5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (207) 443-5584
Hyde School Photo #2 - Campus life at Hyde is all about being an active and engaged member of the community. An emphasis on charactercourage, integrity, leadership, curiosity, and concernprovides the cornerstone for learningin the classrooms, dormitories, the arts, and on the athletic fields.
Hyde School Photo #3 - Hyde students all participate in visual or performing arts. The arts program allows students to express their creativity, appreciate the world around them, enhance public speaking and presentation skills, and take pride in their work.
Hyde School Photo #4 - Concern for others is at the center of Hyde's principles, and our students are engaged in community service on many levels. Our students participate in programs such as the American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, blood drives, fundraising and work in local homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
Hyde School Photo #5 - All students participate in three sports during the academic year. Hyde School athletic programs offer seasoned athletes, novice athletes, and athletes whose abilities fall somewhere in between an opportunity to explore leadership potential by developing skills that can help them become effective problem-solvers, strategists, and strong team players.
Hyde School Photo #6 - The International Program at Hyde School offers students from all over the world a true American immersion experience. Our campus in Bath, Maine, is a center for outstanding college-preparatory academics, leadership opportunities, athletic participation, arts and theater, and much more.
Hyde School Photo #7 - Hyde's academic program builds skills and develops confidence. Ninety-eight percent of Hyde graduates attend four-year colleges.
Hyde School Photo #8 - Hyde Stories are thirteen intimate, personal interviews with recent Hyde private boarding school alumni, parents, faculty, and staff. Each reveals a distinctive aspect of Hyde's unique education. Find on hyde.edu.
- The whole person philosophy that guides all learning and teaching at Hyde's boarding campus in Bath, Maine, and through public school initiatives in Bronx and Brooklyn, New York and affiliate schools in Orlando, Florida and Lanham, Maryland, is to develop the individual by developing their inner leadership.
- Along with a rigorous academic and athletic program, students participate in singer-songwriter workshops, preforming and visual arts programs, student-mentoring programs in Hyde's New York charter schools, and internship and volunteer experiences that help to apply learning to real life.
- Hyde's unique character education program helps not only students, but parents, siblings, and grandparents.
- Hyde teaches that it is never too late to fulfill your unique potential and gain the tools needed for a successful life. Ninety-eight percent of Hyde School graduates are accepted to four-year colleges.
- If you are a committed parent who is determined to create a better future for your teenager, and you want to join a community with a school culture that works, visit Hyde.edu to see what Hyde can do for you!
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$6,500|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||includes room, board, and all excursion costs|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||150 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, English Composition, Environmental Science, Physics, Statistics, Studio Art, US History|
|Average SAT score||1160|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$58,000|
|Tuition Notes||includes room, board, and books|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$19,000|
|Admissions Director||Kristin Harman|
|Admissions Associate||Bob Felt|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, WrestlingBasketball, Cross Country,|
Track and Field, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Song Writer's Workshop in Nashville|
Club or Organization:
American Red Cross, Big Brother/Big Sister, Boat Building, Community Service including Habitat for Humanity, Public Speaking, Salvation Army Christmas Party, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Media Team, Tech Production
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance, Ropes Course, Skiing, Surfing, Ultimate Frisbee, Wilderness Leadership Experience
- Located in the quaint and historic shipbuilding city of Bath, Maine, on the Kennebec River, the Hyde School campus was founded in 1966. Formerly the estate of shipbuilder John S. Hyde, the sprawling 145-acre New England estate includes the historic Hyde Mansion and carriage house, which houses classrooms and offices. The Hyde grounds feature the Wheeler Library & Academic Wing and an all-inclusive athletic center with field house, wrestling room, entertainment center, weight and cardio rooms. The Student Learning Center, built in 2006, houses a 5400-square-foot library, a resource center, computer laboratory, and comfortable classrooms, some of which overlook the picturesque campus grounds. Classrooms include interactive plasma displays, known as Smart Boards. The Student Union houses a 600-seat performing arts center, a 350-seat dining hall, the campus mailroom, and a state-of-the-art music studio where students write and record original music. Campus also includes the 1915 Sunken Garden, Health Center, bookstore, and caf, the Student Cultural Center, the Spiritual Center, three playing fields, including a turf field, an all-weather track, indoor tennis and basketball courts, and several dormitories. Year-round, students and faculty enjoy miles of wooded running, bicycling, and cross-country skiing trails that extend beyond the campus. Hyde students also enjoy a ropes course with zip line, a 600-acre wilderness facility located in the Bigelow Mountains in Eustis, Maine, running, biking, and cross-country ski trails, state-of-the-art music recording studio, climbing wall, and ice skating ponds. The Joseph W. Gauld Student Life and Athletic Center Complex, built in 2006, provides multiple options for athletes, including a climbing wall, and comfortable gathering spaces in the caf, entertainment room, or gracious foyer, which is equipped with a stone fireplace.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Portland Grades: PK-12 | 705 students
360 Spring St
Portland, ME 04102
(207) 774-5721 28.8 PK-12
- Woolwich Grades: K-12 | 72 students
425 Chops Point Rd
Woolwich, ME 04579
(207) 443-3080 6.7 K-12
Hyde was an exceptional experience for me and for our family. Our child benefitted from the all-in attitude of the faculty and staff. The Hyde process is a big commitment for both students AND parents. However, the more you put into the experience, the more you get out of it. It's not easy, it's not perfect, but it was transformative.
- Posted by Parent - PEC
The faculty and staff at Hyde are knowledgeable, compassionate, and concerned. They work tirelessly to encourage the best in their students, and in the community. They are a small school, so their academic and extracurricular offerings may be smaller than larger schools, but what they do offer is wonderful. Everyone participates in sports and performing arts, and there are myriad opportunities for creativity and leadership. The character curriculum helps families become closer, and it encourages the students to realize their unique potential in a safe and nurturing community.
- Posted by Parent - KM
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.