Canterbury School 's PreK-8 structure concentrates resources on the education of young children; our small size means every child is individually known and loved; we educate the whole child: mind, body and spirit; and as an Episcopal School, we have a tradition of strong academics in an environment that values diversity.
Canterbury School's mission is to develop the whole child by challenging the mind and nourishing the spirit in a diverse community guided by Judeo-Christian values. Our motto is To Learn, To Love, To Serve: To Live.
Canterbury's campus is approximately 35 acres in northeastern Greensboro, N.C. There are seven permanent buildings: lower and middle schools, a science and technology building, an athletic center, a chapel, an arts building, and a student center. Additional facilities include a library, playground areas, outdoor chapel, soccer field, pond, fitness trail, outdoor education center, extended day, and administrative offices.
Canterbury's after-school club opportunities include arts, intramural sports, drama, dance, microeconomics, Elementary Battle of the Books reading squad, Chess Club, Latin Club, and Chapel Choir.
Canterbury graduates go on to local magnet, specialty and neighborhood public high schools; local independent schools; and variety of boarding schools. Every year for the last 10 years, a Canterbury graduate has been valedictorian or salutatorian of a high school class.
Students in grades 5-8 can choose from eight seasonal sports team opportunities: soccer, lacrosse, cross country, golf, tennis, swimming, volleyball, and basketball. On average, 93 percent of our middle school students participate in sports.
Canterbury is the only school in Greensboro with a pond for water activities, a high and low ropes course, a climbing wall, and a nature and fitness trail. Through the Venture Out program, students in grades 1-8 learn cooperation, collaboration, listening, self-awareness, and goal setting.
Technology is embedded throughout all subject areas. Beginning in kindergarten, students use iPads in learning stations for reading, math, and problem solving. A one-to-one iPad initiative begins in 2nd grade and continues through the lower school. Every student in middle school uses an iPad.
Each year, the Canterbury lower school presents a Christmas program, with every kindergarteners through 4th graders playing a part. The performance gives even our youngest students the opportunity to become comfortable speaking (and singing) in front of a large group.
- Canterbury School was founded in 1993 as a co-educational Episcopal day school and serves students from PreK through 8th grade. Our PreK-8th grade structure concentrates resources on the education of young children; our small size means every child is individually known and loved; we educate the whole child: mind, body and spirit; and as an Episcopal School, we have a tradition of strong academics in an environment that values diversity. Our motto -- To Learn, To Love, To Serve: To Live -- reflects our belief that students learn valuable lessons for living through academics, spiritual nurture, and service to others. At Canterbury School, we believe that the ultimate purpose of education is to prepare students to become contributors to and leaders in an ever-changing world. .
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||377 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||46 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||20 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,250|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Assistance is available|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
|Admissions Director||Kelen Walker|
|Admissions Associate||Libba Lafave|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
- Canterbury is a co-educational day school for children in PreK through 8th grades. It was founded in 1993 by a group of parents who wanted Greensboro to have an educational option that offered strong academics, addressed a child’s spiritual growth, and recognized that the best education occurs in an environment where students are exposed to a variety of people, perspectives, and ideas. At Canterbury School, we believe that the ultimate purpose of education is to prepare students to become contributors to and leaders in an ever-changing world. To achieve that, our educational approach is unique:
- Our PreK-8 structure concentrates on the learning needs and development of young children and middle school adolescents without the distractions that can come with a high school.
- Our small size of about 40 in each grade means that each student is known, cared for, and loved.
- We recognize the best education develops the whole child: mind, body, and spirit.
- We are part of a long Episcopal school tradition of strong academics, an inquiry-based approach to learning, and a diverse environment.
- The mission of Canterbury School is to develop the whole child by challenging the mind and nourishing the spirit in a diverse community guided by Judeo-Christian values.
- Please call to schedule a tour: 336-288-2007. The best way to learn more about Canterbury and the curriculum is to visit the campus in person. Personal tours are available by appointment any day of the week. Please also visit our website www.canterburygso.org for Opportunities to Visit campus for Open Houses and other admission events.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 806 students
5041 Lawndale Drive
Greensboro, NC 27455
GreensboroGrades: NS-12 | 836 students
2900 Horse Pen Creek Rd
Greensboro, NC 27410
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 297 students
1128 New Garden Road
Greensboro, NC 27410
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 663 students
3919 Pleasant Garden Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 180 students
4530 W Wendover Ave
Greensboro, NC 27409
My children are receiving an incredible education! The teachers know how to engage and challenge children at every level. We all love the small community and gorgeous campus. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment for my young children!
- Posted by Parent - elafa
WHAT A WONDERFU L PLACE FULL OF DECEIT AND UPPER CLASS BACK STABBERS, THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT PLACE FOR CHILDREN TO GO
- Posted by Student/Alumni - FREAK
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.