5.00 (3 reviews)
Tel: (336) 288-2007
Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury School 's PreK-8 structure concentrates resources on the education of young children; our small size means every child is individually known and loved; we educate the whole child: mind, body and spirit; and as an Episcopal School, we have a tradition of strong academics in an environment that values diversity.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - Canterbury's campus is approximately 35 acres in northeastern Greensboro, N.C. There are seven permanent buildings: lower and middle schools, a science and technology building, an athletic center, a chapel, an arts building, and a student center. Additional facilities include a library, playground areas, outdoor chapel, soccer field, pond, fitness trail, outdoor education center, extended day, and administrative offices.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - Canterbury's after-school club opportunities include arts, intramural sports, drama, dance, microeconomics, Elementary Battle of the Books reading squad, Chess Club, Latin Club, and Chapel Choir.
Canterbury School Photo #5 - Canterbury graduates go on to local magnet, specialty and neighborhood public high schools; local independent schools; and variety of boarding schools. Every year for the last 10 years, a Canterbury graduate has been valedictorian or salutatorian of a high school class.
Canterbury School Photo #6 - Students in grades 5-8 can choose from eight seasonal sports team opportunities: soccer, lacrosse, cross country, golf, tennis, swimming, volleyball, and basketball. On average, 93 percent of our middle school students participate in sports.
Canterbury School Photo #7 - Canterbury is the only school in Greensboro with a pond for water activities, a high and low ropes course, a climbing wall, and a nature and fitness trail. Through the Venture Out program, students in grades 1-8 learn cooperation, collaboration, listening, self-awareness, and goal setting.
Canterbury School Photo #8 - Technology is embedded throughout all subject areas. Beginning in kindergarten, students use iPads in learning stations for reading, math, and problem solving. A one-to-one iPad initiative begins in 2nd grade and continues through the lower school. Every student in middle school uses an iPad.
Canterbury School Photo #9 - Each year, the Canterbury lower school presents a Christmas program, with every kindergarteners through 4th graders playing a part. The performance gives even our youngest students the opportunity to become comfortable speaking (and singing) in front of a large group.
- Canterbury School prepares PreK-8th grade students to be capable problem solvers, creative thinkers, effective communicators, responsible citizens, and respected leaders.
- Our motto -- To Learn, To Love, To Serve: To Live -- reflects our belief that students learn valuable lessons for living through academics, spiritual nurture, and service to others. Our Episcopal identity provides rigorous academics and a unique inquiry-based approach to learning.
- We challenge students' minds and nourish their spirits in a close-knit community where all students are known and loved.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||322 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(1st-4th Khaki or navy on bottom, collared shirts on top, no logos; and 5th-8th solid colored bottoms with collared, no logo shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,715|
|Tuition Notes||Canterbury offers indexed tuition that considers each family's unique financial situation. Families may pay from $3,443 to $17,715 for K-8. PreK options begin at $6,000 for 5 half days.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,900|
|Admissions Director||Caroline Walker|
|Endowment Size||$9 million|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Latin Club, Microeconomics Club, STEM Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Dance Classes, Drama Club, Individual music lessons, Middle School Spring Musical
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outdoor Education (climbing wall, ropes course, etc.), Sports skills clinics
- Canterbury is a co-educational day school for children in PreK through 8th grades. It was founded in 1993 by a group of parents who wanted Greensboro to have an educational option that offered strong academics, addressed a child`s spiritual growth, and recognized that the best education occurs in an environment where students are exposed to a variety of people, perspectives, and ideas. At Canterbury School, we believe that the ultimate purpose of education is to prepare students to become contributors to and leaders in an ever-changing world. To achieve that, our educational approach is unique:
- Our PreK-8 structure concentrates on the learning needs and development of young children and middle school adolescents without the distractions that can come with a high school.
- Our small size of about 35-40 in each grade means that each student is known, cared for, and loved.
- We recognize the best education develops the whole child: mind, body, and spirit.
- We are part of a long Episcopal school tradition of strong academics, an inquiry-based approach to learning, and a diverse environment.
- The mission of Canterbury School is to develop the whole child by challenging the mind and nourishing the spirit in a diverse community guided by Judeo-Christian values.
- Diversity of all kinds is key to Canterbury`s mission, and our indexed tuition policies make a Canterbury education affordable for all families.
- Please call to schedule a tour: 336-288-2007. The best way to learn more about Canterbury and the curriculum is to visit the campus in person. Personal tours are available by appointment any day of the week. Please also visit our website www.canterburygso.org for opportunities to visit campus for open houses and other admission events.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greensboro Grades: PK-12 | 529 students
3919 Pleasant Garden Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406
(336) 379-8380 9.1 PK-12
Canterbury School is perfect for my family! It provides a nurturing environment with exceptional academic programs. A place where my children are known and loved!
- Posted by Parent - Katherine
My children are receiving an incredible education! The teachers know how to engage and challenge children at every level. We all love the small community and gorgeous campus. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment for my young children!
- Posted by Parent - elafa
WHAT A WONDERFU L PLACE FULL OF DECEIT AND UPPER CLASS BACK STABBERS, THANK YOU FOR SUCH A GREAT PLACE FOR CHILDREN TO GO
- Posted by Student/Alumni - FREAK
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.