Rumsey Hall School
Students in our co-educational junior boarding and day school for children in Kindergarten through ninth grade are valued and celebrated for their unique gifts, diverse learning styles, and innate character.
Founded in 1900, our independent school honors the strengths of our tradition; and, we challenge ourselves and our students to grow without limit from the foundation of our deeply-rooted history.
Our students serve each other and their community, find the courage to be themselves and enjoy the intangible benefits of long-lasting friendship and connection.
- Top Ranked CT School
- Grades: Kindergarten-9
- Students: 308 students
- Yearly Tuition: $68,000
- Acceptance rate: 80%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Learning Difference Programs
Learning Programs Supported
Mild Learning Differences
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(Khaki pants and jacket)
(Khaki pants and jacket)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Boarding tuition does not include, books, laundry and Language Skills support.
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
Benjamin R. Tuff
Total Sports Offered
- Rumsey Hall is for the curious and the bold-the forward-movers-who seek honesty, kindness, and respect in all they do. Children in our co-educational junior boarding and day school for grades K-9 are valued and celebrated for their unique gifts, learning styles, and innate character. Founded in 1900, we honor tradition; subsequently, we challenge ourselves and our students to grow without limit from the foundation of our deeply-rooted history. Our students serve each other and their community, find the courage to be themselves and enjoy the intangible benefits of long-lasting friendship and connection.
- With effort as our main criterion for success, teachers and leaders see every child as a `whole person`: a mind to fuel with proven and innovative academic instruction; a body to train with outdoor recreation and seasoned, competitive athletic program; a creative spirit to nurture through music, the arts, and innovation challenges and, a unique personality entitled to feelings, likes and dislikes who can both understand others and be understood. Our students-from the wonder-filled "Kindie" exploring Shepaug`s teeming on-campus riverbed to the "VIIth Former" (9th grader) confidently addressing the student body on the topic of DEIJ (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice)-are given the space to expand, fail, rebound, and THRIVE. The Rumsey community provides students with a broad base of support, giving students the assurance that they need to embrace new challenges. Bolstered by a dedicated network of teachers and family supporting them, Rumsey graduates go on to the secondary school realm equipped for success. From there, they go on to better the world!
- Located in Washington, in the Litchfield Hills of Northwest Connecticut, our vibrant campus bustles with the energy of 309 students learning and living in 32 gleaming white buildings on 231 acres along the scenic Bantam River. The artists-within find a place to beam creativity out in our fine arts and performing arts centers. Children from all over the globe find a sense of home-of family-in our nine dormitories. Athletes of all levels discover the benefits of perseverance and ambition in our seven athletic fields, two gymnasiums, hockey rink, indoor crew tanks/facility, and three indoor and three outdoor tennis courts.
- We can`t wait to meet you in person on our gem-of-a-campus in the hills. We`re excited to talk to you further about the many ways your child can be their best self-moving forward-at Rumsey Hall!
Profile last updated: 07/21/2021
Endorse Rumsey Hall School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Ways To Protect Your Child From Bullying
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
Questions! Questions! Questions!
If you are beginning to think about sending your child to private school, you probably have a lot of questions. Here are some answers to your more common questions.
Marketing Your School: Welcoming New Students
Why is welcoming students so important? Because it makes new students and their families feel that they are part of the school community from Day 1. More about this valuable marketing tool here.