Greensboro Day School
- Enrolling students in Preschool age 3 through 12th grade, Greensboro Day School is one of the largest nonsectarian independent schools in the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina, and is known throughout the nation for its excellence in education.
- Since 1970, our success has been defined by our challenging academic program, our emphasison honor and values and our dedication to each individual child and family.
- Today we are more committed than ever to developing the intellectual, ethical, and interpersonal foundations students need to become constructive contributors to the world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||806 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|Advanced Courses||American History, Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin: Vergil, Physics C, Physics E&M, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics,|
|Average SAT score||1320|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress code )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Randy Doss|
|Admissions Associate||Elizabeth Lancaster|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Band, Cum Laude Society, Diversity Club, Gardening, Honor Board, Mandarin Chinese, Moot Court, National Honor Society, Operation Smile, Student Council, Student Philanthropy Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Chorus, Drama, Piano, Pottery, StageCraft, Strings
- Greensboro Day School opened its doors in 1970, the result of the dreams and hard work of dozens of parents who challenged themselves to build the best education possible for their childrenand for generations of children to come. Few of those parents expected a school of 95 students to grow so quickly into the leader in independent education that it is today. That challenge... to build a socially and economically diverse community that honors and nurtures relationships among students, faculty and community within a dynamic educational environment... is one we have gladly accepted and exceeded.
- Our academic programs are designed to engage, challenge, and inspire students.
- In our Lower School, we know that every child is unique, and every child learns differently. Our differentiated-instruction approach enables us to teach children the way they learn best and move them along at their own pace. It`s a personalized approach requiring our teachers to understand how each student processes ideas, and to modify their teaching techniques to address each student`s needs.We`re educating students for a world that is constantly changing. To stay at the forefront of that change, we are continually adapting and updating our programs. This is about more than just technology - we incorporate the latest research on child development in our teaching to be sure we`re employing the best instructional practices.
- The Middle School at GDS is ideal preparation for the challenges and fast pace of the Upper School. Our program incorporates the latest research on adolescent brain development. This enables us to introduce challenging material and concepts with the right blend o findependent and collaborative learning. Freedoms expand, teaching students the responsibility that goes with them. Students also receive the continuous support that makes them confident in their abilities.Greensboro Day School students are at home learning anytime, anywhere. By Middle School they are accustomed to constantly evolving technology, and they utilize the latest programs for homework and projects as part of their preparation for global citizenship.
- Along with classes that include History in Film, Marine Science, and Cabaret, we extend our Upper School classroom boundaries through technology: teachers moderate online discussions, post videos of class lectures, develop class web pages, and tweet project suggestions. The wide variety of classes and approaches mean our students pursue their interests and take those interests as far as they want. Whatever they take - regular classes, advanced classes - it`s always challenging and in-depth.With trips from Australia to New York City to India, our students take learning beyond the classroom. Seniors spend four weeks off campus testing a possible career. Juniors push their limits for five days backpacking through Pisgah National Forest. Sophomore Service Week jump starts students` drive to really make a difference. Freshmen choose from nearly 20 different activities for WoW (Without Walls) Week.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- GreensboroGrades: NS-12 | 836 students
2900 Horse Pen Creek Rd
Greensboro, NC 27410
- GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 297 students
1128 New Garden Road
Greensboro, NC 27410
- GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 663 students
3919 Pleasant Garden Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406
- GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 180 students
4530 W Wendover Ave
Greensboro, NC 27409
- GreensboroGrades: PK-8 | 358 students
5400 Old Lake Jeanette Road
Greensboro, NC 27455
GDS has been the greatest decision my wife and I have ever made for our son. Our only regret is we did not pursue GDS sooner so our daughter could have had the same advantages. Like most parents I was very apprehensive on the first day that my soon started high school here at GDS but when I picked him up from school and saw the smile on his face all my fears were gone. He has grown so much academically; so much so I ow have no doubts how well he will do in college. He plays two sports at GDS and from day one has been accepted and been an integral part of both teams. On several occasions on our rides to and from school Josh has told me "I love GDS; this was the best decision we ever made!" Kinda says it all! Thanks GDS!
- Posted by Parent - Les Nichols
We absolutely love GDS for our boys. We wanted a school that wouldn't put them into a box and would allow them to be who they are and this is exactly what we've experienced. Every time we leave conferences, we are in awe at how well the teachers know our children. The teachers and division directors are phenomenal and our children are thriving because of it.
- Posted by Parent - bengalmom
We have 2 children at GDS - the oldest has been there for 5 years. We wanted a school that valued diversity. Diversity as it relates to all aspects ethnic, socioeconomic, artists to scientists. We wanted our children to be in a safe environment where they can be comfortable being individuals and not be conformed into a one size fits all program a place where they can follow their natural bent. GDS definitely fit the bill!
- Posted by Parent - heather
My nine-year-old son is in his fourth year at Greensboro Day School. Originally from Ethiopia, he has had a wonderful, welcoming experience at the school. The school is very intentional about celebrating different cultures and provides lots of inquiry-based, collaborative, hands-on learning opportunities. The school's lower school director is one of the best leaders I've met anywhere.
- Posted by Parent - dps
Our child has been at Greensboro Day School for eight years, and we could not imagine a better place for her. She has grown in ways we could not have imagined - leadership, compassion, service, academics, music, collaboration and so much more. We cannot go wrong when we invest in our children, and there is no better place to make that investment than Greensboro Day School!
- Posted by Parent - Always a Bengal
This is my daughter's third year at GDS. I am very pleased with the quality of administrators and teachers as well as the level of education. My daughter is appropriately challenged and excited to go to school everyday. She is very proud to tell others when asked where she attends school.
- Posted by Parent - cschu
It is difficult to put into words how much we appreciate Greensboro Day School and it's community of faculty, staff, and friends. We have 3 children, each with her and his unique learning styles, interests, and challenges. The teachers have responded to our children in the most impressive ways. They genuinely care about them while helping them to grow intellectually and ethically. An education at GDS is the most valuable investment we as parents will ever make!
- Posted by Parent - ballo
The level of care and concern for each student's academic as well as emotional needs creates a true family environment at GDS. My daughter's education is tailored to her academic level and needs and she loves going to school each day. The variety of afterschool clubs and learning opportunity is amazing.
- Posted by Parent - mljnc
We moved to the area almost 4 years ago. It was challenging as we moved 3 kids mid-year. However, I realized quickly how much time I wasted worrying as all three children settled in quickly and were warmly welcomed by students and teachers alike. With three children, each has very different personalities, strengths and challenges. Each of them has been met in a unique and wonderful manner. Academics is very important to us. Social and emotional development are, as well. GDS challenges all these areas in a multitude of areas ensuring our kids our challenged and enriched. I love that they have music and art every single week and PE 3x a week in lower school! Kids need to be active and to experience the arts - research PROVES the need for this. The drama program and the athletic programs make for a well-rounded experience.
- Posted by Parent - wsaun
We are Australian long term expats. We choose Greensboro Day School for our son when we moved to the US two years ago. Having been involved with many schools in 5 different countries, it was immediately obvious that we had found the right school for him. The staff were welcoming and it was refreshing to be greeted by the students as we toured the school. The low class sizes and the obvious dedication and enthusiasm of the teachers are very important to us. The school caters for his individual needs and he was immediately accepted into the middle school community. He is always talking about the interesting and challenging things that he is doing in class. We love that the subjects are very much related to current issues and aimed at promoting individual thought.
- Posted by Parent - mulli
My daughter has been going there for 2 years (pre-K and Kindergarten). I am constantly amazed at the level of activities she engages in, e.g. Art, Spanish, Science, and Computer. The teachers have been fabulous at working with the particular skills of each child and providing more challenges where warranted. She loves going to school every day, and the faculty and staff are all so welcoming. I also use the Bengal Cub Care - after school and she participates in after school extracurricular activities located on the campus, which is incredibly convenient.
- Posted by Parent - cschu
Love GDS! My daughter and are so pleased with the teachers & all the staff. It is so exciting to hear her experiences each day!
- Posted by Parent - renea
I am a parent of a 2nd grader at GDS and we love it here!!! From the moment I first walked on campus, it was the most welcoming and warm place. You can tell that teachers love teaching here and kids love learning here. It really is a special place! If you are looking at schools you should definitely come visit.
- Posted by Parent - purpl