Hampton Roads International Montessori School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Hampton Roads International Montessori School Photo #2 - The Google Guys went to Montessori! So did the Founders of Amazon and Sim City! And Princes William and Harry. The NBA's Steven Curry did, too. What do they have in common? They credit who they are to their Montessori education, and you can Google that! #HRIMS #HamptonRoadsInternationalMontessoriSchool
Hampton Roads International Montessori School Photo #3 - Montessori is a time-tested, child-centered approach to education that empowers children to become confident, creative, critical thinkers. HRIMS allows all of this to happen in a culturally diverse and peaceful community environment. How could your child not love coming to school? #HRIMS #HamptonRoadsInternationalMontessoriSchool
Hampton Roads International Montessori School Photo #4 - Developing the whole child. #HRIMS #HamptonRoadsInternationalMontessoriSchool
Hampton Roads International Montessori School Photo #5 - Self-motivation and Self-confidence begins with Empowerment. I can do it myself! Yes, they can. Teach them the correct and safe techniques, and they can do so much more than you think they can! We can show you. #HRIMS #HamptonRoadsInternationalMontessoriSchool
- **First time-No Toddler Waiting List due to expanded program**Call Now!
- Our students love coming to school! They are engaged; exploring, learning, growing and becoming independent by using interactive materials and hands-on experiences beginning at 18 months and continuing through 12 years of age. Montessori is a time-tested, child-centered approach to education that empowers children to become confident, creative, critical thinkers.
- HRIMS allows all of this to happen in a culturally diverse and peaceful community environment.
- How could your child not love coming to school? The Google Guys went to Montessori! So did the Founders of Amazon and Sim City! And Princes William and Harry.
- The NBA's Steven Curry did, too. What do they have in common? They credit who they are to their Montessori education, and you can Google that! Give your child the gift of a Montessori education.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Summer programs are offered with a year-long contract or by 2-week sessions.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||127 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Annual tuition ranges from $6750 for a half-day program to $12,000 for a full day (7:30am-5:30pm) program, depending on the age/class level. Different payment plans are offered.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,200|
|Admissions Director||Janet Morris|
- Nurturing the development of each child to reach his fullest social, emotional, and academic potential in a culturally diverse environment that is firmly grounded in the Montessori philosophy. HRIMS serves children ages 16 months through 6th grade in our Toddler, Children's House, and Elementary Programs. Half-day, school day and full-day programs are offered beginning at 7:30am and ending at 5:30pm. See our website for more information. http://hrimontessori.org/contact/#anchor-inquiry
- See our facebook for additional photos and information. https://www.facebook.com/hrimontessori/
- The aim of the Toddler Community (ages 16months to 3 years old) is to offer an engaging environment designed according to Montessori principles and practices that will promote the development of the young child's social skills, emotional growth, physical coordination and cognitive learning.
- The Children's House is a community of children of mixed ages (3 - 6). This program is a 3 year academic cycle where children idealy enter between the ages of 3 and 4. Each year in Children's House is both unique and sequential. They feel at home in the class and develop a repertoire of workin the areas of math, language, science, cultural studies, geography, geometry, sensorial, and practical life. The materials offer the opportunity for both practice and new work at every achievement level. Children of mixed ages and abilities work together in a socially and academically dynamic environment. Children must be fully toilet-trained before starting the program.
- "The elementary child has reached a new level of development. Before he was interested in things: working with his hands, learning their names. Now he is interested mainly in the how and why... the problem of cause and effect."- Dr. Maria Montessori
- The elementary child wants to know everything about everything! He wants to know the when, where and how of everything. Learning at this stage (6-9 and 9-12 years old) must be relevant and respond to the child's need to understand his universe. The children are offered a rich and diverse curriculum with emphasis on developing skills, which will support and inspire lifelong learning. The classroom environment encourages both individual and small group exploration.
- Children develop strong skills in reading, writing, mathematics, geometry, geography, history, biology, botany, and social studies through an integrated, core curriculum that begins with thought provoking and inspiring stories. Montessori Elementary is based on a three-year cycle with multi-age groupings. Not only does this enhance social development but also learning opportunities. The youngest children are exposed to and inspired by the older children's activities and knowledge. The older children benefit, in turn, from teaching the younger ones. The older children also provide leadership and mentoring to their younger peers. Friendships that develop in this environment have depth and are generally long lasting. The Montessori Elementary environment provides and nurtures a profound sense of acceptance and belonging.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Newport News Grades: PK-12 | 630 students
739 Academy Lane
Newport News, VA 23602
(757)884-9100 2.1 PK-12
- Newport News Grades: PK-8 | 125 students
252 Lucas Creek Road
Newport News, VA 23602
(757)877-2941 3.4 PK-8
I didn't know what the Montessori Philosophy was when we started with public school, but, we knew public school wasn't working for our family. So, after researching many private schools in the area we toured two. What we observed at Hampton Roads International Montessori School were children very engaged in their learning in a wonderful, comfortable environment. We are now part of the school family and volunteering in the class the children are always smiling, happy to be there, happy to be learning, and the teachers look relaxed with smiles on their faces too. The classrooms are open, bright and inviting with very few desks, and several different ages in the (Elementary) classes. The children are engaged in reading, math, music, play rehearsal, cooking/baking, making presentations etc. It is a very organic, earthy feel, teachers and staff don't raise their voices, and the children are smiling, respectful and welcoming. Montessori uses hands-on activities and tools so the children engage with the work more in depth than the traditional paper and pencil worksheets. Also, having international families and faculty allow additional learning about world cultures, languages and family life. The children are given the encouragement, tools and guidance to be successful in their life, not just in academics. Many of the children didn't want to break for the summer, and couldn't wait to return to school in the fall...I think that says it all.
- Posted by Parent - KateP
My two children have been at HRIMS for 3 years. The teachers and staff are amazing! They have taught my children a love of learning. The best thing to do is come in and see for yourself!
- Posted by Parent - maryf
Nearby Homes for Sale
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.