Highland Presbyterian Nursery and Weekday School
Since 1949, the Nursery and Weekday School of Highland Presbyterian Church has provided exceptional experiences for the Louisville community.
The School was established to offer young children the opportunity to grow as thinking children who discover the world around them with creativity and curiosity; to develop capable children who work with other children and adults to solve problems together; to nurture caring children who learn to share themselves and their things with others; to celebrate contented children who enjoy learning; and to encourage loving children who are being loved, respected, and challenged in a safe and secure environment where they have fun.
By providing this atmosphere and these experiences, our school enables children to become people who respect others, value diversity, and who will be active, contributing members of their communities.
We provide a child-centered environment with rich and varied activities.
We learn who the children are and what interests them by observing and listening to them as they play, designing experiences according to their needs and interests, and documenting their work.
This process makes children's learning visible and conveys a strong image of children as capable and competent thinkers, learners and problem-solvers.
- School Type: Early Childhood / Day Care
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-Kindergarten
- Students: 163 students
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 11%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 15 / rolling
Varies according to age of child and number of days attending. Go to hpcweekdayschool.org for more details.
- Welcome to a place where curiosity rules. Where children explore, ask questions and think for themselves. Where they are encouraged to make discoveries and create connections. Where learning and play are inseparable. For more than 60 years, Highland Presbyterian Church has provided a joyful, stimulating, and nurturing learning environment for young children, where lasting relationships are formed among children, teachers and families. From our youngest infants to our exceptional kindergarten program, when you enroll your child at the Highland Presbyterian Nursery and Weekday School, you enter a dynamic community of learners that will not only enrich your child, but your family, too.
- Early childhood is an amazing time of discovery and growth for children and their families. During these years, children begin to develop relationship skills they will need throughout their lives. At the Highland Presbyterian Church Nursery and Weekday School, we create learning environments rich with possibilities that encourage children to wonder and explore their world together. Through these new relationships, they begin to build oral and written language, make connections with print and visual materials, and express themselves through the "languages" of conversation, music, storytelling, various art media, and creative play.
- We respect the learning that takes place in our classrooms and celebrate the ideas and interests of our children and faculty. We provide opportunities for our teachers to enhance and improve their knowledge and skills through research and study. As a team, we review and incorporate the best philosophies and educational practices that inspire us and guide our vision. We are influenced by the early childhood centers in Reggio Emilia, Italy along with the reflective teachings of Margie Carter and Deb Curtis, and the writings of Vygotsky, Dewey and Piaget.
- Highland Presbyterian Church Nursery and Weekday School offers a creative infant-toddler, preschool and kindergarten program in which adults and children form strong relationships and construct knowledge together through play. We create spaces for children that encourage them to think reflectively, interact respectfully and discover the world around them with wonder and joy.
Source: Verified school update
Endorse Highland Presbyterian Nursery and Weekday School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Which Schools Did Our Presidents Attend? Part 3 - Wilson to Trump
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
School Security: It Could Never Happen Here Or Could It?
School shootings and other emergency situations won't happen in your school, right? Who knows! Better to put in place the steps necessary to protect the school community than to be caught unprepared.
July 06, 2022Parents' FAQs About Private School
You have dozens of reasons why you think a private school is a good option for your child. But you also have some concerns. We address those here.