Horace Mann School John Dorr Nature Laboratory
- Horace Mann seeks to educate and nurture its students and to help them fulfill their potential.
- To attain this goal, the School provides a challenging and rigorous set of academic and extracurricular programs within a caring and supportive environment.
- Students are encouraged to test and learn about themselves, to develop a concern for others and to grow intellectually, physically, socially and emotionally.
- The School seeks to foster a capacity in each individual for clear and creative thought.
- The School encourages students to understand that learning is a lifelong endeavor that is valuable in itself.
- Horace Mann seeks a diverse student body and fosters a respect for individual and cultural differences.
- Each student is encouraged to strive for self-esteem and confidence and to be respectful of others.
- In addition, students learn that they must be responsible for their actions and for the decisions that they make.
- In its role as a college preparatory school, Horace Mann emphasizes the Liberal Arts and prepares its students for leadership in a variety of fields and endeavors.
- To accomplish this task, the School offers programs and activities that encourage excellence.
- The School also maintains an outstanding faculty that represents both high scholarship and a deep concern for the total development of the individual.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Total Students||1330 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Preston Marble DaleGrades: PK-8 | 252 students
240 Litchfield Tpke
New Preston Marble Dale, CT 06777
- WashingtonGrades: 5-12 | 80 students
81 Sabbaday Lane
Washington, CT 06793
- WashingtonGrades: K-9 | 322 students
201 Romford Rd
Washington, CT 06794
- WashingtonGrades: 9-12 | 295 students
99 Green Hill Rd
Washington, CT 06793
- BethlehemGrades: 9-12 | 40 students
PO Box 550
Bethlehem, CT 06751
Nearby Homes for Sale
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.
January 07, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.
December 27, 2017
Hundreds of private schools, and for that matter, public schools, outside the United States will be happy to have you as a teacher for a few years.