Greenwood Christian School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (864) 229-2427
The school serves families from Anderson, Abbeville, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick and Saluda counties with a August enrollment of 480 students in K3 to 12th grade.
Mission Statement: Greenwood Christian School, in partnership with the family and the church, exists to glorify God by enabling students to reach their full potential spiritually, academically, and socially under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Vision Statement: Greenwood Christian School strives to develop students who will make a difference in the world by serving others, taking with them the knowledge, wisdom and Biblical worldview they developed while at GCS.
Located at 2026 Woodlawn Rd. in Greenwood, SC, 29649. Office phone: 864-229-2427; Website at greenwoodchristianschool.org or like us on Facebook at Greenwood Christian School Official. Follow gcs_now on Instagram. GCS, accredited by ACTS (nationally); AdvancED / SACS (regionally); SCISA (statewide); does not discriminate against race or ethnic origin in administration of its educational, admission and athletic policies, tuition assistance or any other school administered programs.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Teachers and Schools (ACTS)|
National Council for Private School Accreditation
The South Carolina Independent School Association
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||480 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 14%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|Average SAT score||1120|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- HISTORY: The school was established in 1992 with a vision shared by Christians in the surrounding areas who recognized the need for an independent non-denominational Christian school. The doors opened in the fall of 1992 with an enrollment of approximately 70 students.
- ACCREDITATION: GCS is an accredited member of the Association of Christian Teachers and Schools (ACTS) and the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA). GCS is also SACS accredited by AdvancED Accreditation Commission. GCS earned an accreditation certificate granted by the National Council for Private School Accreditation. The school serves families from Anderson, Abbeville, Edgefield, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick and Saluda counties with an August 2019 enrollment of 480 students in K3 to 12th grade.
- ADMINISTRATION: The Head of School is Chris Johns, PhD. He is supported by 60 administrative staff and college educated faculty. GCS is governed by a Board of Directors (9 members) which consists of parents, community leaders and Calvary Chapel Church representatives.
- FACULTY: All teachers hold a minimum of a bachelor`s degree. In addition, all faculty members are required to fulfill the teacher certification requirements set forth by ACTS with continuing education classes.
- STUDENTS: Admission is based on testing, family interviews, references and student interviews. While GCS does not issue a school uniform, the students adhere to a modest dress code.
- FAITH: GCS serves families from seven counties who represent about 75 different churches. Being non-denominational, the Bible curriculum is focused on scriptural truths and not specific denominational doctrines. All students attend weekly Chapel at GCS, which include worship teams composed of middle and high school students who express interest and talent in music.
- ACADEMICS: GCS teaches a six subject core curriculum to all enrolled students with a strong emphasis on the traditional values: Math, Science, History, Bible, Grammar and Handwriting/Literature. The adopted curricula is Bob Jones University based. Graduation requirements are supervised by a high school guidance counselor. Foreign language, honors classes and dual enrollment are introduced at a high school level. National Honor Society and National Junior Honor Society inducts students from grades 7-11 who meet the criteria. SAT and ACT scores of GCS students are above the state and national average.
- TESTING: Students in K5-8 take a Terra Nova test annually. Grades 9-11 are given the PSAT each fall. Grade 10 students also take the ACT ASPIRE test. Since 1992, GCS has graduated 517 students, with about 97 percent continuing with higher education. GCS Graduates are extremely competitive for scholarships to the college of their choice.
- ENRICHMENT: Students do not thrive on academics alone. GCS offers various enrichment and electives to balance the rigors of academia. Related art classes for elementary students include: PE, Media Center, Music and Art (computer applies to some grades). Middle school students take eight classes: six core curriculum classes plus electives: Band, PE, Drama, Chorus, Art, Life Skills, or Computer Lab and a study hall. High school students choose from the following electives: Band, Basic Art, Drama, Chorus, Worship Arts, PE, Communication/Speech and Media Arts. Dual Enrollment courses include but not limited to: Physics, Intro to Computers, English 101 & 102.
- SERVICE: Middle and high school students have leadership opportunities by serving on student councils, or as NHS and NJHS officers. Seniors are required to complete 100 hours of pre-approved volunteer service to graduate. High School students also organize a Mission Day to provide community service outside of the GCS campus.
- ATHLETICS: GCS offers seasonal sports teams for male and female students in Grades 6-12. They include: Football, Cross Country, Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, Softball, Golf, Soccer, Track/Field and Cheerleading. School colors are Navy, Sliver and White; athletic mascot is the Hawk.
- CONNECT: GCS is located at 2026 Woodlawn Rd. in Greenwood, SC, 29649. Office phone: 864-229-2427; visit the website at greenwoodchristianschool.org or like us on Facebook at Greenwood Christian School Official. Follow gcs_now on Instagram.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greenwood Grades: NS-12 | 58 students
1908 Highway 72 221 E
Greenwood, SC 29649
(864) 229-1414 5.1 NS-12
- Greenwood Grades: 3-12 | 32 students
229 Grace St
Greenwood, SC 29649
(864) 943-2004 3.1 3-12
- Greenwood Grades: PK-12 | 90 students
2775 Montague Ave Ext
Greenwood, SC 29649
(864) 229-6553 2.3 PK-12
- Beaufort Grades: PK-12 | 286 students
240 Sams Point Rd
Beaufort, SC 29907
(843) 929-9207 152.1 PK-12
- Beaufort Grades: PK-6 | 230 students
70 Lady's Island Dr
Beaufort, SC 29907
(843) 522-2163 152.5 PK-6
I would like some information about your school. I just moved to Greenwood and would like some information about the school.
- Posted by Parent - Johnette
Greenwood Christian School is the best fit for our family. We love the academic, athletic and family atmosphere.
- Posted by Parent - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.