Highlands Latin School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Highlands Latin is a private, classical, Christian school in Louisville, KY. Our goal is to provide our students with a classical education of the highest quality and to create a private school which is a model of excellence in both academics and Christian character.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||680 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||82 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||English Language, AB Calculus, Chemistry, Latin, Literature, Physics|
|Average SAT score||1358|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$3,900|
|Tuition Notes||Kindergarten: $3900 1st-2nd Grade: $5980 3rd-6th Grade: $7,450 7th Grade & up: $7,975|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kelley Booker|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
- Highlands Latin is a Christian School. Our faith statement is the Apostles` Creed, the most ancient and widely accepted expression of the essential beliefs of the Christian faith.Highlands Latin teaches and upholds traditional Christian morality, and the Holy Scriptures as the divinely inspired word of God.Highlands Latin warmly welcomes families of other faiths but we ask that you respect our distinctive Christian identity. In all of our instruction we are respectful of other faiths, while humbly maintaining the truths of our Christian faith.
- Highlands Latin is a Classical School. The intensive study of Latin in the grammar school years develops the minds of students as no other subject can. Students who have learned how to learn with Latin become better students in all other subjects. The study of classical languages and the Greek/Roman classics provides a path to wisdom and knowledge that cannot be attained by any other method. In the tradition of western civilization, education and classical education have always been synonymous.Classical education can be distinguished from modern education, in that it does not neglect the important first step of giving students the classical tools for both intellectual development and for understanding their classical, Christian heritage.
- Highlands Latin is a Traditional School. Although schools have tried many experimental innovations during the last century, none have been able to duplicate the success of the traditional classroom.In the traditional classroom, a knowledgeable, enthusiastic teacher carefully leads students into an understanding of each subject. Classrooms are quiet, orderly, and disciplined. Lessons are incremental, content is age-appropriate, and students learn the important skill of quality written work completed in a timely manner. Homework is moderate and is for the purpose of practicing or preparing for a lesson. The traditional classroom is consistent with human nature and the experience of many decades has demonstrated its superiority over the modern child-centered classroom. Highlands Latin Mission: In partnership with parents, and guided by the Gospel, we seek to educate students to the highest standards of the classical tradition, so that they may grow in knowledge, wisdom, and the love of Our Lord, and more ably use their gifts in the service of others, and for the glory of Christ and his Church.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Louisville Grades: PK-8 | 433 students
322 Cannons Ln
Louisville, KY 40206
(502)893-7700 6.4 PK-8
- Louisville Grades: PK-12 | 201 students
130 Smith Ln
Louisville, KY 40229
(502)957-2856 14.2 PK-12
- Louisville Grades: NS-8 | 455 students
510 Breckenridge Ln
Louisville, KY 40207
(502)895-5122 5.3 NS-8
- Louisville Grades: K-8 | 436 students
1800 Newburg Road
Louisville, KY 40205
(502)458-2850 8.8 K-8
- Louisville Grades: PK-12 | 239 students
7808 Beulah Church Rd
Louisville, KY 40228
(502)239-6699 8.4 PK-12
I have 2 children at HLS that have flourished during the last 5 years. They enjoy learning, have excelled in each subject brought to them, and are thriving here. I like that the teachers are Christians that don`t hesitate to use scripture to teach and train my children, just as I would at home. I`m so thankful to be a part of a school that not only has a strong academic tradition, but also strives to promote character through biblical teaching.
- Posted by Parent - Shannon
Highlands Latin is a great school where the teachers are really engaged with each student. I regularly receive emails from my child's teacher when he did something well, but also about specific areas where he needs more help at home. I feel like my son's teacher is working with us every day to education him.
- Posted by Parent - blowe
Parents need to know that HLS offers a highly religion-focused, extremely-structured, teacher-centric education in a regimented, discipline-enforced environment.
- Posted by Parent - dabau
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.