hired on an equal opportunity basis.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-Prekindergarten|
|Total Students||170 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Debbie Lawler|
- Classes Offered We offer a mix of classes in both mornings and afternoons.
- Staff Our staff members are chosen based on their experience and education in the field of early childhood education. Our preschool teachers all have a college degree or a combination of a degree and extensive work experience in the field of Early Childhood Education. Continuing education is required for all employees to keep up to date on new ideas and changes in the field. During the hiring process we look for someone who exhibits warmth and understanding of young children.
- Ratios 2's: 10-12 children to 2 adults
- 3's: 14 children to 2 adults
- 4's: 16 children to 2 adults
- Licensing The Floris UMC Preschool is licensed through the State Social Services.
- Admittance Policy Our program will admit children of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, program, and activities generally accorded to children at the school. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of our educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.
- Learning Through Play We believe that play is an effective method of learning. Play is a child's way of exploring, experimenting and learning cooperative behavior. The teachers and assistants utilize play situations to provide beginnings in language, science, social studies, music and creative arts. The program is developed through topics such as nature, community helpers and cooking, as well as through stories and discussions. Each child is recognized as a productive individual as he/she develops self-confidence and feelings of self-worth.
- Special Enrichment Classes The classes have Chapel and music each week in addition to the classroom activities. The 4-year-old classes also explore science on a weekly basis through our science program.
A search for a teaching job in the midst of a severe recession takes much longer than it does in good economic times. Here's how to handle this situation.
Marketing yourself in tough times requires attention to details. Here are some tips to help you achieve success.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.