Greensboro Day School
- Enrolling students in Preschool age 2 through 12th grade, Greensboro Day School is one of the largest nonsectarian independent schools in the Piedmont Triad of North Carolina, and is known throughout the nation for its excellence in education.
- Since 1970, our success has been defined by our challenging academic program, our emphasison honor and values and our dedication to each individual child and family.
- Today we are more committed than ever to developing the intellectual, ethical, and interpersonal foundations students need to become constructive contributors to the world.
Greensboro Day School places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||777 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American History, Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin: Vergil, Physics C, Physics E&M, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics|
|Average SAT score||1320|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Dress code )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$23,900|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Randy Doss|
|Admissions Associate||Elizabeth Lancaster|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||19 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Band, Cum Laude Society, Diversity Club, Gardening, Honor Board, Mandarin Chinese, Moot Court, National Honor Society, Operation Smile, Student Council, Student Philanthropy Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Chorus, Drama, Piano, Pottery, StageCraft, Strings
- Greensboro Day School opened its doors in 1970, the result of the dreams and hard work of dozens of parents who challenged themselves to build the best education possible for their childrenand for generations of children to come. Few of those parents expected a school of 95 students to grow so quickly into the leader in independent education that it is today. That challenge... to build a socially and economically diverse community that honors and nurtures relationships among students, faculty and community within a dynamic educational environment... is one we have gladly accepted and exceeded.
- Our academic programs are designed to engage, challenge, and inspire students.
- In our Lower School, we know that every child is unique, and every child learns differently. Our differentiated-instruction approach enables us to teach children the way they learn best and move them along at their own pace. It`s a personalized approach requiring our teachers to understand how each student processes ideas, and to modify their teaching techniques to address each student`s needs.We`re educating students for a world that is constantly changing. To stay at the forefront of that change, we are continually adapting and updating our programs. This is about more than just technology - we incorporate the latest research on child development in our teaching to be sure we`re employing the best instructional practices.
- The Middle School at GDS is ideal preparation for the challenges and fast pace of the Upper School. Our program incorporates the latest research on adolescent brain development. This enables us to introduce challenging material and concepts with the right blend o findependent and collaborative learning. Freedoms expand, teaching students the responsibility that goes with them. Students also receive the continuous support that makes them confident in their abilities.Greensboro Day School students are at home learning anytime, anywhere. By Middle School they are accustomed to constantly evolving technology, and they utilize the latest programs for homework and projects as part of their preparation for global citizenship.
- Along with classes that include History in Film, Marine Science, and Cabaret, we extend our Upper School classroom boundaries through technology: teachers moderate online discussions, post videos of class lectures, develop class web pages, and tweet project suggestions. The wide variety of classes and approaches mean our students pursue their interests and take those interests as far as they want. Whatever they take - regular classes, advanced classes - it`s always challenging and in-depth.With trips from Australia to New York City to India, our students take learning beyond the classroom. Seniors spend four weeks off campus testing a possible career. Juniors push their limits for five days backpacking through Pisgah National Forest. Sophomore Service Week jump starts students` drive to really make a difference. Freshmen choose from nearly 20 different activities for WoW (Without Walls) Week.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greensboro Grades: PK-12 | 529 students
3919 Pleasant Garden Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406
(336) 379-8380 9.6 PK-12
My son has had an incredible experience at Greensboro Day School. The school has great teachers as well as strong academics. I am confident that he is socially and academically prepared for college.
- Posted by Parent - Parent of 11th grader
Our experience with the middle school and high school has been excellent. GDS is very strong academically, has a great athletics and art program. Above all, I feel that my children are challenged and are learning to think critically. GDS places the bar high but supports its student along the way. GDS is a good place for all students regardless of strengths and weaknesses. I think GDS wants to grow "good kids" that can self-advocate, respect moral and ethics, and understand the complexity of the world around them.
- Posted by Parent - Sandrine
We enrolled 2 of our 3 daughters last year at GDS. Because of their experience we brought our 3rd daughter this year. She had attended one of the Guilford County public high schools. After only 1 week of class, she loves it! She told me last night how different the teachers are at GDS and how much they care. She says "the students want to learn!" She then said "Students just do not understand what they are missing by not being here at Greensboro Day School.
- Posted by Parent - David Wyrick
Caitlyn`s education at Greensboro Day School, and her Senior Project in particular, has helped her immensely. She did her project at VF Corporation which led her to study in the College of Textiles at NC State as a fashion business/marketing major. She has started her own online clothing business while a student. Her experience at GDS with the emphasis on class discussion and public speaking, and at VF, helped train her to speak in front of groups and now, organizations in Raleigh are paying her to give presentations because she does such outstanding job. She has also been on Dean`s List both semesters!
- Posted by Parent - Bob Murray
I fully credit my exposure to the fine and performing arts--including the thrill of production, attention to detail, aesthetic appreciation, and so much more--as leading me over and over again to the joys of professional theater. My teachers at Greensboro Day School taught me how to seek out, and encouraged me to explore, the intersection of my skills, interests, and potential. I have never been so happy learning, or as personally motivated to grow, as my years at GDS.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Mike Megliola
While my younger self may not have recognized the importance of some of the values faculty and staff at Greensboro Day School worked hard to instill in the student body, I certainly do now.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Whitney Marshall
My husband and I couldn't be happier with our choice to invest in Greensboro Day School for our children's education. The care and concern expressed by faculty and staff is evident each and every day. Teachers truly know our children as learners and as a result, our children are challenged and supported based on their individual needs. Greensboro Day School also provides students with endless opportunities to participate in experiential learning. From expert specialists (art, science, PE, technology, Suzuki, etc), to field trips or visitors on campus our children are constantly "learning by doing" which is fueling a lifetime love of learning.
- Posted by Parent - Kristen Tuma
When we came to Greensboro Day school, our daughter Alexis, was going into 5th grade just starting middle school. What we found was a school community of teachers,staff and families who work together and prepare our kids, both academically and personally for future education as well as life. We are so happy to watch her flourish at GDS where they foster relationships, study skills, and a thirst for knowledge and also encourage independence, respect, responsibility and love. We are blessed to be a part of the GDS community and look forward to many more years here.
- Posted by Parent - Anne-Marie
GDS prepared me for the college work load. I learned effective time management skills and I get my papers and projects done early because I am use to the strenuous work load from my time at GDS. Pearce - Class of 2017, UNC-Chapel Hill
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Pearce
GDS prepared me to be a leader in the classroom. I am able to help my peers when they are struggling. Laura, Class of 2017, Appalachian State
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Laura
Since attending Greensboro Day School Nyra's reading level has doubled. More importantly, her confidence has increased in her own abilities and it's been such a privilege to watch. Where before she would get nervous and upset if reading didn't go perfectly, now she giggles through words she doesn't know and tells us that it's okay to fail. She is excited to attend school, where before it was a constant struggle. Her desire to take on challenges is something we have never seen before, and we are so grateful that her teachers have instilled that in her in such a short period of time. Additionally, the staff at GDS has been so intentional with keeping us in the loop and bringing us in to the community. I have been truly blown away by how welcomed we have felt.
- Posted by Parent - Emily
Greensboro Day School not only provides a great education but also does a fantastic job of preparing students for the academic and social transition from high school to college. Having spent most of my education in public school, it is in my experience that the teachers at Greensboro Day have a much deeper care for their student's success than their public education counterparts. This level of interest in student success promotes an environment that allows students to be the best they can be. Because of the foundation laid by GDS, I felt as though I had a leg up on my friends during my first year of college. I only wish I would have enrolled earlier!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - 2014_Bengal
GDS has been the greatest decision my wife and I have ever made for our son. Our only regret is we did not pursue GDS sooner so our daughter could have had the same advantages. Like most parents I was very apprehensive on the first day that my soon started high school here at GDS but when I picked him up from school and saw the smile on his face all my fears were gone. He has grown so much academically; so much so I ow have no doubts how well he will do in college. He plays two sports at GDS and from day one has been accepted and been an integral part of both teams. On several occasions on our rides to and from school Josh has told me "I love GDS; this was the best decision we ever made!" Kinda says it all! Thanks GDS!
- Posted by Parent - Les Nichols
We absolutely love GDS for our boys. We wanted a school that wouldn't put them into a box and would allow them to be who they are and this is exactly what we've experienced. Every time we leave conferences, we are in awe at how well the teachers know our children. The teachers and division directors are phenomenal and our children are thriving because of it.
- Posted by Parent - bengalmom
We have 2 children at GDS - the oldest has been there for 5 years. We wanted a school that valued diversity. Diversity as it relates to all aspects ethnic, socioeconomic, artists to scientists. We wanted our children to be in a safe environment where they can be comfortable being individuals and not be conformed into a one size fits all program a place where they can follow their natural bent. GDS definitely fit the bill!
- Posted by Parent - heather
My nine-year-old son is in his fourth year at Greensboro Day School. Originally from Ethiopia, he has had a wonderful, welcoming experience at the school. The school is very intentional about celebrating different cultures and provides lots of inquiry-based, collaborative, hands-on learning opportunities. The school's lower school director is one of the best leaders I've met anywhere.
- Posted by Parent - dps
Our child has been at Greensboro Day School for eight years, and we could not imagine a better place for her. She has grown in ways we could not have imagined - leadership, compassion, service, academics, music, collaboration and so much more. We cannot go wrong when we invest in our children, and there is no better place to make that investment than Greensboro Day School!
- Posted by Parent - Always a Bengal
This is my daughter's third year at GDS. I am very pleased with the quality of administrators and teachers as well as the level of education. My daughter is appropriately challenged and excited to go to school everyday. She is very proud to tell others when asked where she attends school.
- Posted by Parent - cschu
It is difficult to put into words how much we appreciate Greensboro Day School and it's community of faculty, staff, and friends. We have 3 children, each with her and his unique learning styles, interests, and challenges. The teachers have responded to our children in the most impressive ways. They genuinely care about them while helping them to grow intellectually and ethically. An education at GDS is the most valuable investment we as parents will ever make!
- Posted by Parent - ballo
The level of care and concern for each student's academic as well as emotional needs creates a true family environment at GDS. My daughter's education is tailored to her academic level and needs and she loves going to school each day. The variety of afterschool clubs and learning opportunity is amazing.
- Posted by Parent - mljnc
We moved to the area almost 4 years ago. It was challenging as we moved 3 kids mid-year. However, I realized quickly how much time I wasted worrying as all three children settled in quickly and were warmly welcomed by students and teachers alike. With three children, each has very different personalities, strengths and challenges. Each of them has been met in a unique and wonderful manner. Academics is very important to us. Social and emotional development are, as well. GDS challenges all these areas in a multitude of areas ensuring our kids our challenged and enriched. I love that they have music and art every single week and PE 3x a week in lower school! Kids need to be active and to experience the arts - research PROVES the need for this. The drama program and the athletic programs make for a well-rounded experience.
- Posted by Parent - wsaun
We are Australian long term expats. We choose Greensboro Day School for our son when we moved to the US two years ago. Having been involved with many schools in 5 different countries, it was immediately obvious that we had found the right school for him. The staff were welcoming and it was refreshing to be greeted by the students as we toured the school. The low class sizes and the obvious dedication and enthusiasm of the teachers are very important to us. The school caters for his individual needs and he was immediately accepted into the middle school community. He is always talking about the interesting and challenging things that he is doing in class. We love that the subjects are very much related to current issues and aimed at promoting individual thought.
- Posted by Parent - mulli
Love GDS! My daughter and are so pleased with the teachers & all the staff. It is so exciting to hear her experiences each day!
- Posted by Parent - renea
I am a parent of a 2nd grader at GDS and we love it here!!! From the moment I first walked on campus, it was the most welcoming and warm place. You can tell that teachers love teaching here and kids love learning here. It really is a special place! If you are looking at schools you should definitely come visit.
- Posted by Parent - purpl